Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wide angle suggestion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Wide angle suggestion Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I use a Canon DSLR along with M42 lenses, mainly of Russian manufacture.

I'm looking for a decent wide angle prime, hopefully around 15mm...any suggestions...???

Dougie.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a Samyang 14mm f2.8 in EOS mount.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wide angle suggestion Reply with quote

Bloosman wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a decent wide angle prime, hopefully around 15mm...any suggestions...???

Dougie.

AFAIK Unlike longer focal lengths, it's pretty hard to find wide angle primes that beat modern AF zooms (especially Canon 10-22, Tokina 11-17, etc.) AND cost less.

I use a Distagon 18/4 just because I love MF that much, and a good deal of my compositions involve pre-focusing so I don't want to deal with AF and focus creep from crappy plastic focus rings. But it's only f/4 AND it's not cheap, either. AND it's far from the best of the wide-angle primes. But if you're not that much of an MF lover, and can live with an AF lens, you might seriously want to consider the modern offerings just on the basis of price and image quality both being hard to beat.

You could look into the Flektogon 20/2.8, I've heard good things about it, but from lots of extensive reading online it seems to me that it's pretty soft wide open compared to a modern AF zoom. I haven't used it though so don't quote me.

Wide angles are territory where optical formulas have been improving a lot recently, somewhat unlike the Planar/Sonnar/etc.-based designs for longer focal lengths which have basically been perfected a long time ago and remained more or less the same.

Samyang 14/2.8 shouldn't be a bad choice either. A lot of people rave about it.

Last edited by wuxiekeji on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I still wish to retain MF capabilities, and enjoy experimenting with older equipment...

I'll check out the 20mm Zeiss, although I see they're not exactly cheap....!

Regards.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloosman wrote:

Wide, cheap and good. You can only pick 2. If it is cheap and wide, it won't be very good. If it is wide and good, it won't be very cheap. If it is cheap and good, it won't be very wide.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliott wrote:
Bloosman wrote:

Wide, cheap and good. You can only pick 2. If it is cheap and wide, it won't be very good. If it is wide and good, it won't be very cheap. If it is cheap and good, it won't be very wide.

Yes Elliot, I know...that was a rather ill-thought out reply from myself....

Quality has to be paid for, I know....!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're partial to Soviet glass and 20mm might be wide enough, there is the Mir-20M 20mm f3.5 lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliott wrote:
Since you're partial to Soviet glass and 20mm might be wide enough, there is the Mir-20M 20mm f3.5 lens.

Cheers Elliot, I'll check this one out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliott wrote:
You can get a Samyang 14mm f2.8 in EOS mount.

I would second this suggestion. This is a standout in terms of everything but distortion. Unfortunately it's also a standout in terms of weight and bulk but that is not a problem for everybody.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one thinking of The Vivitar/Tokina 17mm f3.5? It's a real gem.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide angle suggestion Reply with quote

Bloosman wrote:
Hi folks,

Dougie.

i think zeiss make one, but not cheap

http://www.kenrockwell.com/zeiss/slr/15mm-f28.htm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jutland wrote:
Am I the only one thinking of The Vivitar/Tokina 17mm f3.5? It's a real gem.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Samyang 14mm F2.8
Good original price and optically very good
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Samyang-14mm-F2.8-IF-ED-UMC-Aspherical-_lens604.html
sample pics: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic70028.html
Only drawback is some distortion which is common with most of these lenses, which makes it hard to use for architecture. It can be corrected easily in PP though.

Also +1 for Tokina 17mm F3.5
Still good price/quality ratio. A joy to use.

Do you have a FF or normal APS-C DSLR?