Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wide angle lens for my MF Nikon F3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Wide angle lens for my MF Nikon F3 Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I have a Nikon F3HP I love to shoot with. I'm currently using my Tamron 17-35mm AF lens on it, but it seems like a waste, given it's AF and really belongs on my D2X or F5.

So, what could I find in the ~10-35mm range (doesn't have to be exact, but something in that range) that would be MF and possibly (just a bonus) built around the time of the F3HP?

Cheers!
AD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not find a lens between 10 and 14mm that can be used on your F3 HP, is not a Fisheye AND is affordable.

The best bet would perhaps be a Tokina (Vivitar) 3.5/17. The price tag is still not too high and it's quite a good lens.

Click here to see on Ebay.de

Alternatives:

Tamron 3.5/17 (more expensive mostly)
Sigma 14mm (even more expensive)
Sigma 21-35 MF
Tamron 25/24
...[/url]

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nikkor 2.8/24 ais which is one of the best wides I've tried. It should be a nice match with your f3.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any old MF Nikkor would do I think. There are plenty in that focal length range, cheaper ones would be the 24, 28, 35mm.
If you want them contemporary with the camera you could limit yourself to those made in the early-mid 1980s, though most lenses had a long manufacturing life.
If you want recommendations maybe have a look at Men Rockwell's reviews. He's a huge Nikon man and has written up most of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you prefer a nikkor lens or are you open to using any F mount lens?

Personally, I have a Tamron SP 17mm f3.5, Nikkor-N.C 24mm f2.8 (pre ai, converted) and a nikkor 35mm f1.4 AI-s. I left 28mm out as i find it's too close to 35, but the AI-s 28mm f2.8 is supposed to be one of the best there is. My favourite among the above is the 35mm, but it's not really wide.

A few samples from the 24mm f2.8 using my F5 and kodachrome 64:
snow-3 by --Kei--, on Flickr
snow-1 by --Kei--, on Flickr
snow-2 by --Kei--, on Flickr

The tamron 17mm is much wider, but I find it's not quite up to the same level as the nikon 24.
Venice7 by --Kei--, on Flickr
VeniceStMarks- by --Kei--, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any F mount lens, I'm not wedded to Nikkor lenses.
I'd like something with a variable focus to it, rather than a prime, but beggars can't be choosers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be a Tokina RMC 17mm.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the Tokina 17mm RMC in Nikon mount. No complaints but as a sucker for shallow DOF shots I rarely put it on the camera. My 28mm f2 AIS on the other hand I find very useful - a good wide angle but not unnaturally so, and fast enough to give shallow DOF at the very useful minimum focus distance.