Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why is aperture scale reversed / inverted on MIR 1V?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Why is aperture scale reversed / inverted on MIR 1V? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not sure how to phrase my question... but here goes: if I open the aperture wide open on my MIR 1v, the mark on the aperture ring lines up with the white number 16. And if I close the aperture down fully, the mark on the ring lines up with 2.8.

Huh?

Thanks for your explanation,

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I guess the aperture ring has been replaced with one from a lens that turned the other way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's entirely by design.

The two-ring preset system may seem counter-intuitive in today's world where everything is automated. But this was a fairly clever solution before auto-pin lenses came into full use. Essentially the thought was that one would choose the aperture they wanted and set the top ring to this number. One could focus wide-open then the second ring could be moved from wide open to the chosen f-stop setting without ever taking ones eye away from the eyepiece. The dot on that second ring causes a lot of confusion. It isn't really meant to indicate the chosen aperture, only the extremes of the range selected.

For example: Say you want to shoot at f8. If you set the top ring to f8 the second ring should move from f2.8 to f8. It should be noticeable which aperture you're at by the brightness of your viewfinder.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -- but I don't see 2 aperture rings. There seems to be one aperture ring and one focal ring. Nothing else turns, unless it's stuck. There are aperture-like markings behind the focal ring (very near my NEX lens adapter)... does that have soemtihng to do with the preset system that you describe?

Cheers!

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thin top-most ring with the printed aperture numbers is sometimes difficult to move. It has strong click stops. This is the "range-selector" ring that I described.

The ring underneath is thicker and should move smoothly without clicks. Move it over to the f16 position and see if you can move that top ring over a few clicks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moleman!

Yes, you're right! I got the topmost ring to move -- it WAS tight! And I know basically see how the system would have worked on an SLR.

I guess I'll keep the topmost ring at 16... that give me the widest range of aperture choice.

Thanks again!

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also a Helios 44-2 with an reversed aperture ring and wanted to ask this for a long time Smile
On my Helios 44-2 F16 is wide open, F2 is closed down but the numbers are not overhead

I don't think that it's modified... I think it's a missproduction as mine came in mint condition.

Maybe it's woth more for collectors? Laughing Like a blue mauritius Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayUSA wrote:
Moleman!

Yes, you're right! I got the topmost ring to move -- it WAS tight! And I know basically see how the system would have worked on an SLR.

I guess I'll keep the topmost ring at 16... that give me the widest range of aperture choice.

Thanks again!

Jay

Preset is very handy when you meter outside-TTL (Like older Zenits). Just meter, set time and aperture, focus and close the iris.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

common thing with Russian lens.
Helios, Jupiter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also a Helios 44-2 with an reversed aperture ring and wanted to ask this for a long time
On my Helios 44-2 F16 is wide open, F2 is closed down but the numbers are not overhead

I don't think that it's modified... I think it's a missproduction as mine came in mint condition.

Again, this is not a mistake. Read what I wrote in my first post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it was to simplify the design, but it seems to be common with Russian lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I don't know if it was to simplify the design, but it seems to be common with Russian lenses.

60's japanese teles too but the numbering is more sane, the iris closing ring really shows the aperture.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was really stiff. Even after knowing it was a preset lens I though mine had the aperture ring locked, it was really stuck. I usually set the minimum aperture one stop below the light conditions of the location, then I adjust slightly on each shot. Changing the minimum aperture at each shot is tedious IMHO. But the ability to focus wide open is indeed a big plus.

Anyway, great lens. I am actually surprised this lens doesn't have the legendary reputation of other russian cheap lenses. Extremely sharp even wide open. The only negative thing is that the focusing ring is a bit requires a bit too much rotation. Some people like this though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Mir-1B 2-ring preset markings are somewhat insane. I thought mine was just one of those drunk-day productions. But its rings move easily -- well, the range-select ring is firm, but not stiff. All my other 2-ring presets move easily. Without auto-stopdown, the mechanism is pretty robust. A 2-ring isn't quite as elegant as a 1-ring preset, but is simpler and thus less prone to failure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
A 2-ring isn't quite as elegant as a 1-ring preset, but is simpler and thus less prone to failure.

Erm .. what is a 1 ring preset?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
RioRico wrote:
A 2-ring isn't quite as elegant as a 1-ring preset, but is simpler and thus less prone to failure.

Erm .. what is a 1 ring preset?

Jupiter 11A, Industar 61 L/Z ...