Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Who --wouldn't-- take free glass?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Who --wouldn't-- take free glass? Reply with quote

Had a little free time yesterday and was near the local brick-n-mortar camera store, so I stopped in to buy a couple little things.

Turns out, they were cleaning up their "Old, Used and Ancient" corner. You know, the old 'dinosaur' stuff nobody wants any more. There was a large box of old, oddball lenses they had posted on their facebook page. They wanted to clear all this old stuff out, and were either tossing it, donating it or just plain giving it away. And the lenses were part of the "come take what you want out of this box" offer.

Since I knew there were three Nikon F-mount lenses in there, I dove right in. And by pure luck, I was one of the first 3 people to dig into said box of toys.

So by pure happenstance, I ended up walking out with three old-school zoom lenses.......... for free.

Left to right, they are:
RMC Tokina 80-200 f/4 "Close Focus"
Soligor MC 70-210 f/4.5
Super Cosina 80-200 f/4.5-5.6 Macro.

All three have very clean barrels, considering they were all just tossed into a box. And the glass on them is exceptionally clean as well. This is the same box I got my Sigma MiniWide II 28/2.8 a while back for the princely sum of $10.

Later today, I'll take them into the back yard for some test drives. I'm not expecting anything fantastic (save possibly for the Cosina).
I'll probably keep just one of them, and donate the other two to a worthy cause.

If anyone here has any insight to any of them, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would imagine the Cosina will be the worst of the trio, followed by the Soligor and the best is probably the Tokina. But I could be wrong! I look forward to your evaluation. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, some quick-n-dirty tests show they're pretty much on par with each other.

As expected, crisp and clear in the centers, with softness and CA increasing as I get to the corners. And softness increasing with focal length as well. This is expected.

But all 3 are surprisingly sharp, considering their age.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same a few weeks ago. Took a few boxes with old stuff, lenses, cameras, flashes i had in the attic to a nearby charity shop.
They were almost all gone the next day, not for free though...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice "deal". Wink
Congratulaions!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina is very good.
I used it on a Pentax MX from ca. 1980 - 1995.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I also just picked up a 80-200 F4 RMC Tokina I have a bit of live under the front element but despite, it seems fairly useable. as far as cheap 80's zooms go. Have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you should write detailed reviews on them.. :0)