Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which to restore..Ricoh TLS SINGLEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Which to restore..Ricoh TLS SINGLEX Reply with quote

Just asking an opinion on which of these to get restored to working order??
and if you know which is older?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restore? What wrong with the machines? A new battery? Some foam? Mine needs new light seals and mirror buffer, that is it. I like the first model most. I think you can compare the bodynumbers to see which is older.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one with the "Singlex" on the top has a mirror stuck up(by the black sticky stuff),broken self timer and the shutter does not work, by winding on and pushing the button nothing works NO click nothing.

Where as the Ricoh has no timer switch but appears OK ,the shutter works ,the button clicks,I don't have a clue on the battery so I can not say about the meter.

And thanks I should have thought about the serial number Rolling Eyes I would be sending both off to a repair man who would cannibalize one or the other for parts to get the best model working.

Last edited by mo on Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera needs a mercury PX625 so you can take a hearingaid battery with a metal ring around to fit and you can see if the meter is OK. Or a converter for silverbattery ofcourse.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for the one with a working shutter.

Shutter repairs are not worth it on these. Ricoh TLS is a fine sturdy camera body, available very cheap though. You can get plenty of working ones for much less than the cost of repair.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
My vote is for the one with a working shutter.

Shutter repairs are not worth it on these. Ricoh TLS is a fine sturdy camera body, available very cheap though. You can get plenty of working ones for much less than the cost of repair.

+1
Also consider the Sears branded models as well. Identical in function.
The working one you have should give years of service if you give it proper exercise. That shutter should last a couple lifetimes. It's known for it's durability.

I always suggest to folks to avoid using the self timer in old cameras. Self timer jams are are one of the top causes of premature camera death in mechanical cameras.
Others may disagree, this has been my observation however.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts....I am bidding on another Embarassed just for the lens...LOL,Must be the curse of the LBA.... collecting dead camera bodies Confused

I suppose I could glue them to my car Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts....I am bidding on another Embarassed just for the lens...LOL,Must be the curse of the LBA.... collecting dead camera bodies Confused

I suppose I could glue them to my car Very Happy

Noway , keep them and your grand children will love it Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tops of these look hard to remove...I like the one that says "Singlex" better.

I mention that because I have a black Sears body in very nice shape with a very dusty viewfinder and I don't see an easy way under the top cover Confused

The shape of the camera looks just like the quintessential Spotmatic...even has the same meter lever on the side. I'd love to use my Sears but it's so dirty. The lens, on the other hand, is near mint and AWESOME Cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the look of these old cameras as well and would like to preserve them but to get 2 repaired would cost a fortune...so again I will wait and see if I get this other camera...and lens Smile I have not seen any sears sold in Australia "bay only the Ricohs, Singlex so far.can you post a picture of the Sears?
Thanks

Won the TLS and Ricoh 55/2.8 lens for 15.50 + a little bit of postage Very Happy
see how this TLS works and the lovely lens Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one marked "Singlex" on the prism is older.

I don't have any notes on the straight TLS, but I have some on the TLS401, which was a souped-up version of the same camera with a strange dual-eyepiece viewfinder ... I assume that you could disassemble the top end of one of these from my notes, let me know if you'd like a copy.