Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which standard Takumar for my new Spotmatic 1000?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Which standard Takumar for my new Spotmatic 1000? Reply with quote

OK, there are some big Pentax fans out there, I want a nice standard lens for my SP1000. I dont particularly want an f1.4 an f2 or f1.8 will do. There are lots out there and on the bay there are so many versions. I just want a nice one to use on my camera.

What do you recommend and perhaps anyone here got one for sale?

Thanks

edit: this looks cheap enough is it any good? Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the earlier version Phil, that thing just wouldn't look right on a lovely Spottie.. I've got the very early 55 /1.8 Auto Tak' which I adore, I think it's probably the nicest lens I've got. I also have the more common SMC 55 / 2 Super Tak', which is excellent, but has great sentimental value, so I'm not selling either. Although I do have other 50ish M42's that I'll let go to a good home, and a SMC 28 / 3.6 Tak' that I might be persuaded to part with.
My brother just gave me his SP 500 and lenses which adds to my small Pentax collection, but I'd love a SP1000 Cool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine cost a tenner and works lovely. Super condition too!! I'll take a look for the one you said.

I sold all my M42 lenses and the only 50's I have are a Canon, an OM and a bunch of RF's. but the spottie was hard to pass up at £9.99 and no bids a minute before the end.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SP1000 was a cheaper variant (no timer) made for a few years in the early-mid 1970's. The most likely right "kit" lens, to make yours just like new, for the SP1000 would be the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55/2 or very likely the SMC Takumar 55/2, rubber grip and all.

The plain Super-Takumars would have been superceded by the time of the SP1000.

Of course any M42 lens will do just fine in use.

The 55/1.8 and 55/2 are interchangable in every way, and the differences between Super, Super-Multi-Coated and SMC are trivial. Just get a working lens and it will be fine. Most ebay lenses are probably good. If they aren't its usually dirt or fungus and these lenses are easy to clean.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pretty much mint Takumar 2/55 I would be willing to part with, drop me a PM if you're interested Phil. It's the correct one for a Spotmatic as it's actually on a almost mint Spotmatic body that is sadly jammed but might be fixable by My Lloyd Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a super takumar 55/1.8 that is very good. I think it's my tak in the 50mm range.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SP1000 is my favorite Spottie... and yes, it would have been sold with a SMC or S-M-C 55mm, most likely the f/2 - Minifilm wanted $161.95 for the kit in 1975.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Spotmatic clan. I am quite fond of my F, which meters and exposes well after 40 years.
I was fortunate to have a Supertak SMC 50mm f1.4 with my body, and I also have a Flektogon 35mm f2.4. I got both at junk shop prices, but sadly they are probably a bit pricey on the open market (though I am sure they will keep their value or appreciate)

Anyway here is my test roll with the Tak and the Flek
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42858104@N08/sets/72157633193935085/with/8632616644/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have a pretty much mint Takumar 2/55 I would be willing to part with, drop me a PM if you're interested Phil. It's the correct one for a Spotmatic as it's actually on a almost mint Spotmatic body that is sadly jammed but might be fixable by My Lloyd Wink

oohh yes, hang on to that for me Ian, I've unjammed them before, and I've got one for spares as well. But I don't need the lenS, I've got plenty! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave does your SP500 have the unmarked 1/1000th speed?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

oohh yes, hang on to that for me Ian, I've unjammed them before, and I've got one for spares as well. But I don't need the lenS, I've got plenty! Very Happy

My "F" was jammed - hence the good price - but nothing was broken. Remove the baseplate (at your own risk) and you might be able to re-engage the part that has jumped out of place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Dave does your SP500 have the unmarked 1/1000th speed?

I think it has Phil, it certainly has an extra unmarked click after 500, but visually it's hard to tell if the speed is in fact 1000, I think it is. And I haven't actually read anything about the Spotmatic SP500 having the extra speed, unlike the S1a that I've got that is only marked to 500 but is well known for having the 1000 as well. My K, which I think is the oldest of my Pentax's, has 1000 marked on it, and the slow speeds on a front mounted knob.

And they are generally easy to unjam, as Basilisk rightly says. There's plenty of instructions on the internet. But I have had a couple that needed a bit more exploration than the bottom plate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Sure Dave, it's been put to on side for you since we last discussed it. It's in a nice original leather case. I reckon it will be a simple fix, doesn't look like it's had much use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Sure Dave, it's been put to on side for you since we last discussed it. It's in a nice original leather case. I reckon it will be a simple fix, doesn't look like it's had much use.

I shall bring beads and shiny things to exchange, thank you Ian. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just no smallpox blankets or fire water Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

anyhoo, when I sold the Pentax SP1000 it was common knowlege that the only difference between that and the (cheaper) 500 was the cover on the shutter speed dial. The ONLY difference!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right Phil, maybe the lack of self timer as well? Which is a great shame seeing that 'selfies' have become the latest fashion in photography. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

How about a missionary? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if that's a euphemism.... lol

I just got the camera out and it isn't actually jammed, what happens is the shutter fires but stays open until you wind it on. It's in very nice condition so would be worth fixing.

I don't think it's had much use, the shutter curtains look like new.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were hoping to up there in the Lakes this week, but it will be in the spring now. I'll have time to find some goods to trade. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a 00 size shutter if you should come across one, that's the very small size you find on 35mm folders.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I need a 00 size shutter if you should come across one, that's the very small size you find on 35mm folders.

Camera fair in a couple of weeks, I'll look for one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I think you're right Phil, maybe the lack of self timer as well? Which is a great shame seeing that 'selfies' have become the latest fashion in photography. Rolling Eyes

They never had a self timer, the 500 or the 1000. Part of building it to a price. The cameras labelled Spotmatic had timers, the SP's didnt.

Incidentally you can take a selfie with this camera. Hold it at arms length, look right down the lens and press the shutter. Selfies don't use a timer. Most smartphone owners don't even know where it is. like me for example.