Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which petri lens is this?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Which petri lens is this? Reply with quote

Hello.

A friend of mine has a petri lens for sale. The problem is, he does not knows the model, only says it is huge and has separate tripod mount and also he says there were some letters like on the silver part, 150 180 200 (can't tell whenever this is zoom or just focus distance). We've checked online, and his lens is the 2nd one from the left in the rear row, as pictured here:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/petri/petri_ftee/body22.jpg

There's also a description of the lens, but description lists 12 lens, while there are pictured only 10:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/petri/petri_ftee/petri_ftee-2.htm

He has this lens at father's house, which is 300 miles away, so he'd like to know the model, prior going to take it, whenever it will worth efforts or not?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you will find an adapter for the Petri bayonet on your camera.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the listed lenses are not pictured,such as the 500 and 1000mm.
The two big ones in the back right are 400/6.3 and 300/5.5 presets made by Tokina.
The second from left (your friends) is a zoom, but I'm not sure of the model. It may not be one of the types listed. I want to say it resembles a huge old 75-230/4.5 made I think by Sigma (a very early one!) for Yashica, and probably others too. Italso may resemble an unidentified trombone style early 80-200 zoom also sold by Petri. It may well be something else . Petri certainly took stuff from a lot of makers. That preset zoom in front for instance is from Sun. There have to be at least four manufacturers represented in that lineup, maybe more.

Its most certainly not worth driving 300 miles for. The gas will cost you way more than its worth. And then there's the problem of adapting it. There are no adapters from Petri to anything.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

Considering that it has 150-180-200 etc letters, and as friend says, the 200 was the highest number, I assume that this is zoom, with maximum of 200mm. Also, friend says that tripod mount looks like old canon mounts, i.e. it allows to swing lens up and down.

I have succesfully converted petri 50mm/F2 to Sony A mount (have necessary mahcinery and tools), so conversion itself is not a big problem. The question is, say ok, sometime when going to that direction, will this lens worth getting at all, in terms of image quality? The 50mm/F2 I got is quite good, better in terms of CA and sharpenss that say best of Helios-44 series, which I have a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked ebay, as friend says, exactly this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Petri-80-200-4-5-655372-W-Hood-/261201173261?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cd0cd9b0d

80-200/4.5

$275 ?

are they nuts? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called the neighbour, who went and took the picture. Yes this is 80-200 F4.5 model. Any impressions on image quality?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Checked ebay, as friend says, exactly this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Petri-80-200-4-5-655372-W-Hood-/261201173261?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cd0cd9b0d

80-200/4.5

$275 ?

are they nuts? Smile

Yes, they are nuts indeed. This seller asks exorbitant prices for everything he sells. That zoom may be worth one fifth of this, and can probably be found for much less with a little patience because one doesn't see it frequently. Only it looks exotic and many buyers go for that.
In terms of optical quality, I've used many Petri branded lenses many years ago and in my experience they are mostly quite decent. Some, the standard FL ones mostly, are even very good. But, as some here have said, many Petri lenses were made by someone else, so it's hard to tell what the IQ will be, especially with the zooms. This gear comes from the middle-sixties, when zoom technology was not what it is today and the difference in IQ between prime lenses and zooms was very significant. I would expect decent performance, nothing more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, it is not "trombone" (push-pull) one, but standard, rotary type zoom.

So, if I understood correctly, theres no chances of discovering "gem" lens, so let it lay where it is?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Forgot to mention, it is not "trombone" (push-pull) one, but standard, rotary type zoom.

So, if I understood correctly, theres no chances of discovering "gem" lens, so let it lay where it is?

Most zooms in those days were double action types. And I think you're right that the chances of it being a gem are slight. Then again, if you find you like the way the lens feels in your hands (an important consideration) it may just be worthwhile to you as an interesting lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right, you have ID'd the lens.
I don't think I have seen a similar one in another brand.
So possibly unique to Petri, unlikely as that seems.
Petri didn't make lenses, they ordered them from other makers with Petri style mounts and cosmetic designs. This was usual for the lower tier of SLR makers of the time, Yashica, Mamiya, Ricoh, etc. Even Topcon bought in a few of theirs from Sun. Later some of them started making their own.

This is an interesting looking lens and as a collector I would probably pick one up if I had a chance to do it cheaply, because I am nuts. But there are few like me. Its not worth much as there are few Petri collectors or third party lens collectors. 1960s zooms are not popular.

As for use, you can certainly get a much better lens for under $20 from eBay.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I just got Vivitar 70-210/4.5 for $0.99+5.80 shipping Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Yep I just got Vivitar 70-210/4.5 for $0.99+5.80 shipping Smile

The Kobori one? I picked up one of those brand new in the box a while ago for about that price, really not bad optically and pretty light.

My latest telephoto zoom was a Sears 60-300 f4-5.6 that was essentially free to me, I'm quite impressed by it. I expected it to be almost unusable. It focuses close, has pretty good color rendering and is reasonably sharp. Of course, it has some purple fringing, zoom creep and really needs a hood in harsh light. I've seen them sell for as little as $10 in a desirable mount like Pentax K.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, serial starts with 77.

I also got for cheap (<10$) Sigma 60-300 and Tokina 60-300 for minolta AF, but I can say, both are a hefty piece of poo, especially at tele end (tokina being a bit better in sharpness but worse in CA). You have to close aperture to F9-11, to get acceptable results....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
I also got for cheap (<10$) Sigma 60-300 and Tokina 60-300 for minolta AF, but I can say, both are a hefty piece of poo, especially at tele end (tokina being a bit better in sharpness but worse in CA). You have to close aperture to F9-11, to get acceptable results....

The Sears can be usable wide open, even at 300mm. It'll never compete with a prime, but it is surprisingly good. If you want something in that range and come across one cheap I think it is worth having.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have 300mm primes, (tair 300/4.5 and Yashma 300/2.Cool, but they are made with tank materials and weight accordingly, so I want something lighter and preferably with AF.