Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which lens is this? (35-70mm/3.5)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Which lens is this? (35-70mm/3.5) Reply with quote

Can anyone recognize this lens?

It came without the nameplate. Surprised It's for the Minolta SR mount, was mounted to a Minolta X-700 and came with a Minolta lens cap but I'm not sure if it's actually a Minolta lens. Judging by the way all the markings line up it's a 35-70mm/3.5-5.6 or something like that (definitely not the Minolta 35-70/3.5). It's very light, made mostly of plastic and optically not very good. I'd just like to find out what it is before I throw it out.

Btw, the previous owner wasn't helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Minolta MD 35-70 f/3.5-4.8.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a Sigma or something like that, Never throw out a lens, It can always be used for spare parts, you see the nice rubber grip on there easy to remove and use on another lens, I used one from a broken cosinon 200mm f3.5 to repair the missing one from a Konica 85mm F1.8 lens now looks stock again and value tripled from what i paid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
This is Minolta MD 35-70 f/3.5-4.8.

I agree positively, there is a review here, its identical. http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_3195.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Probably a Sigma or something like that, Never throw out a lens, It can always be used for spare parts, you see the nice rubber grip on there easy to remove and use on another lens, I used one from a broken cosinon 200mm f3.5 to repair the missing one from a Konica 85mm F1.8 lens now looks stock again and value tripled from what i paid

+1 !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also vote for Minolta, the build is almost exact to my Minolta MD 28-70, same shape, same engravings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Smile Yes, it looks like it's a Minolta after all. I won't throw it away of course, but it probably won't see the light of day very often either. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be a good lens, perhaps it's worth another try?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by just a few quick test shots it's not horrible but it's not exactly stellar either. I'd say a typical early zoom lens. Usable but not really outstanding.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina made kit lens. Very common in many names including being branded by some some camera makers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina made a Minolta lens? - I thought Minolta were one of only a few who made their own from the glass upwards. Cosina allegedly makes everyones lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually used to have a Cosina and indeed - it's a dead ringer for Minolta. I've always known that Nikon 35-70 was Cosina - but it did not occur to me that the same lens could have two major brand names.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is slightly different though. It focuses down to 0.4m while mine goes only to 0.5m.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's slightly different - you've probably also noticed that it zooms in the opposite direction. As far as MFD is concerned - it is dependent on focal plane distance - think of moving the lens from Minolta to Nikon like putting it on a 2.78mm extension tube.

PS. I distinctly remember shooting with this lens and thinking - "not half bad".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Cosina made a Minolta lens? - I thought Minolta were one of only a few who made their own from the glass upwards. Cosina allegedly makes everyones lenses.

Minolta did manufacture their own glass at one time. By the mid to late 80s just about all of the major manufacturers went to subcontractors for lenses and even cameras. The high specification lenses were made in house but the consumer market stuff was generally subbed out and Cosina was a major subcontractor for just about all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what I picked up today in Canon EF mount as part of a job lot. Similar?