Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which is 'THE' Minolta lens to own?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is 'THE' Minolta lens to own? Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
bogolisk wrote:
andyw wrote:
I remember a while back being pointed in the direction of a Minolta lens which was superb!! i mean really really good but i can't remember which one it was. I think it may be the 38mm but not sure and i can't remember what the widest aperture was either. Any clue's?

Is it the 38mm f2.8?

Many thanks

I don't have them but I've read that:

• the 58mm 1.2 has mesmerizing bokeh.
  • the 24mm 2.8 has leica-like sharpness.

Actually, the Leica 24/2.8 is made by Minolta

I have the newer MD 24/2.8 Minolta, it's an amazing lens but not as good as the Leica/Minolta MC 24/2.8 version.

Another great lenses are the 16mm fish-eye (it's so sharp that is unfair), and the 28 f/2 (very sharp wide open)

The 28 f2's are going up to. I 've been watching them. The last one sold for $186 US. There is one on Ebay right now at .88 cents, but the auction has a long way to go.

I'm not bidding on it. Heres the link, for anyone that's interested.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Rokkor 100mm f2 Reply with quote

The Rokkor 100/2 seems quite rare. I recently found one with a set of Minolta equipment, and so far, I'm very impressed by sharpness and bokeh. When I have some worthwhile shots, I'll post them!

Regarding wide angle, I'd second the Hexanon 40/1.8 or Minolta 45/2, both available at bargain prices. If you want the ultimate pancake, then the Contax 45.2,8 is a gem, too.

estudleon wrote:
The S-M-C 1,4/50 is a great lens small and light.

And the rokkor 2/100?

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Rokkor-Pf 58mm f/1.4 -also a sweet lens to own
Lens mount =Modified T-Mount to Sony AF/Maxxum mount. I got this DIY information from Pete Ganzel's (of Dyxxum fame)"Tinkering" page @
http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/58mm_rokkkor_adapted_to_maxxum_7d
Arkku, also has a good tutorial on his Flickr page, on converting the F/1.2 Rokkor lens -which I enjoyed reading, before I modified my F/1.4.

Photos taken with Minolta Rokkor-Pf 58mm f/1.4 , mounted on a Sony APS-C DSLR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. I love the rokkor 58s

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Minolta guy in high school, so I have a soft spot for old Rokkors. I have a big stack of Rokkor normals, and haven't really put them through their paces. The 45/2 is tiny and tack sharp. I have a 58/1.2 that I got cheap, but it must be a bad copy, because I'm not impressed. (sad, because I *love* its sister, the 85/1.Cool The 58/1.4 is a great lens, and reasonably priced, I think because it isn't a 1.2. Smile

Nobody's mentioned the 35/1.8, which is a fantastic piece of glass (sorry, I'm away from home and without samples). I have a 28/2.5 that appears to be of similar design, but I haven't done anything with it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
40 mm? hexanon 1,8 is a very good one.

I just (as in last night) finished a mount conversion on one of these to 4/3. If you came to m4/3 though 4/3, then this is a great mount, and saves you an adapter.

It turns out the bayonet is roughly compatible, but the depths are slightly wrong. There's a conversion kit for this lens that I found on the bay, and it's pretty nice. It consists of tiny shims to put under the mount, a small piece to replace the auto lever in coupling the aperture ring to the iris, and a shim that mounts on the bayonet face.

The lens locks in place, and other than the fact that it's rotated about 30 degrees, it looks like it was made for the camera.

Will get pics and samples up after I shoot with it this weekend.

Edit: the vendor's site is http://www.nanoer.com/, and he sells under that name on eBay as well. http://myworld.ebay.com/nanoer/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@natebarnz:

Thank you . I would like to acquire / add on a Rokkor-Pf 58mm f1.2, -and I have been looking for sometime now but they want an arm and a leg for one, at most of the places I have looked.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best of all lens(and probably the best boken possible)it's the unique Minolta 135 2.8 STF (minolta AF but manual focus only)

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=76

With it's apodization filter can deliver the best boken ever,sharpness and image quality is over the top also!

The only problem is that it actually cost 1000€ or more!!!! Shocked

If you mean minolta md/rokkor the 85,58,21 and other lens are awesome but hard to find and not cheap;on minolta af the beercans are very common,relativy cheap and can actually deliver awesome results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late on this one, the Rokkor MC 58 1.4 is very good, but the best i've used is the Rokkor X 50mm 1.4. Fantastic construction ( i read that Leica was involved somehow, i might be wrong though cos it's for some cameras. if one knows , please specify Very Happy ) very good sharpness, and besides that veeery cheap nowadays : 50$ for a clean one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Plokko
Quote:
If you mean minolta md/rokkor the 85,58,21 and other lens are awesome but hard to find and not cheap;on minolta af the beercans are very common,relativy cheap and can actually deliver awesome results

I was talking about the "'Rokkor 58mm f1.2". The lenses you mention are like you said" hard to find and not cheap ", and I am sure they would enhance anyones collection.

Quote:
The best of all lens(and probably the best boken possible)it's the unique Minolta 135 2.8 STF (minolta AF but manual focus only)

The Minolta 135 2.8 STF is of course a very x 2 nice lens for the reasons you mentioned, and I too love the bokeh it produces,but IMO bokeh is more in the vein of personal taste,like beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

The Beercan too, its legendary but thats another subject.

Anyway I was going with the notion that we were talking about manual Minolta lenses.Laughing

Best regards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Minolta 135mm f/2.8 t/4.5 STF)
Plokko wrote:

The only problem is that it actually cost 1000€ or more!!!! :shock:

To be fair, it is quite easy to find on the used market for several hundred euros less, but it's not exactly a cheap lens in any case. I wonder, though, if it was available in other mounts, would it be more popular. Lots of lenses have become famous for their bokeh, but this is truly the smoothest of all…

(Now it could be adapted to µ4/3, but the 2× crop factor pretty much kills that plan. It's best combined with full frame.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n6mod wrote:
I was a Minolta guy in high school, so I have a soft spot for old Rokkors. I have a big stack of Rokkor normals, and haven't really put them through their paces. The 45/2 is tiny and tack sharp. I have a 58/1.2 that I got cheap, but it must be a bad copy, because I'm not impressed. (sad, because I *love* its sister, the 85/1.8 ) The 58/1.4 is a great lens, and reasonably priced, I think because it isn't a 1.2. Smile

Nobody's mentioned the 35/1.8, which is a fantastic piece of glass (sorry, I'm away from home and without samples). I have a 28/2.5 that appears to be of similar design, but I haven't done anything with it.

I have the 35/1.8 and to be honest, I think the Minolta 35/2 AF version is better, with better bokeh and sharper wide open.

Maybe I'll do a comparison with both lenses Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might as well share this....

Minolta Rokkor 100/2.0 ... on 5D MkII

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. I want that lens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me over an year to find one....... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile You were lucky if find under a year , damn fine lens indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutelly stunning!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n6mod wrote:
Nobody's mentioned the 35/1.8, which is a fantastic piece of glass (sorry, I'm away from home and without samples)....

I have a Minolta MC W. Rokkor - HH 35 mm 1.8 - with metal focus grip - and I like that lens too, especialy the bokeh.

The Rokkor MD 58/1.2 is also a lens I like very much.

The 45/2.0 is for me not that interessting, I build a kind of EF macro lens out of it, I think the sharpness is not that good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
absolutelly stunning!

Oh my.....
You have a quite of minolta collection there....!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my 2p worth that might help someone......I have two Minolta cameras and one older MF Minolta lens 58mm f1.4 MC PF and I'm not impressed with the lens, compared to my other standard lenses e.g. Olympus, Nikon, Konica, Canon, Meyer, Helios.
I'd put it on a level of my 55mm f1.8 auto-Tak for sharpness (which is my least sharp nifty fifty lens).

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a Minolta PF lens...?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM wrote:
What is a Minolta PF lens...?

The two letters are a code for the number of optical groups and elements:

First Letter (no. of groups): T=3; Q=4; P=5; H=6; S=7; O=8; N=9.
Second Letter (no. of elements): C=3; D=4; E=5; F=6; G=7; H=8; I=9; J=10; K=11; L=12.

So PF = 5 groups and 6 elements

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very comprehensive explanation Peter - thanks and apologies for being lazy Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently bought another Minolta lens:

Minolta MD 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 Paid around $11 USD (equivalent) for it. It had an extensive patch of light fungus on one inside element, which I removed. It took me a while to get into the right group, as this one had a threaded ring that was locked with lock-tight (or whatever they use) I had to remove it with acetone, which involved some patience.

To tell you the truth, I wasn't expecting anything special from this lens.
When I got it back together, imagine my surprise, when I discovered the performance on a 4/3 sensor is very good!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's the same as the AF version. There were two Minolta AF versions, the older one being better. I have it and it's my favorite of the AF lenses I have. Very sharp and very good bokeh. If you like cars, you might enjoy this gallery - all shots with 35-105.
http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/amelia