Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which canon FL lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Which canon FL lenses? Reply with quote

Are there any of the canon fl lenses good to buy now, in 2013?

1,2/55; 2,5/35; 1,4/50, 3,5/19 R?

Are they good? Any other?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I've tried is the 55mm f/1.2. It's good, although bit of an “effect lens” (but that's usually the case with f/1.2's).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, FL lenses are certainly no worse than Zeiss Jena or Minolta MC of the same vintage, people certainly do buy those Wink

I have only two budget FL lenses: 1.8/50 and 3.5/135 and I like them. Compared to later FD lenses, you get weaker coating, smoother rendering, prettier slimmer lenses (lower weight too compared to breechlock FDs, but higher weight compared to FDn), and A/M switch. FDn will likely be a better bet in terms of resolution and contrast, FLs are a bit more retro, but not without charm and performance. Here are some of my FL 50mm f1.8 shots:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55/1.2 is good, I also like the 58/1.2 which has a nice rendering.
I have a bunch more FL's but hardly use them as I always seem to be trying other lenses.
I did just pick up an FL 35/2.5, it has a small hump on the back that hits a part on the adapter so it won't mount fully.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just file down the screw in the adapter (or even remove it completely as the lens has A/M switch so the screw is not needed)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Which canon FL lenses? Reply with quote

sonyrokkor wrote:
Are there any of the canon fl lenses good to buy now, in 2013?

1,2/55; 2,5/35; 1,4/50, 3,5/19 R?

Are they good? Any other?

The best performer in the lineup is probably the FL 50/1.4 II. One of the sharpest lenses at f1.4 I have ever used on any platform. The older type I is more compact but significantly softer.

High speed options are the 58/1.2 and the 55/1.2. I especially liked the 58 on film for its unique signature.

Last edited by Bille on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I did just pick up an FL 35/2.5, it has a small hump on the back that hits a part on the adapter so it won't mount fully.

See here
http://billead.com/canonfl/#howto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you've got a great site with Canon FL/Fujinon/Hexanon info. Someone has posted the link to it not so long ago. Nice to see you here. Is it 100% sure that there is no way to mount 19mm FL on NEX? It looks like a great lens, being so small and non-retrofocus. How many mm does one lack to mount it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Hey, you've got a great site with Canon FL/Fujinon/Hexanon info. Someone has posted the link to it not so long ago. Nice to see you here. Is it 100% sure that there is no way to mount 19mm FL on NEX? It looks like a great lens, being so small and non-retrofocus. How many mm does one lack to mount it?

The problem is the plastic frame surrounding the sensor (which can be seen here for example http://www.futurepicture.org/Kinect_Hacking/Powershot_IR_Mod/thumbs/Nex_Sensor_IR_Cutoff_Filter_CIMG0771.jpg). It may mount on an MFT body or a Samsung NX or the Ricoh GXR ... or a future full frame NEX model.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought that the sensor baffle would be the problem. However, perhaps one can trim (or remove) the hood that protects the rear lens element?

On m4/3 I think the sensor baffle would be an issue too, but even if not, I don't think the lens would make sense on m4/3. Pany 20mm pancake would likely be better wide open than this lens at f4.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
See here http://billead.com/canonfl/#howto

Excellent page! I Have several Canon FL bodies and lenses. Wish there were a useful way to adapt them to my EOS. Thanks for the link to my Canon page.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Thanks for the link to my Canon page.

You are welcome. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gentlemen, one more time.

Excelent site.

I just to buy a 19/3,5 R FL to my nex 3. Well, good luck to me, didn't the purchase !!!!

The 1,4/50 FL II have great fame among my friends. The same like the 1,2/58 (it came with the pellix, if i'm right).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FL 19mm F3.5 R is a retrofocus lens, you should be able to fit it to any mirrorless. The lens that has issues is FL 19mm F3.5 (without R, but with protruding rear element).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fermy

Now, I will have to spend the money....... Very Happy