Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which 300mm lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
As I understand it, and that means I'm probably wrong, a 100% crop of an image means a 1:1 ratio between the image pixels and the pixels in the monitor you are viewing it on. Thus, a 1280 x 1024 monitor displays a 1280 x 1024 picture at 100%.

A 100% crop of a 3072x2048 image means zooming in until you see a 1280 x 1024 crop of it. Of course, at the same zoom level, you can then take a 640x480 section of that image (or any other convenient size) and that is also a 100% crop !!!! Gawd, no wonder it's confusing!

A lot simpler to zoom until photoshop tells you it's 100% and then take a crop of that!

Of course, all this means that a 100% crop to one person, is only a 100% crop to another, if they have the same monitor resolution Twisted Evil

Aye, that sums it up, I just zoomed in in photoshop told me it was 100% then cropped it, this is always how I do my 100% crops.

I would love to hear some suggestions on how to PP that moon shot to improve it, I didn't get very far.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian: It sounds like you have the image maximized when you zoom and crop. The crop must be a certain size portion of that image that you can't accurately crop from a maximized image, so you must have the image in the window size that it is when originally opened. Then zoom to 100%, reposition the image inside the allowable frame and then crop to the borders of that frame. See here as an example - paying attention to the navigation window in upper right corner.

Sorry if this is a hijack - not intended, but trying to bring understanding and closure to this technique.