Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's going on with my Hexanon 57mm 1.2?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakyaputta wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:
Hey everyone, I ended up offering to see if I could get slimyfishy's lens working for him, so he sent it my way, and I did indeed fix it today. Along the way, I made some interesting observations...

Heavens bless all the good people like you, Brian! 🙏

Very educating and entertaining reading your process too! 👍

He's a master, hat off
By the way, if I remember correctly ,on his Flickr there's a cla for the topcor 1.4 version
Little by little , these kind of knowledge it's just so much in danger of extinction, there's only one place around me that would work on these lenses (used to be 4-5) but it's very unprofessional, I'm not sure if it's because of extensive work he has , or he's lack of interest to deal with these oldies and charge properly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Sakyaputta wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:
Hey everyone, I ended up offering to see if I could get slimyfishy's lens working for him, so he sent it my way, and I did indeed fix it today. Along the way, I made some interesting observations...

He's a master, hat off
By the way, if I remember correctly ,on his Flickr there's a cla for the topcor 1.4 version
Little by little , these kind of knowledge it's just so much in danger of extinction, there's only one place around me that would work on these lenses (used to be 4-5) but it's very unprofessional, I'm not sure if it's because of extensive work he has , or he's lack of interest to deal with these oldies and charge properly.

The techniques aren't all that hard to master; mostly it is a matter of practice and perseverance (especially assembling multi-start helicoids). I would suggest a few more members have a go; there are plenty lenses around to practice on that are of very little value and of no historic importance. It would be good to keep these skills preserved among a number of MF lens enthusiasts, if only to help answer questions when someone is stuck.

If you find you actually enjoy being able to your own CLA on lenses, then the proper tools required aren't prohibitively expensive either, with the exception of good quality vernier calipers; don't go for a false-economy budget one there, Mitutoyo calipers come highly recommended.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments again, folks!

The Topcor series I did was more a partial teardown walkthrough than a full CLA instructional, but I'm glad it's helped some folks out there. I had received one of these lenses that had an issue with the aperture blades (busted off pivot) and separation in one of the cemented groups, and I did take pictures through that process, so I figured I'd share them for anyone else who wanted to attempt something similar. I ended up losing the shots when I did the aperture fix, so that section's missing, and honestly, it was the toughest part of the repair, so I'm a little regretful of that, but I've still been glad to hear folks have found it useful.

Putting together the walkthrough was at least as much work as the actual repair was, so I really appreciate the work that other folks have done providing similar information on the internet. Such walkthroughs were invaluable to me when I first got into the hobby of lens/camera repair a decade ago, so hopefully I can give back in my own little way. If I find the free time at some point, I might try to put together a series of walkthroughs that discuss some of the more general principles behind various lens designs and tips for their repair in a home/workshop setting, as there's a ton of stuff specific to particular lenses out there if you know what to look for, but very little that treat the more generally applicable knowledge, tips and tricks, etc. that come from plain old-fashioned experience.

It's not for everyone, but it can be a very rewarding hobby. I've certainly achieved a lot of satisfaction getting many old lenses that would otherwise be destined for the dumpster back out there and taking pictures, both in my own hands, and in those of others. Through reselling and trading repaired lenses, I've also been able to play with a LOT of really cool equipment that I probably never would have gotten a chance to otherwise. While I like to consider myself a fairly competent photographer, I'm not a pro, so without the repair end of things, I probably never would have been able to justify to myself some of the expenditures I've made on various classic/exotic/obscure equipment.

Plus, as a person really into puzzles and the like, I just find it so d**n fun!

kiddo wrote:
Sakyaputta wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

He's a master, hat off

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also dabbled in the CLA regime and find it very rewarding. I am not too adventurous, though and won't break into a valuable lens. I figured that out after ruining some lesser gear. I would currently not have the guts for example to try a repair on a Konica 57 1.2, or Zeiss pancolar 80. I have opened and fixed quite a few others, including a topcon re 50mm 1.8, a petri orrikor 35mm 3.5 lots of enlarger lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I have also dabbled in the CLA regime and find it very rewarding. I am not too adventurous, though and won't break into a valuable lens.

Same here. I did repair a Steinheil Quinar 135 2.8 that was bricked (the focus was completely stuck), which was a very fun experience. That lens is extremely heavy because it's incredibly (and beautifully) over-engineered. The design is quite simple though, so I had no major problems. Now the focus is buttery smooth, which is nice.