Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What would you do?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: What would you do? Reply with quote

Hi guys!

My 40D is broke. After just 4 months it died but likely I has warranty on it from my used Photo gear seller in hamburg. So now I'm on the edge of what now!

I was at the dealer today and they would give me the money back but I did a steal at my 40D 4 Months ago for just 350€ (actually traded it for my D200), for which I wouldn't get one now. The other options would be to get a new camera from them and being able to get some discount! So I looked at what they got at the moment and there are two camera to think about, both would cost me about 100€ plus the refund. The cameras are a 40D or a 1D Mark 1.

So I could get a newer 40D for 100€ or get an older but more pro 1D for the same.

In favor of the 40D are the batteries, CF cards and the Ef-S screen I already bought, the bigger screen and newer technology. In favor of the 1D are a bigger Sensor, better AF, much bigger viewfinder and the tremendously better build of the 1D. Negatives for the 1D are shorter battery life, tiny screen and slow processing and the need to buy new CF cards and new batteries.

So now I'm unsure!

The IQ is said to be roughly the same with an edge in sharpness on the 1D.

I don't crop a lot. Most of my pictures are for the web or printed A4 and just some are printed large (50*70cm). I love shallow depth of field and do a lot of birding.

What do you think? Take the famous dinosaur which makes you focus more on the raw photography again and makes you think more about the framing because you can't crop a lot. Or take the newer tinier plastic camera which I got to like a lot in the last months.

I confess that I'm a gear junkie who really like to try new old thinks and I'm somewhat longing for the body of my old friend the Nikon D1x for some time. Another think speaking for the 1D is some kind of refusal to pay a premium and get the same camera I send in for repairs!

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love shallow depth of field and do a lot of birding
So I could get a newer 40D for 100€ or get an older but more pro 1D for the same

can you take the 2 for 200€ Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 100€ on top of the 350€ I get back for my broken 40D...!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full frame (or much closer to it than APS-C) and viewfinders are soooo wonderful with MFlenses!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly my main thinking at the moment!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, fullframe is nice, but keep in mind that the 1D is a huge cam!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a 40D and didn't find it hugely different to the 400D I had before. Some people really rate the 40D I do know.
I couldn't wait to get to FF.

Your choice? Assuming that both the 40D and the 1Di are in similar condition with similar numbers of actuations?

40D is 1.6x crop, 1Di is 1.3x crop.
1Di is a pro body but the i is quite old technology.
If you need a high fps rate it's the better one of the 2.
The 40D with a battery grip is no different in size to the 1D.

My advice? Handle both bodies with one of your lenses and see which you prefer. If you're still undecided I'd take the money and shop around. Honestly I would.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at the 1D MKI and instantly said no. Yes it's pro and has fast AF, but the resolution is low, the LCD is terrible, the camera is huge and I didn't like the button layout.

Horses for courses though, it's best you go and try it out before making a decision.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ManualFocus-G: That is my problem! My brain says 40D because of the specs but as soon as I had the 1D in my Hands it was so nice, it felt just right and like coming back home again (Had Nikon D1 and D1x).

That's why I'm butchering myself what to do!

Heart says 1D, brain 40D...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

350€ is too much for 1D
450€ is too much for 40D

Take the money and get something newer or look for a better deal elsewhere Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
350€ is too much for 1D
450€ is too much for 40D

Take the money and get something newer or look for a better deal elsewhere Wink

Take the money and look else where

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys! I will see if they go down with the price or take the money!

How are the experiences shooting with a Olympus e-P1 when coming from classic DSLR and using MF lenses. I do a lot of birding and Street. I know that it must be great for street but I don't know about birding and using it with the 300mm Nikkor! Any experiences?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the 40D. Great camera.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the refund is 350 euro (a set amount) do some shopping around online and see what else is out there for that price.Always compare prices... well at least 3 prices to give yourself some idea of what is normal... Very Happy Plus as they have pointed out you have 350 and only add a little more you could get any camera you want...don't rush in buying their 2nd hand!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mo: true words! But the flesh is weak! I will go to the shop tomorrow, to collect my refund and look at an e-P1 and then we will see!

I will not tai the ancient 1D and I don't like the idea of spending more money on a camera I already had!

Lets see what they are offering! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:
@mo: true words! But the flesh is weak! I will go to the shop tomorrow, to collect my refund and look at an e-P1 and then we will see!

I will not tai the ancient 1D and I don't like the idea of spending more money on a camera I already had!

Lets see what they are offering! Rolling Eyes

Damn flesh... Laughing Laughing I look forward to seeing what you get...keep us posted.Olympus is nice.. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Damn flesh... I look forward to seeing what you get...

Me too! Me too...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:
The IQ is said to be roughly the same with an edge in sharpness on the 1D.

???
1D is 4 Mpix.