Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What would you do in this situation?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: What would you do in this situation? Reply with quote

To get good exposure of the statue and the background church, without blowing out the sky? Standing on the opposite side of the statue is not an option.

http://imgur.com/vRiPLox
I want perfect dynamic range with full detail in the clouds, no blown out areas, but also full detail at ground level.

Obviously the scene is too large to use a fill flash.

Would you use a graduated ND filter? A CPL filter? Would you spot meter on the statue? HDR bracketing?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1kgcoffee wrote:
Standing on the opposite side of the statue is not an option.

What about waiting 6-12 hours? (joking)

For me, the first obvious answer would be hdr bracketing, or even only two exposures to be blended in PP, paying attention to not produce some irreal looking result (imho, the sky needs to be much brighter than the statue, so I would expose the sky so that it is almost blown out, and the statue so that it has readable shadow details, but it should still be quite dark).
Shall I do it with one single shot, I would use the histogram to expose the sky to the extreme right (sometimes you can recover detail even if it looks a bit blown), and then work in PP to bring out shadow detail.
Obviously you would need to shoot in raw, as jpeg compression tends to cut information at the extremes of the histogram, making detail recovery much harder.
I'm not an expert with filters, but I doubt they will help much in this situation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expose for the shadows and add the sky in with Photoshop ?.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDR, 5 exposures 1 stop apart.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a graduated ND filter?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a grad is that the subject and sky are occupying the same space. If it were a landscape that would be different.

I'd take one of the sky as it is and one of the statue, point the camera to the base of the statue, hold the exposure lock and re-frame. Blend in photoshop. I'm not sure how RAW would work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do in this situation? Reply with quote

1kgcoffee wrote:
I want perfect dynamic range with full detail in the clouds, no blown out areas, but also full detail at ground level.

like this?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are using sony nex, set dynamic range to level 5 and shoot in raw. but hdr is the way.
light measurement on the subject.

sony compact (lens not changeable) has yellow intelligent mode (in additional to green intelligent mode) will automatically fires 2-3 images and compile an hdr output in camera. and it does amazingly good job.

d800 also allow dynamic range as sony a7r. these share same sensor.

Awesome PP Jan .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just a quickie Wink

In photoshop duplicate the layer.. adjust one for perfect sky and the other one for shadows. Blend them together..
If you shoot two pictures with different exposure and use them instead.. it will be even better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
if you are using sony nex, set dynamic range to level 5 and shoot in raw. but hdr is the way.
light measurement on the subject.

I thought that if you set dynamic range to a specific level and then shoot raw this is just ignored.. I thought that dynamic range levels are for jpeg files only
A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses! This forum is invaluable.

Tedat, that is exactly what I wanted I'm amazed you were able to pull out so much detail from a jpeg.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's easy to rescue details in dark areas (shadows), but nearly impossible in highlights.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I always do in this situation is take a meter reading for the sky and take a meter reading for the foreground. I then go for a happy medium between the two. You should get a pretty nice histogram with all info available then where the sky might still be a little overexposed and the shadows a little underexposed. But because it should not be too far off it can be easily corrected in PP without degrading image quality. Never fails for me. Smile