Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What went wrong here? Backlit photos.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: What went wrong here? Backlit photos. Reply with quote

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

Obviously it was not the best idea to shoot this picture like that ( the window was like 10ft behind the armchair ), but still something seems terribly wrong. The lens was Samyang 85/1.4 at aroung f2. I can't name what happened here...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did something go wrong ? A loss of contrast from shooting into bright light , the background blown out from metering on Kitty , Shallow DOF from the wide aperture . And all managed quite nicely by your lenses coatings . The White Balance may have been shifted a little but only you would know the answer to that for sure .

I have many lenses that would have give almost no image at all under these conditions Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what is the problem, the cat look nice
if you don't like the way the background is rendered, it is digital who don't work nice with overexposure
you can underexpose your cat to get more of the highlight and recover the shadows in post processing
or use film who deal better with this kind of scene

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena, try shooting in raw as well as jpg. It will allow you to tone down some of the highlights. Apparently D90s have really good dynamic range (especially if shooting ISO 100 - 200), this will give you a heap of data to play with.

Of course the trouble with that is that a good portion of your cat is also white.

See how you go.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see what is wrong here.
In such scene, use manual mode, shot raw, fix wb, spot meter on the cat.
F2 might give too shallow dof on 85mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always shoot manual and in raw only. I just thought that the effect is not normaln, even given the circumstances. Thanks for the comments, I will have to be more careful with the light, I didn't expect the window to create such an effect.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For less effect, reflector some window light to cat dark side.

For the opposite effect, light subject bright and keep dark background.

Sunrise shines first on the tallest flower in the garden.
Expose for flower, image will be black background.

For less of this effect
wait for sun to rise higher
shine more light on background.

Cat likes furniture same colors. Very Happy