Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What lens has "glowy" effect?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glowy

This is a Polaroid from my 1929 Glunz of Hanover plate camera with Meyer Goerlitz 135 lens. I don't remember the settings and it is difficult to read the EXIF info off the Polaroid film. I have not tried this lens on digital.
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
Glow or glowy lens = spherical aberration. Best examples are older Leica lenses, but sssh don't tell Leica owners that. They think the prices they paid are for higher quality and exclusivity.... Laugh 1

hm..I am still confused about the exact causes for the glow of my M-Rokkor.
a severe case taken with the strong tropical sun

this lens has gone through repairs which was cutting open the front lens' housing and polishing it's rear. I had presented that in another thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-m-rokkor-28-2-8-spotting-corrosion-advice-needed-t62674.html
I try to find out the exact cause of the glow as it would tell me if, and if so how I could try to further improve the lens

Does it glow that much because of spherical aberration? If so is the spherical aberation most likely caused by either it's front lens not being exactly positioned as originally or even because of slight change of curvature from polishing? Look at these 100% crops:

and of the earlier shown sample:

Could the lens, at the same time, be 'that' sharp? Or do I see wrong and it isn't sharp and, for spherical aberration, 'typically' unsharp?
If it is 'too sharp' for spherical aberration, would it glow only because of coating having been removed by polishing?
( the album with all photos taken with this lens, view of full resolution possible: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/albums/72157644175227413 )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 50 1.2 LTM (wide open)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olympus 55/1.2 has a glowy dreamy effect when wide open

...and of course the Canon 50/0.95 "dream lens" has all sorts of glow wide open

Echinacea Bee 2 by Michael Lee, on Flickr

Echinacea 3 by Michael Lee, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Glowy

Very nice Firebird Trans Am Like Dog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple:
1. buy a lens with a cheap skylight filter left on it (most of us used these back in the day)
2. forget to take it off
3. wonder whether you have a faulty lens
4. decide you will keep it as a portrait lens because of the glowy effect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can stack up a few filters...
http://petapixel.com/2011/06/16/experimenting-with-stacks-of-uv-filters/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humulus wrote:
Pete wrote:
Glowy

Very nice Firebird Trans Am Like Dog

Thanks, That man's sun just got done restoring it and was getting ready to give to the customer. This was the first pic from my Glunz camera that I converted to use Polaroid pack film.
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "glowy" effect can be achieved with many lenses, cheap or expensive. The key is having a sense of timing, proper exposure, position and a mastery of light control. It's that simple Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
The "glowy" effect can be achieved with many lenses, cheap or expensive. The key is having a sense of timing, proper exposure, position and a mastery of light control. It's that simple Smile

Indeed.