Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What kind of optical aberration is that??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: What kind of optical aberration is that?? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone:

As I mentioned in a recent post, I have an old projector lens, actually a hybrid of two lenses. It has numerous artifacts due mostly to spherical aberration, especially around the edges, but that's what gives it its charm. Occasionally, I get a weird sort of fringing. I am just wondering what kind of optical aberration it is to the right cheek of the fellow below? Is there any way to avoid it, as I don't see it in most of my other images with this lens. Although admittedly, I have occasionally seen such fringing in other projection and vintage lenses. Thanks!

-Charles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astigmatism perhaps?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this fringing occur only on the right side of the image or both?

I ask because I have a Sigma mirror that does something very similar -- this sort of soft doubling of the image, but it is in a vertical direction, and the doubling occurs only at the top of the subject. I have assumed that, with my mirror, the elements are out of collimation in a vertical direction.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misalignment?
You said that lens is a hybrid of some sorts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Astigmatism perhaps?

I am not sure if astigmatism causes such fringing?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Does this fringing occur only on the right side of the image or both?

I ask because I have a Sigma mirror that does something very similar -- this sort of soft doubling of the image, but it is in a vertical direction, and the doubling occurs only at the top of the subject. I have assumed that, with my mirror, the elements are out of collimation in a vertical direction.

It is possible that the lenses are misaligned. I actually checked some other images and it seems like it does happen sometimes, particularly on the right side. Sometimes it is a bright fringe, and sometimes it looks like a double edge.

-Charles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Misalignment?
You said that lens is a hybrid of some sorts.

Yes, it is possible that it is a misalignment of some sort. It tends to happen on the right side as a kind of double edge, and as a bright fringe on the left side... although not with all the images. I guess I am going to have to live with it and consider it as part of the lens' charm!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of optical aberration is that?? Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
Hi Everyone:

As I mentioned in a recent post, I have an old projector lens, actually a hybrid of two lenses. It has numerous artifacts due mostly to spherical aberration, especially around the edges, but that's what gives it its charm. Occasionally, I get a weird sort of fringing. I am just wondering what kind of optical aberration it is to the right cheek of the fellow below? Is there any way to avoid it, as I don't see it in most of my other images with this lens. Although admittedly, I have occasionally seen such fringing in other projection and vintage lenses. Thanks!

-Charles

I did manage to correct the issue a bit in post-processing. Thanks everyone for your reflections!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of optical aberration is that?? Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
I did manage to correct the issue a bit in post-processing.

That would have been my solution as well. I found the "Topaz Sharpen AI" very helpful to make the best out of such bad pictures (for whatever reason, even camera shake).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of optical aberration is that?? Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
charley5 wrote:

That would have been my solution as well. I found the "Topaz Sharpen AI" very helpful to make the best out of such bad pictures (for whatever reason, even camera shake).

Yes, I have the Topaz Sharpen and it is quite helpful, although I wouldn't say this is a bad image. Some people don't like the softness. My issue was the double contour which i think I fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of optical aberration is that?? Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
tb_a wrote:
charley5 wrote:

Yes, I have the Topaz Sharpen and it is quite helpful, although I wouldn't say this is a bad image. Some people don't like the softness. My issue was the double contour which i think I fixed.

Excuse my incorrect description of the error. The image is of course not bad. I meant the image errors and not the image itself.
At least we had the same idea as to how to fix it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of optical aberration is that?? Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
charley5 wrote:
tb_a wrote:
charley5 wrote:

Excuse my incorrect description of the error. The image is of course not bad. I meant the image errors and not the image itself.
At least we had the same idea as to how to fix it.

Thomas, no problem. That's what I thought you meant!