Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is your favorite lens to focus on?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
jjphoto wrote:

Everyone should have one!

Not everyone are rich

Yeah, I should probably say that everyone should have one if they where cheaper. You don't have to be rich to save for something that matters to you. It could be a car, a guitar, a lens. It doesn't matter, people save for things that matter to them all the time. I drive a very old car, because that doesn't matter to me. Some people change their cars all the time, people have different priorities.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:

Yeah, I should probably say that everyone should have one if they where cheaper. You don't have to be rich to save for something that matters to you. It could be a car, a guitar, a lens. It doesn't matter, people save for things that matter to them all the time. I drive a very old car, because that doesn't matter to me. Some people change their cars all the time, people have different priorities.

You care more about a lens than a car? Hmmm, How much would you pay for ransom if I kidnap your lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
jjphoto wrote:

You care more about a lens than a car? Hmmm, How much would you pay for ransom if I kidnap your lenses?

That's clearly not a very funny joke so is that a threat? Are you planning to steal from people? Interesting to see how you think.

Why don't you just threaten a family member instead, they are much more valueable than any product.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate wide-field lenses with long focus throw. Doesn't make sense to me.

Canon FD 200mm f4 macro has far the best focus feel from the lenses that I used. Nikkor 50mm f1.2 is also great, but it has a ridiculously short focus throw for a f1.2.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Any lens with long focus throw, but also smooth, even, precise and damped.

Using that criterion, the Tamron 55BB 500mm f/8 mirror is also a good lens to consider. It has a very long focus throw, which is what makes it so nice to use, given that it has such a shallow depth of field and all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
Victor Nguyen wrote:
jjphoto wrote:

That's clearly not a very funny joke so is that a threat? Are you planning to steal from people? Interesting to see how you think.

Why don't you just threaten a family member instead, they are much more valueable than any product.

Guys, calm down, please.

This was not a good joke, indeed, but it neither was threatening, really. Nobody here should overreact, ok?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:
I generally prefer a short way to focus

Me too. There is a tradeoff between focusing accuracy and speed, but some lenses have too long focus throw. One lens that comes to mind is a famous Kiron macro, it just goes on forever. However, Kiron is a heavy macro, probably mostly used on tripod, so that's understandable.

Some lenses really do benefit from a long focus throw. Any long telephoto or high-magnification lens that has an extremely shallow depth of field and which has a short focus throw can be very frustrating to focus precisely because it is too easy to miss that exact point of correct focus. Having a longer focusing throw on these types of lenses makes for a much more accurate experience and better quality photos as a result. Me, I'll put up with a longer throw if it means my images will benefit.

I think if I were to analyze this topic from more of an optical standpoint, I would assert that one factor is likely to be the size of the circle of confusion that determines how easy it is for a lens to be focused accurately. The smaller the circle of confusion the easier it will be to achieve precise focus. Cf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_confusion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:

I apologize, I have a very weird sense of humor. This is what the internet have done to me. Embarassed