Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is this lens? Worth keeping? (I don't read Russian)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The model you have is the original M39 version, it has the slim body.

The second M39 version is for the early Zenits and has the same register as an M42 lens, it is shorter with a much fatter body.

There is a third version in M42 mount, I have that one, it's not bad, think I got a bad copy as mine isn't that sharp.

There is also a fourth version of the Lens - "Jupiter-11 Avtomat", which is designed for the camera Kiev-15 and has a bayonet K10.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamerer wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The model you have is the original M39 version, it has the slim body.

The second M39 version is for the early Zenits and has the same register as an M42 lens, it is shorter with a much fatter body.

There is a third version in M42 mount, I have that one, it's not bad, think I got a bad copy as mine isn't that sharp.

There is also a fourth version of the Lens - "Jupiter-11 Avtomat", which is designed for the camera Kiev-15 and has a bayonet K10.

Never seen that one but it makes sense, there are versions of the Mir-1, Helios-44 (called 104?) and others in the Nikon mount for the Kiev SLRs.

I need to get my J-11A in M42 out and try it again, was disappointed with the sharpness last time I tried it.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

The second M39 version is for the early Zenits and has the same register as an M42 lens ...

Not everyone agrees. For example, the Zenit archive ....

http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/zenit-e/index.html

... reports manufacture of the Zenit E in two mounts - M39X1 with a register of 45.2 mm and M42X1 with a register of 45.5 mm.

I've got a Zenit-3M in M39 and a Zenit-B in M42, I thought they had the same register. 0.3mm is so small that it could be the difference between a fraction of a turn of the screw thread so I think, for all intents and purposes they are the same.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Never seen that one but it makes sense, there are versions of the Mir-1, Helios-44 (called 104?) and others in the Nikon mount for the Kiev SLRs.
In Kiev-10/15 its original bayonet, not Nikon.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I've got a Zenit-3M in M39 and a Zenit-B in M42, I thought they had the same register. 0.3mm is so small that it could be the difference between a fraction of a turn of the screw thread so I think, for all intents and purposes they are the same.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. You can use an M39 lens (register 45.2 mm) on an M42 camera (register 45.5 mm) using a simple ring adapter. But it's like using the lens on an M39 camera (register 45.2 mm) with a 0.3 mm extension ring. You lose infinity. So, for example, a Helios 44 (register 45.2 mm) will focus at ~10 m when the focus ring is set to infinity. It's useful but somewhat limited. Not convinced ? Look at the focussing scale on any lens and see how it is very compressed near infinity and much more spread out at the close focus end.

The Zenit archive provides instructions for converting a lens from M39 to M42. It involves removing a ring and reducing its thickness by 0.3 mm with a precision of +/- 0.02 mm.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
-halli- wrote:
I think I might just eBay it along with the camera and the other two lenses that fit it. Someone will get use from them.

you have camera and two more lenses to it? what are they?

The instruction manual says it is a FED-4

and it has these lenses with it (plus the Jupiter 11)

52mm f2.8 silver

53mm f2.8 black and silver (sorry, a bit of motion blur on picture)

and a strange little 75mm f4.5 lens with no apparent way of focussing

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one with zebra stripes an enlarger lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking, especially because it is 75mm, which is a popular enlarger lens size.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industars 26 & 61 - Nice lenses!

With regards to the M39/M42 register distance, I can confirm that my M42 mount Helios 44s are able to focus beyond infinity on my M42 > EOS adapter. Using the same adapter plus an M39>M42 step ring on my 2 M39 Helios lenses and focus is just short of infinity.

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Fri May 13, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Last one with zebra stripes an enlarger lens.

What does that do? Is it something to do with printing?

I guess it doesn't go on the camera?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some extension ring and when you can get sharp focus, enlarger lenses are usually top quality lenses and very usable for close up shoots.

http://forum.mflenses.com/ross-resolux-5cm-f3-5-enlarger-lens-sony-nex-3-t39160.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/rodenstock-omegaron-35mm-f4-enlarger-t38502,highlight,%2Brodenstock.html

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Try some extension ring and when you can get sharp focus, enlarger lenses are usually top quality lenses and very usable for close up shoots.

I might just try that, Thanks! The M42 to M39 adapters seem quite cheap.

(We did conclude these were M39 lenses didn't we?)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

With regards to the M39/M42 register distance, I can confirm that my M42 mount Helios 44s are able to focus beyond infinity on my M42 > EOS adapter. Using the same adapter plus an M39>M42 step ring on my 2 M39 Helios lenses and focus is just short of infinity.

I need to get an adapter like yours. With mine, my Helios-44M focuses at infinity, and when I use an M39-M42 adapter ring, my M39 lenses focus to maybe 10" max.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-halli- wrote:
Attila wrote:

But...you can't use them like a normal lens, they are still not meant for an SLR at all and you will only be able to use them macro on a Canon EOS.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
-halli- wrote:
Attila wrote:

But...you can't use them like a normal lens, they are still not meant for an SLR at all and you will only be able to use them macro on a Canon EOS.

Yes, that's what I meant. I like a bit of macro, and I usually focus using the "rocking method" anyway Smile

Plus, I think that tiny enlarger lens will look cool on the front of a DSLR Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Industar-61 and Industar 26M are both really nice lenses, shame they won't hit infinity on a EOS.

The enlarger lens might hit infinity, 75-80mm is said to the focal length that will hit infinity, below that an they are only good for macro. I have an 80mm enlarger lens and it does hit infinity.

My Helios-44s won't focus past infinity with my adapter, however, with thinner, cheaper adapters they will.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

The enlarger lens might hit infinity, 75-80mm is said to the focal length that will hit infinity, below that an they are only good for macro. I have an 80mm enlarger lens and it does hit infinity.

The enlarger doesn't have a focus ring, I guess it will only be a fixed focus. Do you mean it might be focussed to infinity when put straight on the camera?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an adapter ring as I've not got round to selling the lenses or camera yet.

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1152176.html#1152176

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-halli- wrote:
I bought an adapter ring as I've not got round to selling the lenses or camera yet.

Let us know if you decide to sell please.

BTW I have family in Alnwick and Newcastle: you're in a lovely part of the country.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
-halli- wrote:

Let us know if you decide to sell please.

BTW I have family in Alnwick and Newcastle: you're in a lovely part of the country.

I'm going to have a play around with the lenses for a while and might put them up for sale on here when I have enough posts.

You're right about living up here, great place to be Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-halli- wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

The enlarger doesn't have a focus ring, I guess it will only be a fixed focus. Do you mean it might be focussed to infinity when put straight on the camera?

The EL will hit infinity focus when its optical centre is 75mm from the camera frame (film or sensor). A combination of macro tubes might get you pretty close. I use 75mm EL's on tubes with fixed-focus of around 1.5m as portrait lenses. With M42 and PK bellows on my Pentax, only ELs of 90mm or longer reach infinity. A focusing helicoid would be very useful with 35-50-60-75mm ELs -- maybe I can buy one soon! (I really need a 30-70mm helicoid for my Schneider Betavaron 50-125 enlarger zoom.) But get a couple sets of ultra-cheap M42 macro tubes and play with them and the EL. Lots of fun!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
A combination of macro tubes might get you pretty close.

yes, that is what I tried Smile I used the #1 and #2 (two smallest) tubes of the 3 M42 macro tubes and then used the threads on the tubes as a focus ring. (see the pics in the link)

I'll have to look out for a helicoid, not sure what they are.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-halli- wrote:

I'll have to look out for a helicoid, not sure what they are.

I think I am right in saying that a helicoid is the mount and twisty ring you find on most lenses that moves the lens in and out or, to be more accuate, it is the threaded rings inside which translate rotational movement to lateral movement. You can buy dedicated helicoids which mount optics of your choice on the front. These are expensive in my experience.

Bastardising a damaged lens is less expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:

The EL will hit infinity focus when its optical centre is 75mm from the camera frame (film or sensor). A combination of macro tubes might get you pretty close. I use 75mm EL's on tubes with fixed-focus of around 1.5m as portrait lenses. With M42 and PK bellows on my Pentax, only ELs of 90mm or longer reach infinity. A focusing helicoid would be very useful with 35-50-60-75mm ELs -- maybe I can buy one soon! (I really need a 30-70mm helicoid for my Schneider Betavaron 50-125 enlarger zoom.) But get a couple sets of ultra-cheap M42 macro tubes and play with them and the EL. Lots of fun!

Do you know what the min. magnification with EL-Nikkor 50mm on your bellows is? I was going to use a similar to copy negatives but need at least 1:2 on an APS-C to get the full 35mm frame, so was wondering if a 50mm could do (already found one locally) or I would need a 75mm?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
One of the sharpest 135mm lens reported by my friend on Sony-NEX.

I have all the versions. I agree to your friend's conclusion. Keep It! I have tried the M39 version on Canon 300D. Very Happy