Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the best Nikkor 35mm lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I lived in SoCal for 24 years and when I encountered flare from having the sun close to being in the frame, I found I could usually hold my hand up and block the sun's rays from falling on the lens. This saved a lot of sunny photos for me.
Now I live in Houston, and although we get weather here, we also have plenty of sun. Too much. So I do the same thing here.

Did'nt think of using a lenshood?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I lived in SoCal for 24 years and when I encountered flare from having the sun close to being in the frame, I found I could usually hold my hand up and block the sun's rays from falling on the lens. This saved a lot of sunny photos for me.

Now I live in Houston, and although we get weather here, we also have plenty of sun. Too much. So I do the same thing here.

Yeah, understood. Most of my lenses have hoods, either OEM or added on. I've still used the hand shadow trick from time to time when the hood was insufficient (or when I forgot to bring one), but it really doesn't work well with wide angle lenses. I noticed first with a 28/3.5, then with anything wider than that, if my hand shadow shaded the lens enough to make a difference, you could see my hand in the photo.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has anyone tried the ZF 35/1.4 yet?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:

Yeah, understood. Most of my lenses have hoods, either OEM or added on. I've still used the hand shadow trick from time to time when the hood was insufficient (or when I forgot to bring one), but it really doesn't work well with wide angle lenses. I noticed first with a 28/3.5, then with anything wider than that, if my hand shadow shaded the lens enough to make a difference, you could see my hand in the photo.

I know what you mean. I found that I could usually get my hand out of the frame if I held it farther away from the lens -- like two or three feet. But in some cases, it just isn't possible, which usually forces me to recompose the shot.

@DSG, as Arninetyes mentioned, sometimes a hood is insufficient. Especially with wide-angle lenses.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

I know what you mean. I found that I could usually get my hand out of the frame if I held it farther away from the lens -- like two or three feet. But in some cases, it just isn't possible, which usually forces me to recompose the shot.

@DSG, as Arninetyes mentioned, sometimes a hood is insufficient. Especially with wide-angle lenses.

That's pretty much the reason I switched from a 35/2 to a 28/2. The 28/2 doesn't flare even when I shoot into the sun--or, not much, anyway. The only lens I have that is more flare-resistent is a Nikkor 20/3.5 Ais, which is great because a hood is pretty useless on a 20mm.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard that. I have a really cool metal hood for a 20mm-UD Nikkor that is all of maybe 1/2" deep, yet it's probably a good 3" in diameter. Doesn't seem like it would help much.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Michael. Does your UD and hood look anything like this:

Obviously, I have one, too. I've tried the hood, but it really doesn't help. As much as I like this lens, if the sun grazes the front element, I get plenty of ghosts, and the hood helps so little of the time it isn't even worth using. Still glad I have it though.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks exactly like that. This is another example with me of having an accessory for an item that causes me to want to get the item it belongs to. So far, I've done this with a manual for a Yashica Electro 35 GSN/GTN -- bought an Electro 35 to go with the manual -- and I've been looking for good deals on a 20mm-UD so I'll have a lens to go with the hood. Weird, I know.

Meanwhile, I have it attached to an old Nikon Polar polarizer system, which is in turn attached to my 50mm f/1.4. It makes for a cool looking setup, but it is most likely of little practical value.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh! That is a bit backwards, but I've done the same thing, just not with cameras. Yet.

I have purchased (new and used), refurbished, and built a number of vacuum tube audio amplifiers. One day at a yard sale, I found a pair of gorgeous, pristine, 80-year-old power tubes (type 2A3). I just had to have an amplifier to put them in. A few years later, I finally bought one (which is a tale all in itself - it's a Fi X 2A3 stereo amp), but since they only put about 2.5 watts per channel, I then had to have very efficient speakers in order to use them. Still have the whole setup, too.

BTW, an FE with a motor winder? Nice! I don't have a motor winder, but I do have both an F2A and an FE. Also have an F100, but I like using the FE much more. Will probably sell the F100.