Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the best M42 50ish 1.4 money can buy ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuji lenses have perfect faithfull color and smooth bokeh at every aperture. Nevertheless they say that Fujinon 50/1.4 are not so sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-M-C Tak is the only 50 1.4 I own. It's an ok lens but IMO overrated as all Taks are.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In f/1.4 M42 I have Fujinon EBC and non-EBC 50mm, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm, Revuenon (Tomioka?) 55mm and Yashinon DS 50mm. I choose the Fujinon (either version) myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ! I did it. I just won a Topcor 58 1.4 on evilbay.
Im so excited. Gonna go get a DIY kit to rebuild it to m42.

3 days ago I received my silver Bessaflex TM (new, in a box).

Almost have my dreamset. Smile Smile Smile

Oh yeah... Does anyone want to buy a Topcon D-1 ?
It seems Im gonna get one, nothing to do with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkku thats very interesting; does that mean you find no difference between ebc and non ebc fujinon lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
does anyone know how zs/hft/contax planars really compare?

Here's planar c/y vs hft
http://forum.lensamanual.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1537

@Kuuan The Tak I used to compared was not in good condition, so you can ignore this. Still I prefer Pentax M in my EOS cam.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
arkku thats very interesting; does that mean you find no difference between ebc and non ebc fujinon lenses?

I see very little difference between them in practical use. I have not systematically compared them, however, and I've mostly been using the EBC Fujinon since I got it (because the green EBC written on the lens gives it magical powers, just like the red T* of another manufacturer =).

In the M42 Fujinon lenses group on flickr one person had both and did a some systematic test between them and some other 50mm lenses, and actually preferred the non-EBC version for sharpness, but the slight differences in his tests can (in my opinion) be attributed to sample variance.

Last edited by Arkku on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks arkku, i find that so very interesting. perhaps im incorrect, but i thought the ebc was a big deal in terms of a special coating over the non ebc, thus the difference in price. i appreciate your opinion as ive wanted very much to try fujinon m42, and now i can save some money!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
perhaps im incorrect, but i thought the ebc was a big deal in terms of a special coating over the non ebc, thus the difference in price.

Oh, don't get me wrong, EBC is a superb coating technology, and seeing that green EBC text on a lens gets me more excited than it probably should. However, as we vintage lens enthusiasts know, there's a lot more to the character of a lens than can be explained by different coatings; many great lenses are single-coated or even uncoated. The EBC and non-EBC Fujinons have, as far as I can tell, the same optical design and both share the wonderful character.

Perhaps a more demanding, or just different, user will discover situations where the EBC coating really shines (e.g. shooting into strong lights in high contrast scenes?). But personally I say: if you can find the non-EBC at a good price, go for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks arkku, much appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
I've mostly been using the EBC Fujinon since I got it (because the green EBC written on the lens gives it magical powers, just like the red T* of another manufacturer =).

+1 Mr. Green