Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are best compact ultra WA zooms?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: what are best compact ultra WA zooms? Reply with quote

i really want a WA zoom: somewhere between 18-21 (please nothing closer than 21mm!) on the wide side and around 35-40 on the zoom end. without regard to price, my prime criteria are compactness and low distortion IQ. please no BIG lenses, i want to use this on my tiny gxr m mount! what do you recommend?
thanks
tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen similar manual zoom lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i know of the konica m 21/35 dual focus m mount lens and the leica R vario sonnar 21-35 thats not so big...must be others!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe Canon FD 20-35 L.. you judge whether it´s big or not

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Vivitar 19-35mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina AT-X 20-35mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina 19-35?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: leica 21-35 Reply with quote

I have no experience with the others, but my Leica R 21-35 is compact (fits in big pockets), medium compact with the sunshade on, and provides good pictures on a full frame sensor.

p.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar (Cosina) 19-35 as already pointed out. Mine is the later AF plastic version, but it's light.

Pros:
light
sharp in the centre
good contrast
minimal vignette

Cons:
will flare if you point it at the sun
slight warm caste
the very extreme corners (and I do mean the last few pixels) never get sharp
77mm filter thread.

Some say the AF is noisy. I say idiots worry about such things.

IMG_0845 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

The vignette on this was applied in PP

Black & White or Colour? by martinsmith99, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples from this lens Martin. I was considering it as replacement for my Tamron in case I needed to travel lighter and I would say it's at least as sharp!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some good ideas, thanks!
martin, thanks for the samples, they help a lot.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that the lens goes for around 50-100 gbp. I got mine for 60 with the original hood.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, i'd say give up.
UWW full-frame lenses for SLR are serious business, also expensive and heavy.
UWW zoom can't help over a prime. That's understatement.

And bottom line, you will never get true UWW on crop. You'd need something like Samyang 8 mm or so. WW doesn't buy you much over stepping a bit back UNLESS you need the UWW craziness, which you can't get on crop.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:

And bottom line, you will never get true UWW on crop. You'd need something like Samyang 8 mm or so. WW doesn't buy you much over stepping a bit back UNLESS you need the UWW craziness, which you can't get on crop.

Did you read my posts?
Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:

I agree actually. I had one of those Cosina 19-35s for a while, soon sold it, not in the same league as the primes in the same range I've tried. I didn't think much of the Cosina 3.8/19 either, I think my copy was decentred as it was soft on the right side at f8 on my NEX.

Widest excellent lens I've been able to find without spending a lot is the Tokina RMC 3.5/17 but even that is only 25mm on my NEX-3 so not all that wide. Zenitar 16mm has too much distortion for me.

I have a LOMO 2.8/18 that is excellent and just and so covers the NEX sensor, it's the OKC-1-18-1 model and extremely sharp (68 lpmm) with very little distortion. Not exactly compact though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you mean as the same range Ian.

For 60gbp, I doubt there is even a UWA prime.

My only UWA prime is the Tamron SP Adaptall-2 17mm. It doesn't have the flare or cast issues of the Vivitar/Cosina, but lacks the sharpness of it. And it usually costs about twice as much.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the second version of the Tokina 20-35/3.5-4.5 which is also really good. Doesn't touch decent primes in the centre, but has better corners due to less field curvature.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I have the second version of the Tokina 20-35/3.5-4.5 which is also really good. Doesn't touch decent primes in the centre, but has better corners due to less field curvature.

How much are these usually?