Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What a Monster!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: What a Monster! Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this new Vivitar lens could give a person a hernia just trying to lift it onto a tripod! It weighs a ton! It is numbered #3726805 and is a 75-260MM 1:4.5 Auto-Tele Zoom. It doesn't say anything about multi-coating though. It came cased and it is in amazing condition. No mold, nothing much in the way of dust. It is definitely a tripod lens though, no way I'm hand holding this thing, whew!

Pics of all 3 of the zooms tomorrow here. I'm charging the batteries tonight. I used them all up earlier this week doing some flower and light studies and on the multitude of grasshoppers that kept trying to invade our house via our porch screens, but they'll be charged when I get up in the morning and I'll pull them all out and try to take some pics then.

I'm definitely feeling a bit smug now though. I'm pretty happy I took the initiative and actually asked what mount this puppy was. For a $5 bid I sure got my money's worth and then some!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an almost certainty that your Tokina-built bazooka has single coatings on its optics.

Love to see some pics when you get 'em.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What a Monster! Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
I'm pretty sure this new Vivitar lens could give a person a hernia just trying to lift it onto a tripod! It weighs a ton! It is numbered #3726805 and is a 75-260MM 1:4.5 Auto-Tele Zoom. It doesn't say anything about multi-coating though. It came cased and it is in amazing condition. No mold, nothing much in the way of dust. It is definitely a tripod lens though, no way I'm hand holding this thing, whew!

Pics of all 3 of the zooms tomorrow here. I'm charging the batteries tonight. I used them all up earlier this week doing some flower and light studies and on the multitude of grasshoppers that kept trying to invade our house via our porch screens, but they'll be charged when I get up in the morning and I'll pull them all out and try to take some pics then.

I'm definitely feeling a bit smug now though. I'm pretty happy I took the initiative and actually asked what mount this puppy was. For a $5 bid I sure got my money's worth and then some!

Well done on that! Love to see pics of the lens and it's results, then I can compare against my monster 3M/6A Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
It's an almost certainty that your Tokina-built bazooka has single coatings on its optics.

Love to see some pics when you get 'em.

All ~1970 tokina lenses had an old multi (usually 2 coats) coating

I had one .. very pleaseant lens to use
Quality really ok

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this monster in original brand : Tokina . Really very good , but very prone to huge flare , even with the built-in lens hood. Mr. Green Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one but it was very soft until f/11 and I know other people have had better results so I think mine was defective. It looked and felt great though!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few photos taken with my 75-260.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second gull picture of yours I think was the one that I first saw when I ran a google search the lens. Is that the same one from when you first got yours? If so it popped up on another forum, that post, and I liked the gull, I thought it looked pretty good actually. That's what convinced me to risk the $5.

Pics in just a bit.

Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a pic here at mflenses showing this lens:

Then I surfed on over to eBay to check things out. Interestingly, all the lenses they had were a later style with rubber grips on the rings. Priced a bit higher than $5 though Cool

Y'all are getting me interested in this old lens. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of these old zooms; leftovers from tail end of my LBA when I was buying lenses costing less than US$20. My opinion is they may be slow but that smaller elements are easier to design and manufacture to achieve good IQ at slow wide open. Later designs got faster due to improvements in manufacturing technique that could achieve the same IQ. Similar to how stopping down a fast lens improves image quality by discarding lens perimeters where tolerance variance and resulting loss of overall IQ is more evident. These old slow zooms produce pretty darn good IQ, imho, when given enough light.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fixed-mount Soligor variant:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly TX 2nd Generation Zooms with two TX primes for comparison.

Back Row L-R:85-205/3.5 Close Focus,300/5.6 TX,400/5.6 TX,75-260/4.5 TX,90-230/4.5 TX,90-230/4.5 Close Focus TX

Front Row:70-150/3.5 Close Focus,75-205/3.5 Close Focus,35-105/3.5 Close Focus TX,100-300/5 Close Focus TX,100-200/4 Close Focus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that Soligor version as well, but with the silver flash at the bottom Smile I love those silver Soligor flashes Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Boomer is that your collection? Fantastic!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....Yes,that's part of my TX 2nd Generation Collection,not included are the rest of the TX 2nd Generation primes.

Also in my Vivitar collection in the Nikon F mount and one Olympus mount,are all the preferred Series 1 zooms and primes from the 70's to early 80's,including the macros 90/2.5 and the 90-180/4.5 Flat Field Zoom.

Have a few other Vivitar macro lens including the 90/2.8 and the 135/2.8 Close Focus.

I've also collected some of the well known Kobori built Vivitars including the 200/3.5,28-200/3.5 and the 120-600/5.6.

Like many Vivitar collectors I also have a few Kiron lens including the 105/2.8 Macro and four of their zooms,haven't collected any of the Kiron primes though.

Being a Nikon/Nikkor collector 90% of the above lens are Nikon F mount,but a few are Olympus or Pentax since they will mount on my Canon bodies.

Pictures of many of these lenses are in the Camera Gear slideshow in my signature.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: What a Monster! Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:

in what mounts can I find this beauty?? Very Happy
F mount? what else? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the fixed mount Vivitars is available in Nikon F,Olympus OM,Pentax K,Minolta,Konica and Canon FD.

In the TX versions it's also available in the M42 mount.

I would recommend the 90-230mm in either version over the 75-260mm because of the flare issue.But if your aware of the flare,and it makes itself known in the viewfinder,the 75-260 is a fine lens to add to a Vivitar collection,if you take time to get to know the lens and how to deal with the flare.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I found a pic here at mflenses showing this lens:

Then I surfed on over to eBay to check things out. Interestingly, all the lenses they had were a later style with rubber grips on the rings. Priced a bit higher than $5 though Cool

Y'all are getting me interested in this old lens. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics.

That is a Pic of my T4 version. I don't think I posted any of my TX version yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
That second gull picture of yours I think was the one that I first saw when I ran a google search the lens. Is that the same one from when you first got yours? If so it popped up on another forum, that post, and I liked the gull, I thought it looked pretty good actually. That's what convinced me to risk the $5.

Pics in just a bit.

Smile

Yes it is from the second day after I received mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Thats not a big heavy lens. THIS is a big heavy lens :) Reply with quote

And a little one too Smile Smile Smile

Only joking Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
Thanks....Yes,that's part of my TX 2nd Generation Collection,not included are the rest of the TX 2nd Generation primes.

Also in my Vivitar collection in the Nikon F mount and one Olympus mount,are all the preferred Series 1 zooms and primes from the 70's to early 80's,including the macros 90/2.5 and the 90-180/4.5 Flat Field Zoom.

Have a few other Vivitar macro lens including the 90/2.8 and the 135/2.8 Close Focus.

I've also collected some of the well known Kobori built Vivitars including the 200/3.5,28-200/3.5 and the 120-600/5.6.

Like many Vivitar collectors I also have a few Kiron lens including the 105/2.8 Macro and four of their zooms,haven't collected any of the Kiron primes though.

Being a Nikon/Nikkor collector 90% of the above lens are Nikon F mount,but a few are Olympus or Pentax since they will mount on my Canon bodies.

Pictures of many of these lenses are in the Camera Gear slideshow in my signature.

Crazy. If i ever visit USA, paying a visit to you would be monumental Smile!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You humble me...you would be welcome to see my little collection....and weather permitting perhaps a sail later for some pictures from the water of my beloved Puget Sound.... or if you enjoy climbing,perhaps a climb of one of the peaks of the Eastern Olympics for more photographic opportunities....or both Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds better and better. Thank you for invitation Boomer!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I've always wanted to do that. I just loved what I saw of the Puget Sound while I was out there. I never got to really explore it though. I envy you living in that place. It's gorgeous. I'm actually thinking of moving back out that way, maybe towards Seattle someday. Do you have a website with lots of pics? I'd love to see them.

Boomer Depp wrote:
You humble me...you would be welcome to see my little collection....and weather permitting perhaps a sail later for some pictures from the water of my beloved Puget Sound.... or if you enjoy climbing,perhaps a climb of one of the peaks of the Eastern Olympics for more photographic opportunities....or both Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you every make it back this way your welcome to come out with us for a sail or a climb(we'll can take the honeymooners route if you would prefer a safe assent to a summit).We have easy or more technical hike/climbs within an hour or so from Kingston,with distances ranging from three to 20 miles round-trip,depending on your preference....or if you prefer a drive to Blue Mountain or Hurricane Ridge a little over an hour driving distance for some scenic views at high elevation.

Sailing we like everyone to take there turns(watches) steering,pulling lines and so forth including a primer in coastal navigation.We have three boats for kids and friends,so we may take more then one boat out...and to make it interesting usually a destination port to port race.

If you click on my profile there is a website link,in the main album there are some pics,though I recently cleaned a couple pages of old pics out of this album and other albums.There are also pics scattered through the other albums.