Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Weston Master III problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Weston Master III problem Reply with quote

I bought this one along with my cameras and lenses for 15 bucks. It works!
But there is a problem. When I set to exposure 100 with it, I must set my camera to Iso 200 to have correct exposure, 200 and 400 and more. Am I wrong because I dont know how to use it, or this one need to calibrate?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm Doesn't look like my III or IV maybe for the US market or a later model...anyway basically you set the asa, then decide for bright or dim light by opening the back, then point the meter at the subject and the needle will stop at a number in the window, then turn dial with the big arrow until it lines up with the number that the needle showed in the window, then read what shutter speed/aperture that you would want to use.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a user's manual here:

http://www.urmonas.net/manuals/westonIII/westonIII.html

The one in the manual may be different, but I am sure the methods will be the same.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not wrong, the earlier Weston meters used the Weston Units instead of ASA.

The equivalence is Weston 80 = ISO 100.

Not sure if that one is in the case, my Weston III (that looks different from yours) is.

http://forum.mflenses.com/notes-on-repairing-weston-master-iii-light-meter-t16996,highlight,%2Bweston.html

Regards.
Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you, and yes, I have done the correct process before I asked. So it's the same as before, ex: if I set exposure 100, f5.6 so it points to 500 speed, then I must set my camera to iso 200 with f5.6, 500 speed and I will have absolutely correct exposure.
@ I have just checked the back, and it writes ASA=1.0, so I think this is ASA scale.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it use batteries? If it does and the originals were mercury then alkaline batteries can give false readings.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Does it use batteries? If it does and the originals were mercury then alkaline batteries can give false readings.

No batteries and the meters can last for ages, I bought mine S/H about 30 years ago and it is still accurate...hey I still have the receipt bought in 24/10/1980 for £15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has selenium cell, so there is no battery.
It has better result than my nova metering, but I really want to know why it has that problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera are you using ?
Are you checking the Weston meter against the camera meter ?

I often have different readings depending on the meter.
These handheld meters are not spot or center weighted meters, they measure light coming in over a wide angle, so they have to be used with care.

I check meter readings like this - where possible I look for a spot where the light I want to meter is falling on my hand. Then I point the meter at my hand. Its like using a grey card.

Another way to check is to use 'sunny 16' in bright sunlight.
Set ISO =100, point meter at brightly lit building. At 100 speed it should read on or close to f/16

My usual meter, always in my pocket, is a little plastic Selenium cell Sekonic I bought when I was a teenager in 1975. It still works.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sony Alpha 580, and yes i check the camera meter against the meter.
I also checked in close range, and it has 1/3-2/3 stop slower than camera metering, but it's still an acceptable result. And more interesting, my weimar lux nova with Cds cant be used in my room with only one light source, but the Weston can.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Weston Master III problem Reply with quote

kyonthinh wrote:
I bought this one along with my cameras and lenses for 15 bucks. It works!
But there is a problem. When I set to exposure 100 with it, I must set my camera to Iso 200 to have correct exposure, 200 and 400 and more. Am I wrong because I dont know how to use it, or this one need to calibrate?

looks like mine -- model 737

when I set dials on mine to same settings as shown in photo above, the "Exposure Index" is at 320 Weston units. Set at 80 for iso 100.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Weston Master III problem Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

when I set dials on mine to same settings as shown in photo above, the "Exposure Index" is at 320 Weston units. Set at 80 for iso 100.

+1.
Now I know it's always nearly correct, or something it's correct...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Weston Master III problem Reply with quote

kyonthinh wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

+1.
Now I know it's always nearly correct, or something it's correct...

The dials are always correct. Wink The dials are only circular slide rule; they don't affect meter reading.

In the photo, Exposure Index is set to 320 (iso 400); it works!

There is an attachment -- the Invercone -- a translucent dome that fits over the light cell to convert the meter to measure incident light. I use mine as incident meter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Weston Master III problem Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

The dials are always correct. Wink The dials are only circular slide rule; they don't affect meter reading.

In the photo, Exposure Index is set to 320 (iso 400); it works!

There is an attachment -- the Invercone -- a translucent dome that fits over the light cell to convert the meter to measure incident light. I use mine as incident meter.

Yes, it's always correct, and now I know why people liked it.
Thank you very much.