Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Was "My New Tool Arrived Today" Now Early Minolta
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Was "My New Tool Arrived Today" Now Early Minolta Reply with quote

I didn't want my Canon F-1 thread hijacked any further, so I've moved our discussion of early Minolta lenses over here to Lenses.

[quote="koji"][quote="peterqd"]
cooltouch wrote:

I think cooltouch is correct, Minolta's Auto PF 55/1.8 was slightly after the Minolta's first SLR SR-2 (1958) was introduced. The lens was recalculated based on
Minolta 35's super rokkor 50/1.8. Auto PF 55/1.8 was probably introduced 1960 with Auto Aperture feature, no surprise. This year 1960 Minolta started selling
SR-3 with 6 Auto Aperture Leses, Auto W Rokkor-HG 35/2.8, Auto Rokkor-PF 55/1.8, Auto Rokkor-PF 55/2, Auto Tele Rokkor-PF 100/2, Auto Tele Rokkor-QF
100/3.5, and Auto Tele Rokkor-PG 135/2.8.

Though there might have been Preset 55mm normal lens for SR-2 under S-series name(?), but I cannot trace back to this lens.

I have this Auto Rokkor-PG 55/1.8, Takumar 55/1.8 seems better to me. Mine does not say MC on the bevel, has greenish coating,
the world first multi-coating (only 2 layers tho). Aperture ring has aperture numbers and EV numbers beneath each aperture value.
Oh, and the aperture ring cannot be tuned without pressing a side button, which looks exactly like later MC lens' preview button.

That'a all I know.

Thanks for this, Koji. It looks like Minolta's naming scheme regarding its early lenses was more complex than my research indicated. Back when I did all this, it was before the days of the World Wide Web, thus I was resorting to old magazines and used gear for-sale ads in most cases, and one guy I knew who was a fan of old Minoltas, to come up with this data.

I take it, though, that your PG 55/1.8 does not have the tab to engage the meter, the way an MC lens does?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I almost lost you Michael.

You are right, my Auto Rokkor-PF 55/1.8 does not have a meter linkage
tab beside the aperture ring. The later all MC lenses have this tab.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did dig further, and found out.

Minolta's first normal lens was AUTO ROKKOR-PF 55/2, with half lock
aperture. Ie, you have to rotate the aperture ring while you are pressing
side button, after the exposure this aperture did not return (I mean
stays closed down, not open automatically).

They had the same PF 55/1.8 described in the above, those were the first
SLR lenses from Minolta Co. These two lenses were introduced at 1958.

Mine comes back wide open automatically after exposure, so it is the
second version of the same lens. This must have happened 1960!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two deep sites for Rokkor lenses.

1) http://www.ne.jp/asahi/55/nishikin/lenses.htm
2) http://homepage1.nifty.com/~Kim/Camera/Lens-SR.html

1) in the above has all the models of Rokkors table chronologically and
of course cameras. A great site.
2) He is a deep collector of Minolta goods (lens, camera, and metal hoods),
and one of my friends in Japan.

Unfortunately they are only in japanese. Auto translation does work but
still primitive stage, some meanings are definitely lost. But try....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the links, Koji. Actually, I studied Japanese in college. Haven't had much chance to speak it during the past 15 years or so, so I'm now pretty rusty. Reading through those sites will be a good refresher for me. Especially if the go easy on the kanji and use mostly kana. Not much chance of that, though, I suspect.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first site is very nice!!!! Very Happy

I have an Auto Rokkor 55mm F1.8 in my hand right now!!!
Not a bad lens.

However, I find that the MC Rokkors are generally quite a bit better than the Auto Rokkor series of lenses. This may be better coatings or better optical formula or both.

For example, the Auto Rokkor-PF 58mm F1.4 is not as good as MC Rokkor-PF 58mm F1.4

I have a beautiful MD Rokkor 85mm F2. It's probably one of my best lenses, in terms of sharpness, contrast and bokeh. Perfect condition and it was cheap, at around 1500yen!!! (about $16.50 USD) Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
For example, the Auto Rokkor-PF 58mm F1.4 is not as good as MC Rokkor-PF 58mm F1.4

Is the MC PF 1,4/58 sharpest than the S-M-C 1,4/50?

What do you think ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done any specific test on the Takumar S-M-C 50mm F1.4, but the two copies of the MC Rokkor-PF 58mm F1.4 are better than the Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4, by quite a long way. One copy of the Rokkor MC is good, while the other is outstanding!!!

I have a Tak S-M-C & also a Tak SMC (50mm F1.4) which I will test at some stage.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
I haven't done any specific test on the Takumar S-M-C 50mm F1.4, but the two copies of the MC Rokkor-PF 58mm F1.4 are better than the Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4, by quite a long way. One copy of the Rokkor MC is good, while the other is outstanding!!!

I have a Tak S-M-C & also a Tak SMC (50mm F1.4) which I will test at some stage.

Thanks Dnas, very much.

Your tests will be interesant, of course.

Rino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this nice site, which is in English, about Minolta. Has a good section on lenses, including the early ones:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/index.html

All this MC/MD discussion got me to remembering. Back when I was a camera dealer, for a while I had in my inventory an MC Rokkor 16mm f/2.8 and a SRT 101. I shot a roll of film with that lens because it was the first full-frame fisheye I'd ever had. It was a lot of fun. Here's one of the pics -- scanned negative. This was back in 1990 or so.

He was a good cat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
By "primitive" I was referring to its lack of a meter coupling.

Is your 1.4/58 MC Rokkor labeled Auto PF only, or does it also include the MC designation?

Hello Michael, sorry I missed this earlier. My lens is MC Rokkor-PF 1.4/58. I was trying to point out that the PF designation did indeed carry on into the MC range.

Here are another couple of useful sites:
http://eazypix.de/tinc?key=fvkr3ZFc&formname=lenses
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html
http://minolta.eazypix.de/shades/lensshades.html

Love the cat pic. Makes me feel green and dizzy! Smile