Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wanna be MFer here.. Opinions on my first purchases..
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Wanna be MFer here.. Opinions on my first purchases.. Reply with quote

I got a Pentax K100D super sometimes ago.. Though i am having quite a lot of time with two lenses i got , i can never keep myself from looking at the old MF lenses on the internet.. They just seem like extraterresterial artifacts to me.. The solid metal bodies, the nicely carved numbers and the smooth metal rings.. Olt of this world.. Days a go i used my friends CZ Jena on my camera and hell thats what i want..

Aside from shooting with them, i even love just looking at one sittin on the table..

The downside is, i live in TURKEY and nice MF's are rarely found locally.. So i started lookin at e-bay and found several which i want to buy. I have a moderate budget for these and just want to buy and try several models..

I searched for the lens pricings and i could not get a clear idea of some..
Here are the ones i am planning to purchase;
What do you think they are worth if they are in mint condition?

CZJ Flektogon Red MC 35mm f/2.4
CZJ Flektogon 35mm f/2.8
CZJ Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 MC
Meyer Trioplan 100mm f/2.8
Pentacon 100mm f/2.8
Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 Red MC
CZC Sonnar 135mm f/3.5 Red MC

I am so gonna get them..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here ! Welcome in endless oportunity (wonderfull world of old lenses)

First class lens

CZJ Flektogon 35mm f/2.8
Don't need if you have above , contrast less other ways an excellent léns.

First class lens.
It has very unique character, hate it or love it yo will decide.
Pentacon 100mm f/2.8
Rare, nice lens , excellent for portraits
Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 Red MC
Some people love it some don't , quality is not stable , perhaps this is the reason.
First class lens, not many better 135mm lens available especially for this price.

You can found plenty of samples taken with above lenses , here.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for your lightning fast reply.. What do you think i should pay max for the ones stated as first class? 50$, 150$.. gonna pay shipping around 15$ for each..

Oh i can not wait till i get my hands and eyes on them.. wonderful forum here BTW..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/rokreporter/run.html

You can find prices here db contains 17000+ ebay salles from last two years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wanna be MFer here.. Opinions on my first purchases.. Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:

CZJ Flektogon 35mm f/2.8
Pentacon 100mm f/2.8

Very good lenses indeed, but IMHO really overpriced at the moment.
You can find lenses that perform on the same level for less money.
Allow me to suggest some:
CZJ Flektogon Red MC 35mm f/2.4 --- Nikkor 2.0/35 (OK, not cheaper, but even better. Wink)
CZJ Flektogon 35mm f/2.8 --- Asahi Takumar 3.5/35 (OK, slower but not that much.) Or in both cases the MIR-1B 2.8/37.
CZJ Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 MC --- Asahi Takumar 1.4/50 or Olympus Zuiko 1.4/50 or Nikkor 1.4/50
Meyer Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 --- Kaleinar 2.8/100 or Asahi Takumar 2.8/105
Pentacon 100mm f/2.8 --- s.o.
CZC Sonnar 135mm f/3.5 Red MC --- Nikkor 3.5/135

Throndor wrote:

I am so gonna get them..

OK, go then... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have a Pentax camera, I'd suggest any of the M42 or K mount lenses out there. You'll get a good standard of performance with any Pentax prime, whether Super Takumar or later. Also, don't forget the Vivitars, Tamrons et al... for the price many are very good indeed.

Personally, I like the 35 and 28 focal lengths with the crop camera. The Super Tak (and variants) of the 35/3.5 are very good lenses, apart from being slow. I like these a bit better than the 28/3.5's. In K mount you can also get 3.5's or 2.8's for a bit more speed.

With the 50, nearly ANY lens will give you at least good to excellent performance. The differences between the stars and supporting cast are very small. Again, any Pentax will be excellent to try, I'd go by price...

Good luck, and hope to see you posting MF pics soon Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'll post a couple as soon as I get my hands on the lenses..

and that pricing list has been really helpful.. so thanx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'm tired about 28 or 35 mm. The view of them not surprise me more.

Try to 17/21 mm.

Your list is very good for me, except 100's mm and 29 mm., and specially goods ones the 50 pancolar and the 135 sonnar.

I have the 35/2,4 and wait more for it.

Good luck and enjoy!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50mm pancolar is a WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL piece of glass.

I highly recommend it.

The 35mm 2.8 flektogon is really quite good too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm focusing on ;

50 1.8 Pancolar MC
35 2.4 Flektagon MC
135 3.5 Sonnar MC

It feels like "if its MC than get it"..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for CZJ lenses - yes!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throndor

The CZJ 35/2,4 is a great lens, of course, but I found that isn't pair.

The center is very, very sharp. At the border it becomes less sharp - very noticiable for me.

The panky 50/1,8 is much pair. At center isn't as sharp as 35/2,4 but at corners is very sharp, more than the 35/2,4.

May be, if you are agree, that a 20 mm (in CZJ if you want it) can be more convenient. 35 and 50, are too close ?

Regards, Rino.