Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VS1 and ATX 90/2.5 Macros - Optical Twins Separated by Birth
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: VS1 and ATX 90/2.5 Macros - Optical Twins Separated by Birth Reply with quote

Both "Bokinas" were made by Tokina, but their "births" were a number of years apart.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealousy does not even begin to describe my feelings about this post... Mad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Nice one!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Great to have both!
It is sometimes claimed that the two differ in coatings, and that the Tokina has the more "modern" one.
I feel that it flares quite massively.
Did you ever compare the two shooting into direct light?
Did you notice a difference?

Hi, Bernhard.

I've had both "twins" for some time now, and I use an AT-X 90/2.5 for my main macro lens. To be honest, I've never done much A-vs-B testing of the two lens models, but I have been intending to do that more recently (as I've been using more and more of my old manual focus "cult classics" just for fun as of late, using stop-down metering on my Pentax K-3).

So, I have used many of the old VS1 (and a few other Vivitar) lenses as well as some of the (mostly not quite as old) AT-X lenses, and my overall impression is that VMC is not exactly the strongest point with the VS1 lenses, and (again, without much of any A-vs-B testing) the Tokina coatings have seemed better (although neither as good as Pentax SMC).

I have to admit that I've used the VS1 90/2.5 only a few times, and always without a hood (although the lens does benefit from having the front element slightly recessed), while I do use the AT-X version with a hood always (since I have the nice dedicated clip-on hood for it anyways). But, in answer to your question, I really can't give a definitive answer (yet, anyway).

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOKINA AT-X 2.5/90

VIVITAR SERIES 1 2.5/90

I like 'em both !
And if you were to have me look at a picture from each lenses, i probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart...
Therefore i'm gonna keep the Tokina, with its latest coating and less bulk and weight.... If anyone wants the Vivitar...

But it's a pity i can't find a proper hood for any of them..... sure wish i could get at least the measurements from someone who owns the
dedicated Tokina hood, so to choose something similar...... I've been using a Minolta A 70-210/4 hood on the Tokina..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
sure wish i could get at least the measurements from someone who owns the dedicated Tokina hood, so to choose something similar

I'll get some measurements for you. Also, I believe that the hood is also used on at least another lens, so I'll also see if I can get that model number, too. Stand by...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
Mir wrote:
sure wish i could get at least the measurements from someone who owns the dedicated Tokina hood, so to choose something similar

I'll get some measurements for you. Also, I believe that the hood is also used on at least another lens, so I'll also see if I can get that model number, too. Stand by...

The dedicated hood says "Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Ø55 Japan". It measures 50mm in length. Its diameter at the clip-on base is 74mm, and its diameter at the open end is 77mm (it flares slightly).

However, there is a "generic" (so to speak) Tokina hood that says "Tokina SH-551 Ø55 Japan". It is exactly the same in size, shape, and clip-on style. (I am using it on an RMC Tokina 100-300/5.6 lens, which came with it.)

There are a couple of nice features to the hood design -- its clip-on method is quite secure, with a four-fingers-in-a-groove, claw-like mounting method (so it's not at all easy to knock it off by accident), and, when clipped on in reverse position, the lens cap can still snap into the 55mm filter threads.

I use the "Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Ø55" hood on the 90/2.5 even when inside, out of the sunlight, since it helps to prevent hitting the front of the lens on something (such as the close object being photographed, which is a particular hazard for a macro lens).

EDIT: Here are some pix of the two AT-X 90/2.5 Macro identical (except for markings) hood models:

And here you can see how the dedicated case, for the lens and its 1:1 extender, includes just enough room for the hood, attached to the lens in a reversed position, with the front lens cap installed:

Fred

Last edited by fwcetus on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much appreciated !
Thanks !
Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that Vivitar and the matching extender - both sit around unused Wink

Teh last two images prove why.... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I have that Vivitar and the matching extender - both sit around unused Wink