Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volna-9 portraits?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Volna-9 portraits? Reply with quote

Anyone tried using this lens wide-open for anything OTHER than macro photography?

I love the bokeh characteristics of this lens (the best approximation of Gaussian blur in a lens, IMO) - but all the sample shots with the lens I've seen tend to be in macro contexts only.

I would love to see how that beautiful bokeh works out in portrait situations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Volna-9 takes superb portraits. I shoot with it wide open to get a slightly soft rendering which is very flattering to the model. Stopped down a bit it sharpens up nicely but I prefer wide open. The Volna-9 is a very versatile lens! Sorry there is no real bokeh in my sample below.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small
interesting idea!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Volna-9 portraits? Reply with quote

Damp Cat wrote:
I love the bokeh characteristics of this lens (the best approximation of Gaussian blur in a lens, IMO) - but all the sample shots with the lens I've seen tend to be in macro contexts only.

The Volna 9 may have smooth background blur due to spherical aberration.
But lenses with apodization filter are even mbetter, they are sharp and could have really Gaussian blur. There is the nearly classic Minolta / Sony STF 135mm f/'2.8, the Fujifilm 56mm f/1.2 APD and the Laowa 105mm f/2.0. From what I know the Minolta / Sony have a strong (high maximum density) filter, and it seem the Fujifilm filter is not so strong.
I have made several homemade apodization lenses, and I am happy with them, but straylight is a problem.

The Volna 9 entrance pupil is relatively small, so for portrait work there is not much blur - depending on how close you get. The Nikon Defocus Control (DC) lenses 105 and 135mm f/2.0 have a variable spherical aberration. But their CA control is bad.
But their larger entrance pupil helps for portrait work.
You could use the Sigma YS 135mm f/2.8 System Focussing as not so fast and not so sharp alternative to the Nikkor Defocus Control lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Volna-9 portraits? Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
You could use the Sigma YS 135mm f/2.8 System Focussing as not so fast and not so sharp alternative to the Nikkor Defocus Control lenses.

I've considered the Sigma as well, but doesn't the System Focusing reduce the MFD significantly (to the point where its only usable in macro distances)? Or can the System Focusing ring be used at any focus distance?

Also, how does the blur smoothness of the Laowa compare to the Sony 135 STF?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Volna 9 + Lucky BW 100 film, taken few years ago

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
This is Volna 9 + Lucky BW 100 film, taken few years ago

Lovely picture - but I have to say the softness (and I'm not averse to soft lenses in general) and the not-so-narrow DoF takes a lot of emphasis away from the otherwise ridiculously smooth bokeh, and just makes the image look like it off-focus a little bit, or had its clarity reduced by a lot in Lightroom.

I don't think this lens is for me, sorry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve sold mine a while back but remembered taking a couple of shots of my daughter when I first got one. Not ideal for fast moving little ones but the bokeh wasn`t unpleasant at all, nailing focus WO was hard enough on still subjects though!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Volna-9 portraits? Reply with quote

Damp Cat wrote:
I've considered the Sigma as well, but doesn't the System Focusing reduce the MFD significantly (to the point where its only usable in macro distances)? Or can the System Focusing ring be used at any focus distance?

Also, how does the blur smoothness of the Laowa compare to the Sony 135 STF?

The Sigma YS is tricky to use. Not using normal YS mount but a ahort, I think M42 mount adapter. This did not screw in completely but only 1.5 rounds. But you get some extra focussing range. The focal length of the lens changes with using the macro / defocus control, so depending on the defocus control setting you need sometimes extension tubes.
The Nikon DC lenses are much easier to use, and sharper (without defocus control). But they cost much more too.

I can not tell much about the Laowa apodization lens. I hope that now with different apodization lenses some users will supply us with images of the apodization elements of the different lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Volna-9 portraits? Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Damp Cat wrote:

I have made several homemade apodization lenses, and I am happy with them, but straylight is a problem.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the Fuji lens as the effect was not too strong, but I think at the same time the bokeh in your DIY example became too small for my taste, leading to greater contrasts in the bokeh. Would be interesting to compare a variety of strengths to find a sweet spot for bokeh size and blur. Having said that though, I think if I couldn't directly compare the two, then I'd still be very pleased with the effect.