Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer Vitomatic IIa
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Voigtländer Vitomatic IIa Reply with quote

Hello all

Do you fave this camera : Voigtländer Vitomatic IIa ?
http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?VoigtlanderVitomatic.html~mainFrame
How it performs/handles ? Is it reliable ? To what I should look when buing a used one ?
Thank you very much.
Regards.
Cosmin.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 0 for 2 with these, and I gave up. I really wanted one, but the shutter doesn't work well, and the lens can be frozen. So my experience is: not very reliable.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I was a voigtlander collector and I had got the vitomatic IIa
It was a very good camera, confiable, and with a very good skopar 2,8/50 lens - a tessar design lens 4 elements in 3 groups- (some models came with the ultron 2/50 - so-so lens). The skopar is sharp from F/8 to 16. Very, very soft at F/2,8 -4 and usuable (not very good) at 5,6. Look to the rear element : fungus.
It had a good telemeter system with a large patch to focus. The viewfinder was clear and in 1:1.
The real problem was the photometer. It's a @45 years old camera!!! This say everything, no?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: :( Reply with quote

Well, I bought one, but I'm very disappointed (and my brother too - he would like a nice, cheap non-russian RF - nonrussian because its dimensions, not a leaf shutter/not enough silent and because the wind first-shutter selection order issue).
The seller (a local one, not from the same locality but from Romania) didn't tell me about the many problems the camera has although I asked first exactly to verify everything:
1.Almost stiff focusing ring
2.Non working rangefinder
3.The winder's lever has a crack , so if it will broke the camera is useless (the film can not be winded)
4.The camera received a big hit I suppose beacuse it has on the bottom a bend in the plate.
I hope the seller will accept it back (with full refund, of course). It was not bought through an auction site so I can not leave no feedback.
Otherwise it seems a VERY SOLID camera but not too ergonomical. The shutter is very silent (compared with a SLR).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it feels like they put lead inside, such a dense camera. And pretty too. I really hoped the two I bought would work... I did get 3 pics on one of them before it gave up.

The lens is stiff because the grease thickens with age. The viewfinder when it works I thought was beautiful - large and clear. And there is a lot of clever design built in.

Too bad about your purchase, I do hope you get your money back.

I wonder what other German RF's there are, small and pretty, but more sensible than the Vitomatic?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever tried the Agfa Karats. The
ones to get are the Solagon and Helagon-lensed, models, from what I
hear. They are a nice compact German-made cam.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cosmin,
Sorry not to have seen this thread until now...
I got five Voigtlanders from the Vitoret - Vito family, one of them is a Vito much like yours.
I started collecting Vitorets because I had one when I was young, (I did the same with the Konica C35 for the same reason).
Mechanically all of mine are quite robust, they have survived well the pass of time. But their performance is not astonishing. And they have a common factor, the selenium cells are dead after all these years. Not really a problem because they use no battery. With the help of the F16/sunshine rule or an external light meter, one can use them easily.

The best pictures I got from them are always with B&W film, so I keep them for occasional use.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jesito"]Hi Cosmin,

I got five Voigtlanders from the Vitoret - Vito family, one of them is a Vito much like yours.
I started collecting Vitorets because I had one when I was young, (I did the same with the Konica C35 for the same reason).
Mechanically all of mine are quite robust, they have survived well the pass of time. But their performance is not astonishing. And they have a common factor, the selenium cells are dead after all these years. Not really a problem because they use no battery. With the help of the F16/sunshine rule or an external light meter, one can use them easily.
The best pictures I got from them are always with B&W film, so I keep them for occasional use.
Jes.[/quote]

Hello Jes.

I began as voigtlander collector with the cameras of my father, and I was, like you, very yang.

About the performance, you know that they have 4 normal lenses : vaskar (3 elements), lanthar (3 elements with one of lanthanum) skopar (a tessar with 4 elements) and the ultron F/2.

The skopar is the best, and the color pictures are fine with pastel tonalities and good sharpness from 8 to 16.

Of corse they weren't leica M, but nice. Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Hello Jes.

I began as voigtlander collector with the cameras of my father, and I was, like you, very yang.

About the performance, you know that they have 4 normal lenses : vaskar (3 elements), lanthar (3 elements with one of lanthanum) skopar (a tessar with 4 elements) and the ultron F/2.

The skopar is the best, and the color pictures are fine with pastel tonalities and good sharpness from 8 to 16.

Of corse they weren't leica M, but nice. Regards.

Unfortunately all mine are lanthar ones. The Ultron ones are too expensive...

Yes, besides the limitations, they are nice and easy to fix. I learned disassembling cameras with them.

Jes.