Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VNEX Wollensak 135 4.5 Enlarger Raptar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: VNEX Wollensak 135 4.5 Enlarger Raptar Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bad at all... with some PS tweak you get quite decent IQ :

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way...maybe a silly question, but where can I buy me the VNEX ? can you point me please?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptars never really impressed me, but this one seriously lacks contrast. But I like the German Mercedes of course, although I prefer to diver "beamers" Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igor wrote:
by the way...maybe a silly question, but where can I buy me the VNEX ? can you point me please?

Contact him, "hinnerker" the inventor and sells the: http://forum.mflenses.com/profile,mode,viewprofile,u,1806.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "glow" apparently is characteristic of Wollensak Tessar-type lenses.
Particularly wide open.
The enlarger lenses just seem to be the usual taking lenses in a different mounting.
Which is a reason many pro's back in the day considered them low quality.

On the other hand, Wollensaks were almost universally used in the US as pro photographers lenses, as they were standard on Speed Graphics and Graflex cameras, and others as well. Kodak was the other major supplier but until the 1960's never had as much of the market as Wollensak.

I guess the glow was just an aesthetic convention of the time, what many people thought was artistic or flattering for B&W photography.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would replace WOLLENSAK's by RAPTAR's, Luis, as Wollensak made some outstanding lenses (I have some) Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some of everything ! Or rather, a lot of everything.

Still, I myself have a pile of Wollensaks. Some good, some not so good, many have a "glow".

Yes Raptar was Wollensaks lens trademark for many lenses, rather inconsistently, both for enlarging and taking lenses.