Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 Kiron - no VMC - misadventure
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 Kiron - no VMC - misadventure Reply with quote

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes the game is rained out.

This one I lost. Won't say I got my butt kicked . . . but I did perceive a definite nudge back there:

Bought a copy of the subject lens while breaking several rules at the same time:

*bought sight unseen (except for photo) with no written description or opportunity to examine
*did inadequate research
*had too much enthusiasm

So guess I got what I richly deserved.

This is a really early Series 1 . . too early for my own good. Despite a decent superficial appearance, it turned out to be dirty inside and out. The "out" part I can handle. But every element appears to have some kind of coating, maybe fungus, perhaps just some sort of serious "haze".

The lens is not a catastrophe aside from being dirty. The filter ring has a very minor ding which is easily repairable. The lens does not appear to have been dropped. It remains mechanically possible to put the unit into macro mode and take it out. There are no scratches on either front or rear elements . . a good thing.

But without total disassembly, cleaning, and rehabilitation this lens cannot be used to take photos. And I don't have the skill or knowledge to tear this puppy down. Also, next time, if there ever is a next time, I will for certain buy the VMC (coated) version. My lens, with S/N beginning "22403..." appears to have been manufactured very nearly forty years ago, in 1973.

The lens came inside an old leather case. Am betting that did not mitigate favorably. I'm not upset because not a great deal of dough was on the line. Live and learn.

Having now looked into this a bit, I've been surprised by how inexpensive this Series 1 lens is. Even the newer Tokina version is affordable . . . and newer is better, offering less opportunity for wear and tear. So I've learned my lesson . . . I hope. Wink

ETA

Darn it. I forgot to ask my question:

The lens came with a Konica AR mount, which seems less common in this model lens. Does anyone think that is an especially good thing . . or bad thing?

Last edited by guardian on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the V2 Tokina version, not as good as the V1 imho, judging by samples I've seen from other people.

On ebay UK, the Series 1 70-210 is very common and cheap, in the less popular mounts it can be had for 10-20ukp.

I bought a Canon FD 4/80-200 for 99p the other day.

What camera do you need to mount it on? There are some excellent but cheap 80-200 lenses, Konica UC 80-200 is fantastic if you can mount it on your camera.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lucked into my Komine made Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm, I got it in a lot of stuff because I wanted the Pentax M 35mm and 28mm, didn't realize until I got it home how great the Vivitar is. They are definitely worth going for if you find a good one.

I have learned to be really cautious about lenses in those old leather cases, I bought a dirt cheap Rexatar 135mm and Super Lentar 21mm together, both were in those cases and they smelled like a musty attic. The Super Lentar was clean, but the Rexatar was full of fungus and haze.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I had the V2 Tokina version, not as good as the V1 imho, judging by samples I've seen from other people.

On ebay UK, the Series 1 70-210 is very common and cheap, in the less popular mounts it can be had for 10-20ukp.

I bought a Canon FD 4/80-200 for 99p the other day.

What camera do you need to mount it on? There are some excellent but cheap 80-200 lenses, Konica UC 80-200 is fantastic if you can mount it on your camera.

I belatedly edited my OP to ask a question about the mount.

My only two (digital) cameras are an Olympus E-PL1 and a Sigma SD14. Had things turned out better the lens would have been for the former.

But I don't necessarily buy lenses for the sake of taking photos . . . . I just like lenses. I can't really explain it. I just like them.

But I'm not completely nuts. I do like lenses much better when they are clean and can be used to take photos. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliott wrote:
I lucked into my Komine made Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm, I got it in a lot of stuff because I wanted the Pentax M 35mm and 28mm, didn't realize until I got it home how great the Vivitar is. They are definitely worth going for if you find a good one.

I have learned to be really cautious about lenses in those old leather cases, I bought a dirt cheap Rexatar 135mm and Super Lentar 21mm together, both were in those cases and they smelled like a musty attic. The Super Lentar was clean, but the Rexatar was full of fungus and haze.

From what I've been reading (albeit too late) about this series, the Komine version does appear to be the "pick of the litter".

Personally, I'd be happy to own any one of the first three versions, provided the lens is coated and clean. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you are certainly not the first to go for a pig in the poke and end up with singed digits. When I'm in the mood, I look for something unusual but with such a poor description that it is likely to go cheap. It's just like gambling, and sometimes it does work out well. And if it doesn't, then no harm done.

guardian wrote:

But I don't necessarily buy lenses for the sake of taking photos . . . . I just like lenses. I can't really explain it. I just like them.

My problem is I like to buy lenses with uncommon mounts purely to make my own adapters for. And then, once I've made the adapter, I'll buy more lenses just to use the adapter.

I bought a Petri breechlock teleconverter to make a Petri adapter from. I don't have any Petri mount lenses. As it happened, the TC turned out to be a Praktina mount. So now I've had to buy a Praktina mount lens just so I can make a Praktina adapter. That's how logical I am. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

From what I've been reading (albeit too late) about this series, the Komine version does appear to be the "pick of the litter".

To think, when I was buying it I set it aside as "just another old consumer grade zoom" and was trying to decide if the Pentax M primes were worth the $102 to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one with the '22' Kiron serial number in M42 mount a while back to use on my Pentax K10, I think I paid about £25 for it in very good condition. I liked it so much that when I saw a Canon FD mount one for £10 I bought even though it has slight fungus, I have an adapter to use M42 on the Canon's, but I still bought it. I like these lenses that much. This one is a '28' serial number Komine.
On the Canon with film I defy anyone to notice any degradation in the image and say "that lens has fungus". I think that it would take serious pixel peeping at huge magnification to become apparent, not a problem, "apparent".
These are very good lenses, just use it and see if you think the images are poor. My guess is that unless the fungus is really bad it will have a negligible effect on the image.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I bought one with the '22' Kiron serial number in M42 mount a while back to use on my Pentax K10, I think I paid about £25 for it in very good condition. I liked it so much that when I saw a Canon FD mount one for £10 I bought even though it has slight fungus, I have an adapter to use M42 on the Canon's, but I still bought it. I like these lenses that much. This one is a '28' serial number Komine.
On the Canon with film I defy anyone to notice any degradation in the image and say "that lens has fungus". I think that it would take serious pixel peeping at huge magnification to become apparent, not a problem, "apparent".
These are very good lenses, just use it and see if you think the images are poor. My guess is that unless the fungus is really bad it will have a negligible effect on the image.

I'm respectful of your thinking. Thanks.

Sadly for me, in this particular instance, the contamination, fungus or whatever, is rather severe. It appears to have infected every element of the lens so there is a cumulative impact, all the elements being in effect in "series".

I have seen manageable amounts of fungus in other lenses so I know you are correct in what you wrote. That's not what I am seeing, though, with this Vivitar Series 1. This is the second worst fungal (or whatever) infestation I've ever witnessed. Whatever that is in there, it has been partying and carrying on a really long time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, this is a great page for some help with servicing the old vivitar series 1 lenses depennding on the version,

I have two of the version 1, one in good shape, bit of dust and oil but otherwise is in great condition optically, externally has the odd knock though. I have another that is in superb condition externally, and surprisingly great condition internally almost no dust and no evaporated oil on the optics.... BUUUUUUT has a couple of spots of fungus (boooo)

Since i have two of these, one of them will be getting a service following the service manual i found online... will let you know how i get on...

(also i had an issue trying to link it, guessed it would be spam protection as a new forum user?)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, in first post of the new member links and photos don't show up, anti-spam measure. from now on all should work as it should

welcome to the forum

any thread about lens repair is better to be started in "Equipment care and repair" part of the forum. then you can make a link in this thread to that thread

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hates fungus!