Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm/2.8-3.5 1st take
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm/2.8-3.5 1st take Reply with quote

Background...
A few weeks ago I had picked up a Vivi S.1 70-210/3.5 (Kino/Kiron) (please see my photos taken with it) and had been told the 2.8-4 Komine version was a bit better and so when I found one a couple weeks later at a pawn shop, attached to a Nikon FE that worked I had to take it home (I mean, you have to take the advice of people here, right?!?), along with the 28-90 sitting behind it in the display cabinet...both had Nikon mounts and since I have a certain lust to get a Nikon Dslr someday, it was a no-brainer...for now at least they'll work on my Canon...

The glass in both is pristine and I can see why people would like the Komine 70-210...a bit more compact and focuses "normally" in macro-mode...whether I like it, or the Kino more, (I seem to prefer the heft of the Kino) is still up for exploration/experimentation...

In the meanwhile, I am looking at the 28-90....unlike the 70-210, its aperture leaves are oily and won't stop down from 2.8...they will close from F4, yes, but they stick wide open when 1st set wide open and will not stop down...not good for working on the Nikon, but okay on the Canon IF I don't open it wide and ask it to say AHHHHHHHH.....I would just tape it to F5.6 and use it there all the time if it were sharp enough...soooooooo.....

I decided to take some shots at 5.6 to see if I would be happy with it there more or less permanently and here are the results taken @ 28mm...Full Frame on a 30D and a few 100% crops at the corners (the center wouldn't be an issue)....they look pretty good...I haven't taken any test shots yet @ 90mm and I don't expect quite the equal...but we'll see...I'll take some and post when I do.

You can buy this lens in complete working order cheaply enough on fleabay, but I have this one now and I think it's a keeper...I look forward to taking it out for some landscapes and such...and will post them for your enjoyment...and mine...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without question the S1 28-90mm is a wonderful lens, well-suited for. . .

Landscapes

Portraits

Close-ups/macros

Lizards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful results and very sharp.
Were these lenses only made by Komine, or did Kiron/Kobori/Tokina/Cosina ever make one?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. It's a great piece of hardware.

Only made by Komine. They had a short contract cycle with Vivitar in late 1970s to very early 1980s.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my "new" MF Vivitar 28-90mm/F2.8-3.5 Series 1 lens out for the 1st time today....
....and I am very impressed with its vibrant colors and contrast...
I actually had to pull back the contrast in these scenes...
Full frame 100% crops on Canon 30D @5.6

One bit of luck....after letting the lens sit @ f16 for a month, the leaves now close down from wide open...