Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 200mm f/3.5AF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 200mm f/3.5AF Reply with quote

Yes, it's an auto-focus lens. But being designed and made during the early auto-focus period, it's got a beautiful manual focus collar on it. I actually usually use mine in manual focus mode. In testing, it did VERY well. Even besting the legendary Nikon 180 f/2.8 lens.

Vivitar S-1 200mm f/3.5AF. f/5.6 on Portra 800 film.

Last edited by Russ on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare bird, I saw only yours.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this looks interesting! Seems to be designed for the F3AF? Like the AF-I-models from the early 80s?

Does it work on modern Nikon DSLRs?

Regards

Benedikt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm so ugly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who made your version Russ?....
Mine's a Cosina made version

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenediktW wrote:
Wow, this looks interesting! Seems to be designed for the F3AF? Like the AF-I-models from the early 80s?

Does it work on modern Nikon DSLRs?

Regards

Benedikt

It works great on just about any rig. I use it on my FM, FE, FE-2 and F-100. The auto-focus motor is built into it, so it works with any manual focus rig and is very easy to handhold steadily.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one, bought brand new back then but sold it because I changed systems. The lens itself was of great quality, the early AF system was a little cranky though!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
I had one, bought brand new back then but sold it because I changed systems. The lens itself was of great quality, the early AF system was a little cranky though!

In marginal light, it can be spotty. In sufficient light, it works rather well. Keep in mind, that it was early AF technology.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Attila this is the only one I've seen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is $175 a fair price for the original (manual focus) version of this lens in OM mount? Series 1 200mm f/3.0.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Is $175 a fair price for the original (manual focus) version of this lens in OM mount? Series 1 200mm f/3.0.

yes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, good. Would you like to buy one for $175? Very good condition, perfect optics. Usual few dust particles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott

Both Komine and Cosina made the Vivitar 200mm f/3.5AF lenses. Both versions are VERY good. In terms of image quality, it's a bit better than the S-1, f/3.0 manual version.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
But what is the mfd ? 2.5m ?
Because of the mfd, compactness, built-in lens hood, the S1 / 3.0 never left my bag Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I get this right, this is an AF lens for MF mounts? I.e. AF sensors, motor etc. built-in?

There were some for Minolta MF too, iirc 75-200 or something like that, funny look with three small "ear" cylinders (housing the three AAA to power it I suppose)

They show up sometimes on ebay to confuse minolta AF buyers

The real-AF version of the 75-200/4.5 can be pretty good (danubia/ozunon/brandmeharder) but I do not know whether the MF-AF has the same optics