Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 450/sld anyone familiar with this M42 SLR??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well, if you used the preset lens correctly, you'd know you don't have to focus stopped down, they have two rings, that's a clue Wink

You can't trust ANY M42 camera/lens combo to have infinity exactly where it's marked, that' far from an adapter-only issue.

I was weighing some chemicals earlier to make up a fresh batch of developer so just out of curiosity I weighed the four cameras I had on the table.

Miranda Sensorex with Miranda 1.4/50 - 1100g
Topcon RE-2 with Topcor 1.8/58 - 975g
Pentax Spotmatic with Takumar 2/55 -950g
EOS 10qd with Pancolar 1.8/50 - 825g

Anyways, you seem to have many unfortunate misconceptions, so I'll leave you to your search.

Think you know that I don't meen a acctoly preset lens and one with a auto aperture used as one.

And yes you can in most cases trust m42 camera/lens combo.
Have used around 10 diffurent m42 cameras for my personal use.
And way many more lenses for these and yes you can find problems with infinity.
But that this would be a very common problem it not true.
And I have next to only seen this on very cheap lenses with names I never heard of.
SLR with wronge flange distance is not something I have seen so far.

Don't know what you want to prove by showing what your cameras with lenses weights are?
And it looks just like you want to show that your EOS is lighter then all of your older once.
Would it not be better to show what just the cameras weights with battery would be?
But it would problaly not looks as good then.

My last replay to you seed that there was not that big diffurence between your EOS and a SP that I used as a exampel.
Took the SP as a exampel becouse this is just a awesome camera in build quality, looks and feel.
That is not something I could say about any EOS I have seen so far, especially not look and feel in my eyes.
But the one that are hunting grams can find way lighter with the older handcranked cameras.
Like a RevueFlex SD1 M42: 450g
And the lens I think this camera orignaly came with, Revuenon 50mm f/1.9: 145g
Much lighter SLR with lens is problaly not all that easy to find.

It's not like I'm new to this and I test, buy and sell old camera and lense for a living.
And m42 are my favorite mount much becouse you can and many know that you can use these on most digital cameras.
But when I use these for just for fun I want to use these as it ment.
Yes I have looked for a more modern cameras with a adapter which might have a better lightmeter etc but haven't found anything I like so far.
And half the joy for me is the great look and feel of these cameras.
If I wanted confort and fast and easy to use I would still have my Nikon F4 with AF lenses.

This pissing contest have been very fun but I suspect that you don't know the answer my original question for this post??
Which was if someone are familiar with the Vivitar 450/sld (m42 SLR)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to get me one of these to test them out.
And have now also done a little review of this camera for those that are interested.
http://www.blog.bkspicture.com/review_Vivitar_450-SLD.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Why an M42 SLR? You can use others like the EOS range or the Ricoh and Pentax K mount series, just stick an adapter on them.

I used an EOS 10qd for M42 lenses, the multi-segment metering is light years ahead of the old M42 cameras.

I was thinking the same and the Minoltas too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Why an M42 SLR? You can use others like the EOS range or the Ricoh and Pentax K mount series, just stick an adapter on them.

I used an EOS 10qd for M42 lenses, the multi-segment metering is light years ahead of the old M42 cameras.

I was thinking the same and the Minoltas too.

Well there are those that like to use there old equipment as intended.
And don't se the point in taken a nice vintage lens and putting it on a modern body like a EOS 10 which is 90% plastic.
There are even those crazy people that still uses such old cameras that don't even have a light meter at all like old leica or Zorki etc.
I used a nice pocket light meter for those which was from the 50s befor I doped and broke it.

Suspect that you can find quite a lot of people like that on a forum specifically dedicated to manual focus lense. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKSPicture wrote:

And don't se the point in taken a nice vintage lens and putting it on a modern body like a EOS 10 which is 90% plastic.

What does the plastic content have to do with anything? Most consumer cameras of the 80's and 90's were plastic and people use their lenses on modern cameras.

BKSPicture wrote:
Well there are those that like to use there old equipment as intended.

Many of those also use vintage lenses on plastic cameras

BKSPicture wrote:
There are even those crazy people that still uses such old cameras that don't even have a light meter at all like old leica or Zorki etc.

Yes indeed, they are the ones who "..like to use there old equipment as intended"(sic). A light meter is not necessary to take well exposed photographs. If I use a camera without a meter I don't meter, in the old days you followed the directions on the film pack and after 40 odd years you tend to remember.

BKSPicture wrote:
I used a nice pocket light meter for those which was from the 50s befor I doped and broke it.

Don't do dope and handle photographic equipment.

BKSPicture wrote:
Suspect that you can find quite a lot of people like that on a forum specifically dedicated to manual focus lense. Smile

That is true, you also get arrogant twits who can't spell for toffee and argue just to stir up shit. Putting a smiley at the end of a statement doesn't change anything. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Vivitar 220/SL. Very similar to 450. After quick read of your 450 review, I cannot find differences. I like bright microprism focus screen.

Why has nobody mentioned Spotmatic? Choose from SP, SPII, F, and ESII...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Most consumer cameras of the 80's and 90's were plastic and people use their lenses on modern cameras.

Yes in the 80s and 90s but most m42 lens and cameras are older then that.

But this is more or less the same argument as why use film, mf lenses or a vintage car for that matter etc.
It's not like thay are better then todays ver in normal practical use.

Sorry I diden't mean to offend you which I apparently did.
Also sorry that my spelling on my second language is not the best.

Last yes dope and handle photographic equipment don't mix well.

Last edited by BKSPicture on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I have Vivitar 220/SL. Very similar to 450. After quick read of your 450 review, I cannot find differences. I like bright microprism focus screen.

Why has nobody mentioned Spotmatic? Choose from SP, SPII, F, and ESII...

The 220/SL is apparenlty the same camera as the 450 but with no spot metering and no battery check button.

Don't know if it's anything diffurent about the viewfinder of them both.
Does the 220 ground glas have a microprism only or a split screen as well??

Spotmatic are very nice cameras and I have tested the SP and SP II but I prefer the vertical metal bladed shutter which I find more reliable.
Horizontal traveling cloth curtain like in the spotmatic are usually better at vabritions and sound.
But have had quite a few old cameras with that shutter typ which hade problems with uneven exposures slow shutter speeds etc.
And very little problems with the metal shutters.

The Fujica ST701 has one of the best and brightest viewfinders that I have seen on a old m42 so far.
It also has one great microprism that works great.
But the light meter takes mercury batteries Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKSPicture wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

Most consumer cameras of the 80's and 90's were plastic and people use their lenses on modern cameras.

Yes in the 80s and 90s but most m42 lens and cameras are older then that.

But this is more or less the same argument as why use film, mf lenses or a vintage car for that matter etc.
It's not like thay are better then todays ver in normal practical use.

Sorry I diden't mean to offend you which I apparently did.
Also sorry that my spelling on my second language is not the best.

Last yes dope and handle photographic equipment don't mix well.

Apology not necessary, you didn't offend me. I was taking a dig at your language knowing English isn't your first language - sorry!

You appear to pooh-pooh everything we do and say and I was wondering why you post on this forum if our interests are incompatible.

Everyone likes different, there are many tape and vinyl and old car fans on this board because they like it. Its not my thing at all but I don't question their attachment to out-dated technology. I accept it without comment or judgement. As I wish you would.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I was wondering why you post on this forum

To advertise his own site of course!

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Everyone likes different, there are many tape and vinyl and old car fans on this board because they like it. Its not my thing at all but I don't question their attachment to out-dated technology. I accept it without comment or judgement. As I wish you would.

Wow ... is this a case like that?
I stared this post asking if someone have tested the Vivitar 450/sld camera.
iangreenhalgh1 asked why use a old camera when you can use a modern one with a adapter (which you quoted agreeing with a month+ later)
We hade a quite long conversation where I exlain why I prefer cameras made for these and I have tested moslty what he suggested.
One can ask what that question got to do with the original question.
And is that not questioning someones attachment to out-dated technology which you accept without comment or judgement?

I don't care how anyone uses there things and I don't go in to others forum post questening why anyone would use a specific thing.
When other do that to me however I usually replay with my view.
But thats apparently me "pooh-pooh" on everyone.
Yes my answer to your first comment was maybe a little harsh if you have missed that we already had a long conversation about that.
But I assumed that you did not just quote something in the beginning and then skip the rest of the conversation.

And why do I post on this forum.
Well in this case it was to ask if someone have tested a camera.
But yes iangreenhalgh1 are right that I also advertise my own site.
Just like every other one linking there homepage and flickr site etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKSPicture wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
I have Vivitar 220/SL.

The 220/SL is apparenlty the same camera as the 450 but with no spot metering and no battery check button.

Don't know if it's anything diffurent about the viewfinder of them both.
Does the 220 ground glas have a microprism only or a split screen as well??

220/SL has microprism only...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
You appear to pooh-pooh everything we do and say and I was wondering why you post on this forum if our interests are incompatible.

I disagree.