Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 35/2.8 (Komine) - Any Thoughts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 35/2.8 (Komine) - Any Thoughts? Reply with quote

Hi All,

A quick question for the Vivitar experts among us. Does anyone have any experience with the 35mm/2.8 Komine-manufactured lens? There's lots of info out there about the Tokina T4 35/2.8 (which I own in Soligor guise) and the Komine 35/1.9 (which I own and admire), but I haven't been able to find any useful references to the Komine 2.8. (I assume the third-party lens database listing for a 1977 automatic Vivitar 35/2.8 refers to this lens, but that's just a guess.)

Is it so common that nobody has felt the need to talk about it, or so awful that everybody's tossed their copies - or something else altogether?

Thanks!

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komine-Vivitars are good lenses, i.e. all the one I have are good.
So that lens is worth a try IMHO - if you get for a nice price.

Of course, it's a basic design, but that could also mean "rather easy to calculate" which is good for the prospected performance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over at pentaxforums there's a massive thread that attempts to document and evaluate every Vivitar 28 variant:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34654-vivitar-28mm-fa31mm-replacement.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

@nesster: I occasionally check in on that thread - it helped me decide to purchase one of the 28mm/2.8 "Close Focus" Komine-Vivitars - but I was asking about the 35mm/2.8 Komine-built lens, which doesn't seem to have any threads anywhere dedicated to it.

@LucisPictor: I agree, on the basis of my experience so far, and I definitely hope you're right about this lens too - since I'm now waiting for one to arrive.

Just curious, more than anything, why it appears to be so seldom discussed. Even more than some other overlooked Vivitars, it seems to be an under-the-radar lens.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*DOH!* I wonder why I read 28 instead of 35 in your query.

Again, off track, I have a lens review of the initial T4 lenses from '69, where the 35mm was by far the star. But nothing about the Komine 35

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
*DOH!* I wonder why I read 28 instead of 35 in your query.

Again, off track, I have a lens review of the initial T4 lenses from '69, where the 35mm was by far the star. But nothing about the Komine 35

The 35mm is a between lens. In 35mm film it was not a super wide lens or a normal lens but rather a lens that fell in between. In todays digital world it would be a normal lens and thus should be more widely used. I have 2 and love both. I do not own a Komine version but every Komine I've owned have been very good performers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

Dawg, have you used the 35mm Komine? To my eye, it looks as if it would handle very much like the 28mm.

Jussi, I wonder if the success of the T4 35/2.8 (I assume the successor TX 35/2.5 was also a good one) might have overshadowed the fixed-mount Komine back then - and whether that might account for its near-invisibility now.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

Dawg, have you used the 35mm Komine? To my eye, it looks as if it would handle very much like the 28mm.

Jussi, I wonder if the success of the T4 35/2.8 (I assume the successor TX 35/2.5 was also a good one) might have overshadowed the fixed-mount Komine back then - and whether that might account for its near-invisibility now.

Cheers,

Jon

I haven't used that particular lens.....Yet!! LOL