Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter-made in M42?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter-made in M42? Reply with quote

Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter-made in M42? (incase the title is cutoff)

Just thought this might save me some time- we're talking about this one:

I've searched on eBay, but then went onto Google images for a broader search, but couldn't find anything. Wondering if there's a simple answer. All I've found are bayonet-mount versions.

I know you can break out the DIY work and put whatever mount on it, but it would be convenient to use with an M42 slim adapter. Panagor's came in M42 but it was internal focus.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use it with m42 lenses you can use a PK version with an m42 to PK adapter (the one that sits flush with the mount)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that specific Vivitar / Kenko / Teleplus 2x macro teleconverter post-dates the popularity of the M42 mount and hence was never issued in M42. Use some adapters like pentaxian suggested. If it is just the focus helicoid you are after a couple of mm for an M42 adapter probably won't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
I believe that specific Vivitar / Kenko / Teleplus 2x macro teleconverter post-dates the popularity of the M42 mount and hence was never issued in M42. Use some adapters like pentaxian suggested. If it is just the focus helicoid you are after a couple of mm for an M42 adapter probably won't matter.

I was thinking more for the rear interface, adapting any lens to the front is absolutely fine really.

And yeah- some lenses seem to have been issued in M42 even after their popularity had gone (after 1979?), especially third parties. Maybe this wasn't one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the screw mount market had gotten too small by then for a m42 convertor to be made as well. Especially a more expensive one with 7 elements.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very similat to the Macro Teleplus MC7 adapter, I have them in FD & PK mount and they are very good, but I don't know if they did a M42 version?
There are plenty of X2 and X3 Teleconverters for M42, I haven't seen a macro focusing one though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been searching for a M42 version for years, but have not come across one. Someone told me that they were indeed made in M42, but I think they were probably confused and what they meant was "Pentax" mount, ie PK, not M42.

I will keep looking though. Nobody has ever confirmed that they were not made in M42.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 of these excellent converters (Minolta MD and Nikon). M42 lenses are perfectly usable on the Minolta one with the original Minolta P-adapter and the MD converter is adaptable to any mirrorless digital camera.
Same is true for the PK version as already mentioned before.

I don't see really the point to look for a M42 version of this converter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a dozen or more copies of this converter (the helicoids are useful, after stripping out the optics) and have never seen an M42 one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That looks very similat to the Macro Teleplus MC7 adapter, I have them in FD & PK mount and they are very good, but I don't know if they did a M42 version?
There are plenty of X2 and X3 Teleconverters for M42, I haven't seen a macro focusing one though.

If my understanding/research is correct, all of these 2x macro focusing teleconverters (Vivitar / Teleplus / Kenko) are the same apart from some cosmetic changes, all made by Kenko, i.e. Tokina.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise I've never seen the Vivitar/Kenko type inM42 but I think the Panagor type which doesn't focus to infinity was made in M42 (I have such a copy coming in the post, and should be able to confirm once it arrives)

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

If my understanding/research is correct, all of these 2x macro focusing teleconverters (Vivitar / Teleplus / Kenko) are the same apart from some cosmetic changes, all made by Kenko, i.e. Tokina.

My pair of 2x macro teleconverters look to be more different than I'd expect from a rebrand, but I've not looked at them side by side. One is a Teleplus but can't remember the other brand. IIRC the clubman model I had was a 3x macro TC, which was obviously very different.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

I think it originated as Kiron There is a Kiron MC7 2x teleconverter. The Vivitar ads a Helicoid to that. Later Tokina also used the formula. Vivitar had relations with both Kino and Tokina so I guess either could have made it, but it doesn't have the tell tale silver ring with red dot Tokinas have at the mount. So my guess is Kino.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter-made in M42? Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter-made in M42? (incase the title is cutoff)

I've searched on eBay, but then went onto Google images for a broader search, but couldn't find anything. Wondering if there's a simple answer. All I've found are bayonet-mount versions. I know you can break out the DIY work and put whatever mount on it, but it would be convenient to use with an M42 slim adapter. Panagor's came in M42 but it was internal focus.

I don't remember ever seeing this macro tele converter (or any of its clones) in M42 either.

However... the Panagor equivalent certainly was made in M42 screw:

https://www.photographyobsession.co.uk/gallery3/photo-equip/panagor

Note, though, that this one is for macro only and doesn't focus to infinity. If you're using the helicoid for something else that may not matter. The feel of the focusing action isn't nearly as smooth as the Vivitar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be wanting to use this as a helicoid for a lens, and to my knowledge the Panagor is internal focus.

This means I can't use it- like the Vivitar / Kenko Teleplus everyone is familiar with.

Now, that being said, I'm sure I could figure out how to connect a lens to the internal part.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
I'll be wanting to use this as a helicoid for a lens, and to my knowledge the Panagor is internal focus.

This means I can't use it- like the Vivitar / Kenko Teleplus everyone is familiar with.

Now, that being said, I'm sure I could figure out how to connect a lens to the internal part.

Yes, you're right - it is internal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this Pentax helicoid?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403583833501

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to destroy these converters for that. There is plenty of focussing helicoids for m42 on Ali in different sizes: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32813001672.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heritagecameras wrote:

That is probably not original Pentax is the Pentax is called "Variable Close-Up Ring"

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=41205

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an addition, from the looks of things you could only use narrow 16mm projection lenses where the teleconverter glass would go.

I'm not sure if anyone's done this, but you could disassemble it further and see if you can remove the whole internals. Then see how the narrow middle part attaches to the outer helicoid.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
heritagecameras wrote:

That is probably not original Pentax is the Pentax is called "Variable Close-Up Ring"

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=41205

Two versions according to this page:

http://takumar.weebly.com/macro-accessories.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
No need to destroy these converters for that. There is plenty of focussing helicoids for m42 on Ali in different sizes: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32813001672.html

Who wants to use an old teleconverter? Yes I know it's good, but the value in a quality, non-rotating helicoid is even higher. Those new ones are shite quality for the money.

The price of one of these new would be very expensive. And I would understand this POV more if they weren't extremely common.

If that's an argument you can't stomach, then you can atleast appreciate that I have a need for the non-rotating feature-

I'm going to use this with an enlarger lens. Stopping it down would throw the focus off with a rotating helicoid. This discounts the m42 aliexpress one and the Pentax Variable Close-up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you wanted to use most vintage lenses with a quality teleconverter I would just adapt them to EF. No it is not the same as a focusable teleconverter and you'd need extension tubes, but the quality would be there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No just don't destroy them I forbid it. You are canceled

Last edited by D1N0 on Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not destroying them. They are being disassembled with the proper tools, and I aim for all my work to be reversible.

A modification that's reversible is the sort of thing that's worth recommending to people and posting about, because it's more accessible. So for instance removing the part which connects the helicoid to the inner teleconverter optics and seeing if I could attach a wider opening instead.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt the following people made macro-focusing teleconverters:

(Vivitar rebrand?)

(Kenko teleplus rebrand?)

(their own, interesting, creation)

(Makinon rebrand methinks)