Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 200mm Shoot out..Lens Wide Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 200mm Shoot out..Lens Wide Open Reply with quote

From this morning...

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Tokina made T4 with tripod mount.

Vivitar Bright Band 200mm f/3.5 Missed the focus on this one.

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 T4 without tripod mount.

Vivitar Series 1 200mm f/3.0.

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Komine with rubber focus grip.

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Kiron with metal focus grip.

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Komine with metal focus grip.

More still to come.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all look good, but the thing that I notice is that the F3 isn't 200mm. In fact they all seem to vary.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the shots look over or under exposed...did you bracket the shots with each lens?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha! I see here the metal Komine has better sharpness than the Vivitar S1 wide open. How about S1 at f/3.5?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more like an exposure and focus difference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too early to tell anything. I had read once where it was said that the Series 1 was actually faster than f/3. I wonder if this overexposure lends credibility to that claim. I've never been a fan of full open comparisons when the lenses are of different apertures; I favor starting where they are all in common. The Series 1 is only usable wide open in certain situations, although Dawg's picture seems to display less CA than mine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Komine with rubber focus grip seems the sharpest here, with more contrast than the rest. My prediction is holding well so far Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to mount a Series 1 f3 and the Komine f3.5 and a few other 200mm lenses,then post the shots.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
I'll have to mount a Series 1 f3 and the Komine f3.5 and a few other 200mm lenses,then post the shots.

Sorry you do not like mine.These were shot in Aperture priority except the 200mm f/3 because all but the 200 f/3 are screw mount. The f/3 is a K mount and the green hyper manual button was used with it as well as manual mode. I did not shoot these with the exact same settings but rather let the camera do it for me. Call me lazy but this is the way I would have shot them if out shooting photos with them, I set this up with the tripod at 10 feet distance from the subject to assure all would be within focus range and then left the tripod at the very same distance and just changed out the lens. I did change the focus each time I shot a photo and used the 2 second timer to get mirror lock plus it keeps my shaky hands off of it.

Processing was done the same to all of these. Some sharpening as an action in photoshop to assure they each recieved the exact same amount. [/list]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
They all look good, but the thing that I notice is that the F3 isn't 200mm. In fact they all seem to vary.

Really do not know what you mean here as all are 200mm lens and the same tripod distance from the subject. These were shot in the shade and the only thing that may change is the exact tripod rotation either up or down or side to side as I did have to screw and unscrew each of these and accomplish this all in a half hour's time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 200mm t4 and a "bright band" version and they both exhibit more CA wide open than any of these shots. I have a tokina version of the S1 tele zoom too that gives a lot of CA too. I'm starting to wonder if the m43 sensor in my g1 causes extra CA compared to other sensors? My 350d seems to have less CA with these lenses. It's strange because there are some lenses that are fine on my g1 such as the viv 75-205mm and Tamron 103a which only a little CA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
I have a 200mm t4 and a "bright band" version and they both exhibit more CA wide open than any of these shots. I have a tokina version of the S1 tele zoom too that gives a lot of CA too. I'm starting to wonder if the m43 sensor in my g1 causes extra CA compared to other sensors? My 350d seems to have less CA with these lenses. It's strange because there are some lenses that are fine on my g1 such as the viv 75-205mm and Tamron 103a which only a little CA

No pains were taken to avoid CA or flair while shooting these. My Tokina made S1 70-210 exibits only minor CA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm saying is you peaked my interest...You're doing fine and it's not about not liking what your doing....I have the Komine with the rubber grip and have been impressed with it's IQ very much....not that I usually do shootouts with my lenses...but now I'm curious how the copies I have will fare....but I need to finish some projects...so I'll be to busy to do any shooting....

Big Dawg wrote:
Boomer Depp wrote:

Sorry you do not like mine.These were shot in Aperture priority except the 200mm f/3 because all but the 200 f/3 are screw mount. The f/3 is a K mount and the green hyper manual button was used with it as well as manual mode. I did not shoot these with the exact same settings but rather let the camera do it for me. Call me lazy but this is the way I would have shot them if out shooting photos with them, I set this up with the tripod at 10 feet distance from the subject to assure all would be within focus range and then left the tripod at the very same distance and just changed out the lens. I did change the focus each time I shot a photo and used the 2 second timer to get mirror lock plus it keeps my shaky hands off of it.

Processing was done the same to all of these. Some sharpening as an action in photoshop to assure they each recieved the exact same amount. [/list]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
fatdeeman wrote:

No pains were taken to avoid CA or flair while shooting these. My Tokina made S1 70-210 exibits only minor CA.

Hmm I've had three of the Tokina's and they had all had bad CA, I just today got the Kiron version and it seems much better.

I think I'll have to try them on my 350d to see if there's something about the G1 that brings out the worst in some lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
All I'm saying is you peaked my interest...You're doing fine and it's not about not liking what your doing....I have the Komine with the rubber grip and have been impressed with it's IQ very much....not that I usually do shootouts with my lenses...but now I'm curious how the copies I have will fare....but I need to finish some projects...so I'll be to busy to do any shooting....

Big Dawg wrote:
Boomer Depp wrote:

I apologize then my friend as I thought you were just unhappy with the method I was using. My fault and not yours. I shot some more and will post them tonight. Shot at f/8 and f/11 and in manual mode with the exact settings in shutter speed for all of them. Hope these and their crops please folks a little better.
I look forward to any comparison photos you may post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
fatdeeman wrote:

Hmm I've had three of the Tokina's and they had all had bad CA, I just today got the Kiron version and it seems much better.

I think I'll have to try them on my 350d to see if there's something about the G1 that brings out the worst in some lenses.

With my K10d and it's CCD sensor I experience more CA than I'm getting with my K7.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to go along with what I have found then, It's not all lenses but some produce noticeably more CA on the G1 than they do on the 350D

Perhaps it's the difference between CMOS/CCD or any coatings applied to the anti moire filter or the anti dust filter.

Perhaps it is just the fact that the lens has such a wider image circle compared to the sensor, I have seen some adapters with baffles built in.

I think I will create a topic dedicated to the subject.

I like the G1 a lot but it seems to have as many shortfalls as it does benefits, noise being one of the main concerns.

I will be interested to see what the higher end Sony mirrorless cam is like when it's released, I would love a Canon version but they seem reluctant to announce one. I would even buy a Nikon if it had a decent low noise APS-C sensor. I have to assume the Canon version at least would result in less CA with some of my lenses.

I appreciate the comments mate, it's nice to know you're not the only one that has noticed something!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
This seems to go along with what I have found then, It's not all lenses but some produce noticeably more CA on the G1 than they do on the 350D

Perhaps it's the difference between CMOS/CCD or any coatings applied to the anti moire filter or the anti dust filter.

Perhaps it is just the fact that the lens has such a wider image circle compared to the sensor, I have seen some adapters with baffles built in.

I think I will create a topic dedicated to the subject.

I like the G1 a lot but it seems to have as many shortfalls as it does benefits, noise being one of the main concerns.

I will be interested to see what the higher end Sony mirrorless cam is like when it's released, I would love a Canon version but they seem reluctant to announce one. I would even buy a Nikon if it had a decent low noise APS-C sensor. I have to assume the Canon version at least would result in less CA with some of my lenses.

I appreciate the comments mate, it's nice to know you're not the only one that has noticed something!

Also with the K10D the colors were smeared instead of being sharp especially reds and yellows. The K7 does a much better job there as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent useful tests. Thank you much.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Excellent useful tests. Thank you much.

You are very welcome.