Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 200mm shoot out....f/8 & f/11 with crops
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Hey Boomer, I think Dawg meant that as a pun when he said "drive carefully". But sleeping on site for months - jeesh, that can get old real quick. At least take a camera; must be some interesting picture opportunities. And be safe.

Yes the "pun" was intended but either way Drive Carefully my friend.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great test BD. Now I don't have to buy an S1. I will look for a Kiron though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
This is a great test BD. Now I don't have to buy an S1. I will look for a Kiron though.

That one surprised us all Martin.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Boomer, sometimes you just have to say NO. I did & now am enjoying a real retirement.

I took an early retired after 32 years, started my own consulting business & operated that for ten years then shut it down. I then got asked to run some high pressure projects, did a few & then said no more. I still have nightmares of being back working.

Time to take it easy buddy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if Dawg meant driving or pile driving...There can be some danger involved....but I'm more of a conductor who orchestrates the project and seeing to the men's needs,and make sure the proper precautions are taken at the most dangerous moments.

Yes indeed,it sucks sleeping on the rig,the bunks aren't quite as comfy as our beds at home...but the food is excellent on the rig and the deck engineer's who cook,are well versed in the finest culinary skills on par with the best chef's in world....but we all look forward to our time off for some personal quite times with our wives and families....usually it's like a honeymoon for Linda and I when just the two of us take off for a nice quiet vacation.

We take lots of pictures on the job,since it's part of documenting the work...usually that's the job of one of the younger civil engineers or summer interns,but most all of us have our cameras and take personal pix as well.

http://www.mansonconstruction.com/index.html

I understand where your coming from Ron....I usually get my time off with Linda and have taken 23 summers off for three to five months in 38 years....but I'm indeed ready to hang the spurs up for good in this trade and do something totally different...been thinking about going back to school...probably medical school at the University of Washington and finish my years as a quiet country doctor....runs in our family blood,my dad retired finally at 76 after retiring the first time when he was 56...the same with my grandfathers on both sides of the family,both retired early and started second careers and worked into there 80's....but the family and I do enjoy taking time off to pursue our other passions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooltouch and Dawg: Didn't get to the 200mm S1 and f/3.5 shoot this weekend, sorry. Dedicated Saturday to getting one picture, then had a rainy day yesterday. Saturday was tough enough with the heat and humidity, but Sunday was the worst. I had to leave my lens outside for about a half hour to acclimate, then the light wasn't good enough anyway. Lens fogging has been a problem this summer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the lens fogging. Bad enough here but that close on the bay it must be really bad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
I'm indeed ready to hang the spurs up for good in this trade and do something totally different...been thinking about going back to school...probably medical school at the University of Washington and finish my years as a quiet country doctor....runs in our family blood,my dad retired finally at 76 after retiring the first time when he was 56...the same with my grandfathers on both sides of the family,both retired early and started second careers and worked into there 80's....

Best of luck with your pursuits, Boomer. My step-dad was a surgeon and didn't finally retire until he was about 88 or so. He lived to 92. Seems like most physicians I've known never hang it up once they reach "retirement age."