Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 200mm Series 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix: Are you experiencing much CA?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. But mostly because I was lucky with the available light I think ;
I had to Look after sample (water) for you :

(n°5 also)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon Camera? I do see some purple on the duck at the water's edge along the bottom. Your sensor might handle it well too.

I took several pictures of this Pelican sitting on a boat's chromed railing. I fully expected to get CA along the chrome, but it surprised me that there was only a small amount in the shadow just under the bird.

Last edited by woodrim on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in awe of your Pelican !
My cup of envy runneth over.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Luis. Very kind. No pelicans in San Francisco?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, we have plenty of Pelicans. But I have not found out where they sit down and can be approached for a close-up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Shem Creek which is where the fishing and shrimping boats dock. There is a long dock that runs a length and the seagulls and penguins like to perch on the pilings, boats, masts, and sit in the water and cruise the creek. They seem to get used to people walking the dock, so they don't scare unless you move directly at them. Also, my lens was a 200mm, so that closes a good deal of distance (wait until the 300mm arrives). I'd suggest you find a commercial fishing dock as the birds love to hang around the boats that have fish. There were times I couldn't get the entire head of the Pelican in the frame...

Last edited by woodrim on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Canon Camera? I do see some purple on the duck at the water's edge along the bottom. Your sensor might handle it well too.

While with the old CCD-sensors blooming was an issue, all the purple fringing in today's cameras is entirely created by the lens. Some have claimed that the microlenses could also be a culprit, but so far there is zero evidence for this, making it more a myth than anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my SONY A200 is CCD, so I suppose there lies the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Oh yes, we have plenty of Pelicans. But I have not found out where they sit down and can be approached for a close-up.

I had pretty good luck taking photos of pelicans a ways down south of you -- down in Morro Bay, Avila, Cayucos. Sometimes they'd hang out on the piers and wouldn't care much when I walked to within mid-telephoto distance.

Of course, there's also always the zoo . . .

*ahem* back on topic. The S1 200/3s in this thread seem to handle CA better than other ones I've seen -- except for maybe Phenix's, which seems more typical of the others.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

I took several pictures of this Pelican sitting on a boat's chromed railing. I fully expected to get CA along the chrome, but it surprised me that there was only a small amount in the shadow just under the bird.

(nice shot) G1 µ4/3 camera (so the lens is a 400mm for me). Yes, the S1 200/3 seems to handle CA pretty well - Not perfect.
Here's a lens diagram ; If anaybody has a better picture, please...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this favorite 200mm out again on Tuesday for a Dyxum challenge as I mentioned in another post. When I first got this lens, only my second M42, I had a hard time focusing well on stationary subjects. On Tuesday I nailed focus on a bird, but a fair amount of luck involved. I've had an M42 version of this lens for sale since December in the Marketplace and am now accepting reasonable offers.

Into the sun

Last edited by woodrim on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to sell my second M42 copy of this lens. Have it listed in the marketplace for a while. I have my eyes on another lens, but can't justify it without selling something else first. Am I allowed to say that in this forum? Or is it a squirrely thing to do? Price is down to $150. Missing the rubber grip.

Last edited by woodrim on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reviving this older thread to show some new results from this wonderful old lens. I've noticed that my hosting site, pbase, has done something with their compression which has degraded the earlier pictures. I'll have to go back and edit my posts to substitute the original images for those compressed ones. But now I'm sharing some new photos taken with the Sony NEX-5N. While I have a love/hate relationship with the camera itself, I cannot complain about the image quality. Focusing has become so much easier with the peaking and zoom features.

I wasn't sure what to expect when using the Series 1 200/3 on the NEX, but I'm seeing a wondeful match; the Vivitar seems to shine with the NEX sensor. An added benefit of the NEX is a feature that controls CA. I wasn't immediately aware of it until I started seeing results pretty much free from CA. This lens is notorious for blue fringing, but it's nearly absent with the NEX. In the past I've had a very low success rate with focusing due to an extremely narrow DOF, but I seem to be hitting it well now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many great shoots! I had much less luck with this lens Sad Mine had cold colors I sold it after test.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good but not better than other cheaper but good 200s like the Pentacon 4/200 or Soligor 3.5/200.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my SMC Takumar 200 f4 out today, the first time I've used it for ages. 200 is a great length on the NEX, hand held shots are possible, although I use a monopod a lot.
I like the look of that Vivitar, it's a decent speed as well. Those are some very impressive results from the lens, and the photographer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots woodrim !

#1 is the most interesting. Nice composition and use of isolation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the last set of shots, it seems to work very well on the Nex. Great bokeh.

Ian, my Soligor 200/3.5 is a great lens but suffers purple fringing, wonder if it's the same model (Tokina made, fixed mount auto).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots!Looks as if the NEX handles the lens quite well Woodrim.Still one of my favorite 200mm lenses and my wife's favorite flower lens.My daughter picked up a used Canon 50D and her (my old) Nikon mount version of this lens,has become a favorite of hers for portraits.The 50D's sensor handles this lens fairly well,but the NEX looks like it handles the lens equally well if not better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, almost everyone. Attila: I know where your heart is in terms of lens brands, but I'll bet the lens would surprise you on your NEX. However, not having had experience with other NEX cameras, I can't say if the CA control exists in other models. That, BTW, is the single biggest surprise to me - all of my lenses are performing virtually CA free. This 200mm is known for severe CA and yet the worst I've gotten is the little bit seen at the Egrit's feet around the white bird crap.

Lloyd and Lluis: Thanks for comments. Luis, I know you appreciate seagulls. Lloyd, you'll be posting the Takumar shots, I presume.

Boomer: Good to see you back on the forum. I know you've had great success with this lens. I can't say enough good things about the lens/sensor combination. I must say that although I prefer optical viewfinder, this NEX with focusing aids is resulting in about a 95% success rate vs. about 15% before. The zoom-in feature makes it very obvious how precise the focus needs to be and how easy it is to just miss.

Ian: Ehh, never mind. Hope you had a good weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have right , Nex perform way better with many lens what I didn't like before.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is becoming as much an endorsement of the NEX-5N as it is the lens. While the lens performed very well for me on my Sony A200, I experienced the same as most other people in that at fully open - f/3, the lens was soft and in bright light it had a glow around whites and the CA was of course more evident. Since I'm getting better performance from the NEX sensor, today I tried some wide open shots outside to see what I'd get. It's amazing what this sensor does for this lens. This is a 100% crop shot fully open:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenses do perform well on the NEX. I have a NEX-3, so different sensor to woodrim's, but probably similar in terms of design of the sensor, aa filter, microlenses etc.

Soft and CA wide open isn't something I'd expect to change though as I had soft and CA prone results with a Vivitar Series 1 2.3/135 (the little brother of this 3.3/200) on my NEX.

Obviously, the issues I had were due to the lens more than the camera, but it's got me wondering, if woodrim sees a noticeable improvement in wide open performance with his 200 on his NEX-5N, that this newer Sony 16mp sensor has some interesting enhancements over the old 14mp in the NEX-3?

If so, might persuade me to upgrade to a newer NEX sooner than I might.

Anyone owned both a 14mp NEX (3, 5) and now a 16mp one? If so, have you noticed such a difference in IQ?

If I still had that 2.3/135 be interesting to try it on a newer 16mp NEX and see if there was a difference, although it's perhaps not that valid to use a lens that was less than stellar? I still think that copy I had was unusually poor compared to others and probably something of an anomaly.

My favourite 135 and 200 lenses ofr my NEX-3 are actually my Topcors - RE Auto 3.5/135 and RE Auto 5.6/200. The 200 is very small and light for a 200 and I find it much easier to handhold than my Konica Hexanon 3.5/200 or Zoom-Hexanon UC 3.5/80-200 which are as good as the Topcor 5.6/200 in IQ but are not so easy to handhold.

Topcor 5.6/200, I know woodrim is interested in Topcors so not totally off-topic Smile