Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Renting you MF lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you rent your lenses?
Yes, why not?
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Only if the payment is good
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Only if the payment is good and it is not one of my precious ones
38%
 38%  [ 8 ]
No way!
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Renting you MF lenses? Reply with quote

Hi, I had an interesting offer for my not-yet arrived lenses, I wanted to share with you and take your own thoughts about it.
From a Turkish photography forum I had the offer as a private message, and I've sent my lens list, they said that they want fast lenses and will use them on shooting video, especially in music clips.
They're interested in.
- Tamron Adaptall-2 28/2.5 (Rollei QBM) (will come from UK at the end of this month, 16GBP)
- Rollei 128/2.8 (will come from Germany, 60 Euro)

I've checked their site, they have very famous Turkish musicians in their portfolio. Is this a safe bet? Should I try this if they offer a reasonable payment?

As I'm planning buying a not so cheap used Canon 5D, this income can be handy or can be used in purchasing new Contax and Rolleis, like most of you I can't stop my hunger for new lenses Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for No 3, if by "precious" you mean lenses you can't replace. I'd also want a returnable deposit more than enough to cover the cost of buying replacements in case they don't return them or cause any damage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I voted for No 3, if by "precious" you mean lenses you can't replace. I'd also want a returnable deposit more than enough to cover the cost of buying replacements in case they don't return them or cause any damage.

I agree. I think that's the only safe way to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I voted for No 3, if by "precious" you mean lenses you can't replace.

Exactly Wink

He said that they are paying like 45USD/day (28Euros/day) for AF lenses but as they're using Nikkors with adapters I couldn't get the point of giving price for AF lenses. Anyways he said that I can offer prices as I know my lenses best.

Tamron is not that superb but Rollei 135/2.8 is one of that "precious" ones for me, not expensive but I think that this is not it's "right" value when compared with Contaxs or Leicas.

I have a friend who is working as art director/director in cinema business I will ask and get the market prices from him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
peterqd wrote:
I voted for No 3, if by "precious" you mean lenses you can't replace.

Exactly Wink

He said that they are paying like 45USD/day (28Euros/day) for AF lenses but as they're using Nikkors with adapters I couldn't get the point of giving price for AF lenses. Anyways he said that I can offer prices as I know my lenses best.

Tamron is not that superb but Rollei 135/2.8 is one of that "precious" ones for me, not expensive but I think that this is not it's "right" value when compared with Contaxs or Leicas.

I have a friend who is working as art director/director in cinema business I will ask and get the market prices from him.

Yes, "precious" isn't the same as "valuable". A photograph of someone you love has very little value but is extremely precious. That's why I qualified my answer.

$45 a day per lens could add up to a nice sum Razz Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "no way" only because i don't have too many mf lenses and certainly no precious ones. Yet Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange idea , I don't think so you will get any payment, might be first will be final. Who that silly rent a lens and pay daily the purchase price ? I believe in cheaters and not believe in "too nice offers" Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems they would be better off just hiring a photographer when they need photos done. That way the equipment comes free Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of you for these great feedbacks Wink
I'm not a business man so I can2t hold myself and guide people in the direction that they can have cost-effective stuff in purchasing lenses, cameras, computers etc.

These guys are not a high budget firm so they want to finish their projects in a cost-effective way. In Turkey camera related new stuff is really expensive, far beyond an USA resident's imagination Smile Fast modern AF lenses? They are really expensive!
Let me give you some examples, comparable to my Rollei 135/2.8:
- SONY SAL-135F28 135 mm F2.8 : 1900USD
- Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM . 1770USD

Considering these prices, renting makes sense.
They don't have much info about MF lenses but they do know the Zeiss and Nikkor reputation. I offered them helping in finding nice and cost effective fast primes (expecting nothing in return) before renting other's MF lenses and also stated that for a one day renting price they can also buy a sample of my Tamron 28/2.5, I'm far too honest Smile

And in Turkey everything is very different than USA cause people are very different than Americans Smile We always think optimistic and don't expect bad things from others but this is a real word and there are always rotten eggs out there Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One precious Russian 16mm cine zoom lens. Very cinematic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin,

some polls now and then are nice. But I don't think there's need to launch a new poll at almost every thread. Just my opinion anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
yalcinaydin,

some polls now and then are nice. But I don't think there's need to launch a new poll at almost every thread. Just my opinion anyway.

Ok, sorry for the misuse of poll feauture Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:

Ok, sorry for the misuse of poll feauture Embarassed

No problem. Smile
It's just that if for every topic there is a poll, the feature starts to lose sense.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Yalcin AYDIN;

Where d'you get all that stuff in your signature in TURKEY? Ordered all from ebay? I'd really want to talk to you about how to purchase lenses from Turkey.. I'm having issues with paypal and such.. Maybe you know better ways..

Selamlar,
Omer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:
To Yalcin AYDIN;

Where d'you get all that stuff in your signature in TURKEY? Ordered all from ebay? I'd really want to talk to you about how to purchase lenses from Turkey.. I'm having issues with paypal and such.. Maybe you know better ways..

Selamlar,
Omer

Don't even bother buying from Turkey as the prices are silly for crap quality lenses they want lot's of money. For a dirty Tamron Adaptall 100/2.8 they want 80USD, and 100-125USD for a Tamy 80-210/3.8-4! I'm using just ebay and personal purchased from MFlenses forum. I'm selling adapters on fotokritik forum, don't forget to check it Smile
I didn't have any problems with paypal, I've done more than 1.5K USD, just flawless. You can mail me: yalcinaydin, gmail Wink