Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Advice - Yashinon DS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Lens Advice - Yashinon DS Reply with quote

I have my eye on the Yashinon-DS 50/2 lens here: Click here to see on Ebay. Would this be an okay choice for a 50mm lens if the price stays low?

I see the Yashinon-DS 50/1.9 is reviewed here on the Forum as very sharp. I wonder if this 50/2 is built on the same plan?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have both of them and would reckon to my eyes they are about the same, nice and sharp, good colour and contrast, and very well put together.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/yashica/yashica_yashinon/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add they are both auto only lenses, so if your adapter wont accomodate the push pin you'll have to disable it in some way (Duck tape or cyano glue maybe) to make it pre-set otherwise the lens is always wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Forgot to add they are both auto only lenses, so if your adapter wont accomodate the push pin you'll have to disable it in some way (Duck tape or cyano glue maybe) to make it pre-set otherwise the lens is always wide open.

Yes, I understood that. I appreciate the heads-up, Poolhall! I will bid on this - try for a low price. If it works, great! If not, that's okay, another one will turn up again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/yashica/yashica_yashinon/

Thanks Attila. I had already read the review and viewed the gallery. Thank you for getting the link to me though!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your very welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I have the yashica ML 1.7/50 and think it is fantastic. Its as good as my canon L glass that I paid in the thousands for. I got mine for less than $20.00 thanks to Andy. Have you thought of looking at the ML 1.7/50?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
Larry, I have the yashica ML 1.7/50 and think it is fantastic. Its as good as my canon L glass that I paid in the thousands for. I got mine for less than $20.00 thanks to Andy. Have you thought of looking at the ML 1.7/50?

I had not thought of it. This sounds promising! In the main, I would like another 50mm lens, apart from the Industar that I already have, mainly for just a little faster speed when I feel I could use that extra f:stop or two.

I really like that your ML 1.7/50 is a proven performer in your eyes. That sounds to me like maybe the way to go, since it would get me a tiny bit more speed than the 2/50...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry the Yashica ML is C/Y mount (in case you don't know)
If you need M42 it's not viable option

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Larry the Yashica ML is C/Y mount (in case you don't know)
If you need M42 it's not viable option

Wow! THANKS for catching that. Here I was just assuming M42 mount...GREAT that you thought of this Orio. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Larry, didn't know you needed m42 mount.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DS-M (muli-coat) 1.7/50 and 1.4/50 are near twins of the early versions of their ML counterparts. Both are M42 Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DS-M 50/1.4 is very interesting, but sligth CA is typical for this lens, esp. in connection with highlights (don't ask me why Smile ). Anyway, it's very good lens. It has neutral colours due to stable optical glue, which isn't affected by radioactivity (unlike Takumars or some older Yashinons):

a one full-resolution test shot: