Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair-11 or Tair-11A?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Tair-11 or Tair-11A? Reply with quote

For the same price, which to choose? Who performs better?
To be used on DSLR, Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are pretty different lens for artistic pictures I vote old silver finish Tair-11. Tair-11A is a modern contrasty sharp lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your gallery, I feel Tair-11 is better, too. Since those pictures came from different scence, it is really hard to compare.

BTW, doyou have one for sale.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I don't have any on sale.Might be I sell my old one if you willing to pay higher price than average I won't sell this old beauty on low price.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several things to just keep in mind. The tair 11 is a zenit m39 mount while the 11A is m42. They have slightly different register distances (about .3mm) but it is often enough to throw off infinity focus, at least on my zenit B. I can't really speak about the qualities of the 11 but despite what Attila said, and this obviously can just be my copy, the 11A does not have high contrast. I've heard many others make similar comments. But it is surprisingly sharp. It gives a wavy bokeh when wide open and the 20 blade aperture gives beautiful circular highlights when stopped down.

~Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tair 11A has T-Mount I saw already with Nikon, M42 and M39 mount. Tair-11 133mm f2.8 has M39 mount only. They are all lovely lens I suggest to take both.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both expensive, or not cheap nowadays. At least higher than Jena, Meyer, and Takumar.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is depend , but not too high.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both. My two best lenses Smile Silver version doesn't quite focus infinity on K100D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Both lenses are great, I don't see any difference in pictures. 11A is recommended because possible infinity focus problems with 11.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Infinity Focus Question Reply with quote

I've got the Tair 11 (silver) and I use it on an EOS body. I feel that I get infinity focus, but how do I confirm? I know this is a dumb question, but I usually (OK always) use this as a portrait-type lens and assumed infinity focus. Is the obvious answer to turn the barrel all the way to it's stop and pixel peep? I can focus on something 100' or so away and I get good focus and I'm awfully close to the end of the rotaion. Should I take a picture at both and compare?

I went with the Tair 11 as I was trying to get the "look" of my Helios-40 with a longer focal length. I'm very happy with my lens although I've not had the chance to use it as much as I'd like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I went with the Tair 11 as I was trying to get the "look" of my Helios-40 with a longer focal length.

Has the lens meet with your expectations in that sense? I'm curious only for the fact that they follow very different lens designs (sonnar-tair vs. double gauss-helios) and this often dictates at least some of their characteristics.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Tair 11 performance Reply with quote

I'm very happy with the lens. I've not been able to match the extreme bokeh of the old Helios but I've not really tried. I'm still learning the ins and outs of my Helios and have yet to get the bokeh effects the Helios is known for on every shot. I am getting closer though. I expect my Tair to come with a learning curve too.

Research on the net and comparisons of photos others had taken made me believe that the Tair 11 would come closer the the Helios bokeh than the 11A and it would be my better choice. The price was excellent (less than $50) so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've got the Canon 135L, so I wasn't after a sharp lens; I was after one with different effects.

At lunch time I plan on taking my camera, lens, tripod, etc to do an informal test for infinity focus. I'll bring my most willing subjects, my dogs, and test for bokeh.

FWIW, I took a picture with an Olympus 50mm 1.4 that had this astounding, unusual bokeh. I struggled to duplicate it and I began searching the web for answers. I didn't get a good answer, but I learned about the Helios as part of my research; the effect was startlingly similar. I love the look for certain subjects and want the ability to duplicate it as needed. I'm still learning but as I do this as a hobby, it's taken me a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a very quick test for infinity focusing a few minutes ago. The basics:
EOS 5D, iso 200, tripod & cable release Tair 11, F 8.0 Conditions were overcast. I shot RAW.

It appears that I may indeed have difficulty with infinity focus. It only becomes visable between 300 & 400% blow-up and at smaller magnifications is undetectable on my laptop. My 50 year old eyes could also contribute.

I'll run a better/more accurate test later this week after I figure out exactly how I want to do it. At that time I'll attach the photos for those that are interested. Sorry for the statement that I made concerning infinity focus. For my photography it's not an issue, for others it may be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the moleman - I didn't run a bokeh test. I'll try that later in the week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:
I went with the Tair 11 as I was trying to get the "look" of my Helios-40 with a longer focal length.

Has the lens meet with your expectations in that sense? I'm curious only for the fact that they follow very different lens designs (sonnar-tair vs. double gauss-helios) and this often dictates at least some of their characteristics.

Tair is sharper and has smoother bokeh. Helios is only sharp at the center (even on a crop camera) and bokeh highlights are oval shaped on the corners. Helios is much faster and perfect for portraits if you place your subject at the center.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very good descriptions of the lenses as I know them too. I love both and each has it's peculiar characteristics as described by the previous posters.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M39 and M42 USSR lenses have the same register distance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
M39 and M42 USSR lenses have the same register distance.

Actually they don't. M42 - 45.5 M39 - 45.2. It is enough to throw off infinity focus, at least on my zenit.

~Marc