Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Focal (K-Mart) 200/4.5 preset - Mystery lens ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Focal (K-Mart) 200/4.5 preset - Mystery lens ? Reply with quote

This is a K-Mart lens (for non-Americans, K-Mart is a cheaper department store chain than Sears), sold under their "Focal" store brand, I think sometime in the early 1970's. In US terms, this would have made it pretty much the cheapest of the cheap.

K-Mart sold many makes of lens under the "Focal" brand, some identifiable like the Tokinas, others not. I have no idea who made this old T2 preset, it does not really resemble any make I know, though it has a passing resemblance to a Komine series, and I may have seen one sold as a Beroflex.

Its quite a conventional design for what it is, basically a simple three-element "wundertute". Some odd things - it focuses closer than most 200mm's of the day (@6 feet/2m), but this is not marked. My Pentax K100D autoexposure requires a +2 EV setting for this across all apertures, which I have not seen before, and I can't see why - the lens is quite clean and unfogged. And the thing does not focus to infinity, which is probably due to an error in quality control. I could probably fix that.

Its actually a very decently sharp lens, if stopped down to 5.6 or so. Unfortunately, it was a foggy and colorless day, and not much of interest other than the birds.

The bird - well, another bird

crop -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right... a suprisingly sharp glass! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good.

There are many T mount lenses of 200mm with f:4.5 and 135mm with f:3.5 and/or f:2.8.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb, it is the sharpest eye bird i have seen from you Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really a surprising lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed this is really a surprise. But I have come to a conclusion. Any lens touched by luisalegria, will turn into gold. He is a master. Look at the other lens he recently resurrected, the high end Biotar 75/1.5 and the low end Triotar 135/4. Both produces magic. So is this Focal lens. Hmmmm.... I think I have a Focal somewhere in my box of junk.

I recently received what seemed to be a better condition (CZ) Jena S(onnar) 135/4 than his Triotar. The images I got from it was not even close to what we can see from luisalegria Triotar post. http://forum.mflenses.com/czj-triotar-135-4-exakta-total-overhaul-t9326.html. In my head, I even toyed with the idea of sending him my Jena S, so that he can touch it Smile Oh well, it's the photographer that took the images. The lens/camera is just an extension of his eyes. I still have a lot to learn.

Hence my conclusion above.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful samples ! I love all of them!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, I have a copy of this lens which is branded "Optomax" . I buyed it on ebay UK for nothing (5€ + p&p) . I made some trials on film which are on the "excellent" side . May be an earlier Cosina production ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the "echo" ...