Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

12mm Tate
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: 12mm Tate Reply with quote

Here are some shots from a lens that has fascinated me ever since I heard about it - CV 12mm f5.6.

I had to go and find a body to use it on, and settled on one made in germany (oops). If you don't intend to buy one of these, I would suggest not picking one up - ever! I have just had a depressing decade birthday and have justified it to myself on those lines.

Anyway here are some shots from one of my favorite locations, Tate Modern gallery.

The first lot were on Velvia 50 - I had intended to use a tripod, which would have made this choice of film less ridiculous, but I was informed that this was not allowed. but also it was a very sunny day which made a almost unusably high DR for this film. Still it was in the camera so I went for it anyway...

1. I actually reduced saturation by 30-40% in all these Velvia shots.

2. Digital version just to compare - FOV and different quality, with the zuiko 18mm on 5d. Despite its unsuitability for this particular task, I still prefer the film version.

4. This was just what I wanted from this film so I printed it - inky blacks and interesting colours.

6. These last two I converted, but there was not much colour in them anyway. I like the way the low DR captured looks in these...

8. Another visit but the same lens/camera. This is Kodak Portra 160 NC - I love this stuff. SO easy to scan and the colours are to me at least spot on. Very sharp images. Less detail than my 5d at A3, but certainly more character (to my eyes).

9. It converts nicely too...

10. Captures a VERY high dynamic range here.

Hope you like them, any thoughts appreciated.-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly excellent, particularly #5&6&10

Whats CV ?

And which German camera ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#6 and 7 are masterpieces.
Sorry I donìt have time to comment more, I just wanted to note down that these are two of the greatest pictures I have seen this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Fantastic. Just really stunning. You have such a great gift doing work with wide angles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
#6 and 7 are masterpieces.
Sorry I donìt have time to comment more, I just wanted to note down that these are two of the greatest pictures I have seen this year.

I couldn't agree more with Orio. #7 is absolutely impressive. And all the set is something that pushes me to going out with a camera soon: it's refreshing, inspiring.. with fewer words DAMN FUCKING GREAT Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding use of wide angle - as ever!
I particularly like #6 but all are inspiring.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice shots.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, you're on a roll! 3,5,6,7 (Gawd, that's a great capture), 8, 9, and10!

Thanks for sharing these,

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing us the potential of the Portra film!.
All of these shots are impressive, I love the DR demo (last one).
Undoubtlely a way to follow...

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the Portra too. I'm hunting for a film I like, I'm still pining for Kodachrome 2.

I can see why Nos 6 & 7 seem to be the favourites, but I really like No. 1. The little figures remind me of a Lowry painting. (wrong gallery though!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer Luis Alegria's question, the CV is Cosina-Voigtlander. The 12mm is an outstanding lens. I had one with the Bessa L at one time, and foolishly sold it. Confused

The images - ROCK SOLID!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the master of the wide angle. I always screw up at those levels. Every sample I see of the CV range of lenses convinces me they are a top flight manufacturer. What a truly awesome set of shots

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice shots,I like all of them

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks very much for your very kind words - much appreciated. The camera was a battered M6 which I covered in electrical tape immediately!!

The CV lenses are the only reason I wanted an m-mount camera - they seem so intriguing and at such a good price point, especially second hand. Some Leica glass is such crazy money...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very nice shots. I especially like the last one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - especially 6 & 10!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 and 7 seems popular....

http://www.godalmingphoto.org/portfolios-dsouthern-011.html

Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of them are simply stunning! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am late to the party!

Again, some fantastic, overwhelming shots!
My favs are 6, 7, 9 and 10.

That's eye candy! Thanks for showing!