Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Porst 35mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Porst 35mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

Today was a dull and drizzly day, so I decided to not go outside for a walk Smile However, I made a photo of my setup and hope you like them.

According to Attila, the Porst was made by Sigma. I'm not sure about that (any useful links?) but it's true that the lens is well built with super smooth focusing and is not rattling at all. Plus, it looks actually very cool on the K20D Cool

At f/1.8:

At f/5.6:

Another one at f/1.8 at the closest focusing setting:

Hope to post more "normal" photos in the next couple of days. You'll probably find them in the Gallery by then.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was blind sorry, I thought Porst 135mm f1.8 Embarassed I don't know who made this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better than my experience with this lens!! Shocked
I think I have to test this lens again!

BTW, your second shot of this set is very good!

Last edited by LucisPictor on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several marketing companies selling a 35/1.8 lens in the late 1970's, including Spiratone, and off-brands like "Formula 5".

This could be the same lens.

Both Vivitar and Soligor had a 35/2 - 35/1.9 lens a couple of years earlier. It may be the same one also.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! impressive lens, I don't see difference between 1.8 & 5.6!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Vivitar ad for theirs - 1974 !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcostin/475124045/sizes/l/

Here's the Vivitar - a Komine

http://www.pbase.com/vid_suspicious/image/78064031

Doesn't look much like yours, but the focusing grip style is easily changed, so who knows.

Also this thread from the "other" manual lens list -

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=7709

Some of those gentlemen are familiar !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Thanks LucisPictor! Maybe you should start with removing the UV filter in front of the lens. I *never* shoot with filters, no matter how old or expensive they are. I don't feel like adding two more glass-air surfaces to the optical path, the picture can only get worse.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Here's a Vivitar ad for theirs - 1974 !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcostin/475124045/sizes/l/

Here's the Vivitar - a Komine

http://www.pbase.com/vid_suspicious/image/78064031

Doesn't look much like yours, but the focusing grip style is easily changed, so who knows.

Also this thread from the "other" manual lens list -

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=7709

Some of those gentlemen are familiar !

Thanks for the VERY useful links. I think that more investigation is needed, however.

In reply to others: I usually do some PP with my pictures. There's no point to use the pictures made with those old lenses as-is, unless you want to get a certain atmosphere. Fact is, many of the lenses are not so contrasty but that's easily corrected in post processing. Also, any unsharpness can be fixed (if it is not too bad) and for this I use unsharp masking three times in a row, each time with different settings.

The 100% crops would look worse, but absolutely usable. But also think there's no point to pixel peep with old lenses, it's the result that counts Smile

For 15 Euros, I certainly won't complain. What can you buy today for only 15 euros? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Thanks LucisPictor! Maybe you should start with removing the UV filter in front of the lens. I *never* shoot with filters, no matter how old or expensive they are. I don't feel like adding two more glass-air surfaces to the optical path, the picture can only get worse.

Of course. This filter has only been used as a protection, not while shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Sorry, I should have known Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Porst 35mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

Congratulations for the lens !

Spotmatic wrote:
...it looks actually very cool on the K20D Cool

Anything looks cool on the K20D Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Sorry, I should have known Smile

No prob. Actually, I sometimes shoot with filters on. If I use an expensive lens in an unpredictable situation and the IQ is not essential, a filter will be on the lens. But if I want to see how well a lens can perform, I remove it. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LucisPictor"][quote="Spotmatic"][quote="LucisPictor"]
Of course. This filter has only been used as a protection, not while shooting.[/quote]

Sorry, I should have known Smile[/quote]

No prob. Actually, I sometimes shoot with filters on. If I use an expensive lens in an unpredictable situation and the IQ is not essential, a filter will be on the lens. But if I want to see how well a lens can perform, I remove it. Smile[/quote]

a TIME AGO, i TESTED MY HEXANON 1,7/50 WITH AND WITHUOT A GOOD FILTER (b&w uv).

WITH FILTER, CENTER 70 PL/MM

Wuthout filter center 90 pl/mm

Few lines, but differences were there.

Rino.