Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Mirror Ultra-Telephoto F8 500mm (pre-XQ)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Sigma Mirror Ultra-Telephoto F8 500mm (pre-XQ) Reply with quote

Sigma (Porst Color) Mirror Ultra-Telephoto F8 500mm:

The lens - show here side-by-side with the Nikkor 8/500mm (II) mirror lens - is huge and heavy (about 1550 g). It is a clone of the corresponding Sigma lens, manufactured for the German retailer Porst. Since it has a T2 (42x0.75mm) instead of the common M42 (42x1mm) thread, I haven't been able to test it yet, and not much information is available online. The lens probably is from the 1960s. Its focus throw is rather "shallow" (270° from infinity to 3m MFD), and its performance might be quite OK given its size.

Anyone has more information, or even has used it before?

S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with that one at all.

Sigma's have been a challenge for me personally.
I can't seem to find any Sigma with clear, un-fungussed glass.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
No experience with that one at all.

Sigma's have been a challenge for me personally.

Agreed - most of their MF lenses I know are not that interesting, to put it mildly. There are some exceptions though, e. g. the Sigma 2.8/24mm "Superwide II" which is a really good vintage 24mm lens. Equally interesting is the Sigma "gamma II" 3.5-4.2/21-35mm superwide which is comparable (but not identical) to the Canon 3.5/20-35mm L.

Many other MF lenses with excellent detail resolution such as the 3.5.4.5/50-200mm APO or the 5.6/400mm APO (or several versions of the 3.5/14mm) have inherent problems with hazing, caused by disintegrating glue used for cementing some doublets. Really a pity!!

S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the same lens badged as Lentar. I've never seen a Sigma badged version personally, and my copy doesn't give any clues that it is made by Sigma. However, when badged as a Prinz lens, it has the distinctive Σ serial number prefix that was only used by Sigma. The also distinctive 40m, 130f longest focus marking before infinity of these copies also shows that the following version with the adjustable aperture stop mechanism which was very widely sold under a massive variety of badges was also a Sigma made lens, although, just as for the earlier version, I haven't located one marked with a Sigma badge, or even an Σ serial preset copy. From that it also appears that the 750mm F/11 lens often sold as a Hanimex badge with the adjustable aperture is also Sigma made. I am also of the opinion that the 250mm F/5.6 lens seen as a Lentar or Hanimex badge is also Sigma, although just due to the similarity of the lens appearance in this case.

My copy of the lens you have, has reasonable IQ, especially compared to a normal third party 500mm F/8 lens from the lates 60s to mid 80s. I don't know how it compares to one from a camera manufacturer as I haven't used any. My best mirror lens is an MTO 500mm, which is slightly better, but the Sigma lens does not disgrace itself.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I have a copy of the same lens badged as Lentar. I've never seen a Sigma badged version personally, and my copy doesn't give any clues that it is made by Sigma. However, when badged as a Prinz lens, it has the distinctive Σ serial number prefix that was only used by Sigma. The also distinctive 40m, 130f longest focus marking before infinity of these copies also shows that the following version with the adjustable aperture stop mechanism which was very widely sold under a massive variety of badges was also a Sigma made lens, although, just as for the earlier version, I haven't located one marked with a Sigma badge, or even an Σ serial preset copy. From that it also appears that the 750mm F/11 lens often sold as a Hanimex badge with the adjustable aperture is also Sigma made. I am also of the opinion that the 250mm F/5.6 lens seen as a Lentar or Hanimex badge is also Sigma, although just due to the similarity of the lens appearance in this case.

My copy of the lens you have, has reasonable IQ, especially compared to a normal third party 500mm F/8 lens from the lates 60s to mid 80s. I don't know how it compares to one from a camera manufacturer as I haven't used any. My best mirror lens is an MTO 500mm, which is slightly better, but the Sigma lens does not disgrace itself.

@ Alun:
Thank you for your reply and the additional information! In fact my lens does have the distincive Σ serial (Σ-68103, that is), the distinctive 40m, 130f longest focus marking, and it and looks exactly as the Sigma branded ones shown in the internet So if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck, it probably is a duck Wink

S