Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax K 3.5/28 vs Zeiss CY 2.8/28 for landscapes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:19 pm    Post subject: Pentax K 3.5/28 vs Zeiss CY 2.8/28 for landscapes Reply with quote

As requested by kiddo, here's a quick comparison of the Pentax K 3.5/28mm vs the Zeiss Distagon CY 2.8/28mm.
It's a tough test since usually I don't recommend using vintage lenses on 50 MP FF cameras - but here you are:

AS USUAL PLEASE CLICK TWICE ON THE IMAGE OR DOWNLOAD IT TO GET THE FULL RESOLUTION!

I think the results speak for themselves. While the Zeiss is very well made (and a joy to use, due to its smooth focusing and well made aperture ring), it's optical performance is pretty much on par with other comparable contemporary 28mm lenses such as the Canon nFD 2.8/28mm, the Konica AR 3.5/28mm [7/7], the Minolta MC/MD 2.8/28mm [7/7], or the Nikkor Ai 2.8/28mm.

S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your test, very valuable!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for clarifying this , it´s impressive how well k version is dealing on high res sensor; if i recall, philipreeve did the test on 24mp sensor, but i assume that shouldn´t make so much difference. Is your zeiss lens the latest version? as i understand these ones should be somehow better than the earlier one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a far more fair test would be to put the pentax up against the nikkor 28 f3.5 A/i, which has some sharpness improvement over the nikkor f2.8. In some cases, a fast lens does not always equate to image quality...

ETA:

I think this is the third mis-matched maximum apertures lenses test I've seen this week. Am I missing something, or is there some specific point to running such tests? Not trying to be mean or rude- I just don't get the point.

-D.S.

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a contax distagon 28mm 2.8. I sold it. I didn't do a side by side test like this, but my olympus OM 28 f2 and vivitar series 1 28mm 1.8 both just seemed better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
thanks for clarifying this , it´s impressive how well k version is dealing on high res sensor; if i recall, philipreeve did the test on 24mp sensor, but i assume that shouldn´t make so much difference. Is your zeiss lens the latest version? as i understand these ones should be somehow better than the earlier one.

I'm often a bit surprised about the differences seen between the same lens @ 24 MP vs @ 50 MP class sensors. I don't know whether there are different optical computations of the CY 2.8/28mm (I suspect not), but there may be differences when it come to coating. Certainly Zeiss themself has published only one Data Sheet / MTF for the CY distagon 2.8/28:
https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/consumer-products/downloads/historical-products/photography/contax-yashica/en/datasheet-zeiss-distagon-2828-en.pdf

Doc Sharptail wrote:

I think this is the third mis-matched maximum apertures lenses test I've seen this week. Am I missing something, or is there some specific point to running such tests? Not trying to be mean or rude- I just don't get the point.

-D.S.

I just was asked by kiddo whether the Pentax K 3.5/28 would be better than the Zeiss CY 2.8/28 - he owns the Zeiss and wants to know if getting a Pentax K would be meaningful. That said, among the Minolta 28mm lenses fo SR mount, the latest MD-III 2/28mm seems to be the best across the range. Sometimes comparing f2.0, f2.8 and f3.5 lenses side-by-side makes sense, especially if (as in this case) the f2.0 version is small and rather lightweight. And it even has floating focusing ...

S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
kiddo wrote:

I'm often a bit surprised about the differences seen between the same lens @ 24 MP vs @ 50 MP class sensors. I don't know whether there are different optical computations of the CY 2.8/28mm (I suspect not), but there may be differences when it come to coating. Certainly Zeiss themself has published only one Data Sheet / MTF for the CY distagon 2.8/28:
https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/consumer-products/downloads/historical-products/photography/contax-yashica/en/datasheet-zeiss-distagon-2828-en.pdf

Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

I just was asked by kiddo whether the Pentax K 3.5/28 would be better than the Zeiss CY 2.8/28 - he owns the Zeiss and wants to know if getting a Pentax K would be meaningful. That said, among the Minolta 28mm lenses fo SR mount, the latest MD-III 2/28mm seems to be the best across the range. Sometimes comparing f2.0, f2.8 and f3.5 lenses side-by-side makes sense, especially if (as in this case) the f2.0 version is small and rather lightweight. And it even has floating focusing ...

S

Thanks for the clarification. some of us don't have a clue.... Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

S

in size and weight, md minolta 28mm f2 it should be lighter, right? do you think this last md computation would give same result as pentax k 3.5?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I had a contax distagon 28mm 2.8. I sold it. I didn't do a side by side test like this, but my olympus OM 28 f2 and vivitar series 1 28mm 1.8 both just seemed better.

Do you have a favorite between the Zuiko and Vivitar?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just jumping in here - I've had both but never at the same time, so I haven't been able to do a side-by-side either, but my impression was the Zuiko had deeper colors and sharper corners stopped down, while the Viv had better microcontrast and of course the very slightly wider max aperture (actually a 1.9). The Viv also tends to vividly colorful flares like crazy, which can be a good or a bad thing, depending on the situation. Both are plenty sharp at the center of the frame.

The Zuiko's probably the better all-arounder, but the Viv is a very fun lens, particularly if you like out-of-the-ordinary looks.

Noritar wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

Do you have a favorite between the Zuiko and Vivitar?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
but the Viv is a very fun

Who doesn't love fun?

I haven't had either but I get the impression the Vivitar would be great for environmental portraits and general close up having fun pics. The unusual flare you mention could be interesting for video. Probably the Zuiko is the one to have, stopped down, on a tripod or for anything technical.

I want both, of course. But I don't buy Zuikos. I can't afford to open that financial can of worms. I already know which ones I want and I missed the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem close optically. The edge might just go to the vivitar. But the oly is much smaller and lighter and I keep several other Oly's in my day to day bag. Simplifies adapter issues so it gets more use.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good contender for the Pentax could be the 5/5 Minolta 3,5 28. Nothing special at 3,5 but interesting afterwards.

Cheap and easy to find.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Zuiko 28mm f2.8 and it's not very good on my Sony A7. On film there are no issues but on the Sony it has very bad edge performance. My Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 on the other hand is much better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
I also have a Zuiko 28mm f2.8 and it's not very good on my Sony A7. On film there are no issues but on the Sony it has very bad edge performance. My Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 on the other hand is much better.

The Zuiko 28/3.5 has very good corner performance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Yeah I saw your test and it seems to be pretty good.

I got the f2.8 version after seeing good film samples and didn't realize that it would be such a big difference on digital.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Yeah I saw your test and it seems to be pretty good.

I got the f2.8 version after seeing good film samples and didn't realize that it would be such a big difference on digital.

Zuiko lenses are a mixed bag if you asked me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensor stack thickness issue? Pretty common on the early Sony FF A7 range.

blotafton wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Sensor stack thickness issue? Pretty common on the early Sony FF A7 range.

blotafton wrote:

Yes probably. More usually an issue with range finder lenses.