Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 50mm f/1.9 in DKL mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 50mm f/1.9 in DKL mount Reply with quote

Got this lens with a nearly destroyed Kodak Retina camera attached at an antique store for $15. The camera went straight into the garbage bin, the lens got attached to my DKL to LM adapter and mounted to the Techart LM-FE autofocus adapter on the A7R II. I was very pleasantly surprised with the sharpness and rendering. This was wide open @ f/1.9.

Timothy by Artem, on Flickr

Last edited by Arutemu on Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use pp? Contrast? Sharpness?
Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Did you use pp? Contrast? Sharpness?
Thanks for sharing

Yes, since I shoot in RAW, the image was processed. Contrast I don't touch, but colors and sharpness I fix to my liking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your image looks very nice. How would you rate this lens compared to other lenses? I have one here that looks shabby and had a stuck aperture. Would like to know if its worth having it repaired.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Your image looks very nice. How would you rate this lens compared to other lenses? I have one here that looks shabby and had a stuck aperture. Would like to know if its worth having it repaired.

I have it in QBM mount and yes, to me, it's worth to repair the lens.
Xenons, Ultrons, Septons, all great lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I have it in QBM mount and yes, to me, it's worth to repair the lens.
Xenons, Ultrons, Septons, all great lenses.

Mine is M42, but I guess that’s the same lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

A professional lens repairman once said that he would have to charge me at least $100 for any repair for it to be worth his time and effort. I found it perfectly reasonable, but it also gave me a useful cost/effectiveness rule and estimate.

Schneider-Kreuznach 50/1.9 cost me $15 and was in near-pristine condition. If it were not, repairing a $15 lens for $100 or thereabouts would make no sense to me. I would rather spend that money buying that same lens in better condition.

That is my rule - unless I come across something exceedingly rare that is worth investing in repairing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arutemu wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

A professional lens repairman once said that he would have to charge me at least $100 for any repair for it to be worth his time and effort. I found it perfectly reasonable, but it also gave me a useful cost/effectiveness rule and estimate.

Schneider-Kreuznach 50/1.9 cost me $15 and was in near-pristine condition. If it were not, repairing a $15 lens for $100 or thereabouts would make no sense to me. I would rather spend that money buying that same lens in better condition.

That is my rule - unless I come across something exceedingly rare that is worth investing in repairing.

Excactly, I bought this lens years ago in rough condition but I didn’t pay much for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can often get Xenon 1.9 in DKL mount for not much money. Watch for kodak instamatic reflex. These used the defunct 126 film cartridges and frequently come on the bay for pretty low. I got one for 40 or so. The DKL mount is great as it is very robust mount and you can purchase adapters for several mounts. I stack the DKL to EF and EF to nex helicoid adapter which solves one of the few problems with the lens, it's long minimum focus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens and like it very much. I find it very sharp with very characterful bokeh. The minimum focus distance is not very short, so I use with a helicoid.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely butterfly images!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great images!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Xenon is an optimized Biotar, 6 lenses in 4 groups. A.W. Tronnier who "invented" the Xenon for Schneider later on optimized it further by splitting the front doublet. This was then the Ultron (6 lenses in 5 groups) as introduced by Voigtländer in the early 1950's.
Generally speaking, almost every lens designed by Tronnier was extraordinary and always amongst the best of it's time. The Ultron design survived until date, the contemporary Sony FE 50/1.8 is still an original Ultron.

Just my 2 cents.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
The Xenon is an optimized Biotar, 6 lenses in 4 groups. A.W. Tronnier who "invented" the Xenon for Schneider later on optimized it further by splitting the front doublet. This was then the Ultron (6 lenses in 5 groups) as introduced by Voigtländer in the early 1950's.
Generally speaking, almost every lens designed by Tronnier was extraordinary and always amongst the best of it's time. The Ultron design survived until date, the contemporary Sony FE 50/1.8 is still an original Ultron.

Just my 2 cents.....
Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Xenon 50/1.9 DKL + Sigma fp

_FP01734_2048px by serkol64, on Flickr

_FP01762___2048px by serkol64, on Flickr

_FP01759 by serkol64, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arutemu, very well done! Both my Rollei 1.8/50 and Exakta 1.9/50 versions do render milkier wide open.

Serguei, what colours with Sigma Fp, a pretty filmic senstion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arutemu, very well done! Both my Rollei 1.8/50 and Exakta 1.9/50 versions do render milkier wide open.

Serguei, what colours with Sigma Fp, a pretty filmic senstion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 50mm f/1.9 in DKL mount Reply with quote

Arutemu wrote:
Got this lens with a nearly destroyed Kodak Retina camera attached at an antique store for $15. The camera went straight into the garbage bin, the lens got attached to my DKL to LM adapter and mounted to the Techart LM-FE autofocus adapter on the A7R II. I was very pleasantly surprised with the sharpness and rendering. This was wide open @ f/1.9.

Timothy by Artem, on Flickr

I'll indulge in some threadomancy... Some more with this lens:

AREX to Incheon by Artem, on Flickr

Night bus by Artem, on Flickr

Rush delivery by Artem, on Flickr

Birding by Artem, on Flickr

Camelatte by Artem, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow very nice results, it seems to be sharoert than Septon, isn't it? Maybe different formula?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lens I always end up coming back to. Just such pleasing rendering, sharpness, and color.

Here's just a quick snap I took of my young nephew the other day. This lens really loves those rich early evening tones!

I adore the Septon, too, but it has a very different look, and it's much more expensive and hard to find a copy without cement separation. This lens can easily be found fr 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the Septon. Look for the version without "Retina" in the name that was sold with the Instamatic Reflex, as it has a much shorter MFD at 2 ft/0.6m but is optically identical. The front barrel is also much less susceptible to dinging than that on the "Retina" version, which is very soft aluminum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice result and so different than Septon, it's weird how these lenses from same time are so different , unfortunately all these fast dkl mount lenses are very sought after, don't remember seeing one for sale for cheap