Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any Robot Lenses worth Using on an A7R2?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Any Robot Lenses worth Using on an A7R2? Reply with quote

The Xenon 40 1.9 Looks like a phenomenol addition to a micro lens kit for travelling. Any thoughts on this or others? What about the Robot Traffic cam lenses that are periodically seen?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any robot royal 36 lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Any Robot Lenses worth Using on an A7R2? Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
The Xenon 40 1.9 Looks like a phenomenol addition to a micro lens kit for travelling. Any thoughts on this or others? What about the Robot Traffic cam lenses that are periodically seen?

I was looking into it for my A7r and was informed it doesn't cover the sensor, so I stopped looking into it, been looking for other options that have a 43.2mm focal length (the sensor diagonal), 40 & 45mm are usually a nominal designation for marketing purposes.

The Minolta/Leica M 40/2 is super small and would fit the "micro size kit for travel" designation, there are a few 40-45mm lenses that are f2.8 to f4.5 and a number of fixed lens RF cameras that have that same range, you do have to liberate the lens from the body.

My Contax G 45/2 is quite nice, sharp wide open, nice bokeh, it's actual focal length is about 46mm or something like that. So I'm still looking for my ideal 42mm, having it transplanted into a Rokkor MC 55/1.7 abandons its clunky screw drive AF for a lovely manual focus ring.

Rollei and Olympus both have a nice little 40 in LTM.

The Pen F 40/1.4(1.2) may be options, the Pen F 38/1.8 is just barely covering the corners of my A7r, vignetting is somewhat strong.
The OM 40/2 is popular and about as expensive as the Minolta/Leica 40/2.

If 35/2.8 is ok, the Canon S in LTM looks great on my A7r, and one of the tiniest lenses I own, their 35/2 has a good reputation, I've been tempted a few times to get it, but a nice 42mm is my main focus of desire these days, I already have a number of lovely 35's and 45's, so the 40/42mm left vacant so to speak.

The Voigtlander 40/1.4 was/is on my radar, it's quite small for f1.4, but so far it's images haven't wowed me enough to get one to try it.

I'll add to the list if I think of other lenses I know I'm missing.
I posted a list a while back http://forum.mflenses.com/40-45mm-for-fe-a7r-to-150-t78891.html#1508819

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Any Robot Lenses worth Using on an A7R2? Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:

There are two main mounts for Robot lenses, 26mm screw mount AKA Robot Star and 31mm interrupted screw mount AKA Robot Royal. There is also a 45mm(?) interrupted screw mount made for the last series of digital lenses, but those are very rarely seen.

The 26mm mount is limiting the image circle on Robot Star lenses, I used to have the 40/1.9 in 26mm screw mount and on my A7 I got vignetting at infinity focus. The Robot Royal mount is a better choice for full frame, in that case the lenses' image circle is the limiting factor:

http://forum.mflenses.com/robot-royal-schneider-tele-xenar-lenses-a-walk-in-the-park-t79023.html

The difference between the Traffic cam lenses and the Royal lenses intended for cameras with viewfinders is AFAIK just the rangefinder coupling - Traffic cam lenses don't have any, and Sony cameras don't need it either.

I use my Royal lenses with an M31/M39 adapter I designed and RafCamera made. These combined with a helicoid Sony E adapter work very well - some Royal lenses have a limited close focus option, so the extra extension is very welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to your post. All I had seen before was this

https://a7camera.com/robot_schneider_xenon_40.htm

The Minolta 28 is a nice option, I had one once opon a time, but at that point small wasn't as important. Its prices have since gotten to nosebleed territory, and with Whitespot disease I have read at least one post that indicates the spots which are salts supposedly etc the coatings....

I picked up a Nikon 35 F2.5 which is a very nice lens but opted to keep the Canon 35 1.8, with an m39 to M adapter and a hellicoid you can get some amazing macro shots. The center open is useable but it takes till about f8 with the canon to get decent corners, again great for its time, but was hoping to find something that's small and gets crisper quicker than F8. The other downside is that I am using the Russian camera mounts for SMount Contax, and frankly they are a pain. I will probably pop for a good one at some point, but need to get other things sorted first.

Thanks for the tips on the traffic cam lenses.

Were robot lenses really made into the 1980s/90s?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot I also posted a few photos with the 26mm diameter 40/1.9:

http://forum.mflenses.com/autumn-colours-with-robot-xenon-40mm-f-1-9-t79963.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
Were robot lenses really made into the 1980s/90s?

I have a couple of Schneider Robot Royal lenses that were made for Traffipax cameras, their serial numbers range from 14.4xx.xxx to 14.9xx.xxx. If the info about serial numbers and production data from the Schneider factory presented here is to be believed, that corresponds to 1991 to 2005 or thereabouts:

https://ground-glass.net/schneider-lenses-age/

I have heard that they switched to the Digitar line of lenses in 45mm interrupted screw when digital traffic cameras were introduced. I don't have any firm data on when that switch occurred, but early 2000s seems about right.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I bought a Robot camera with a 40 and will sell the camera.... Also bidding on a longer Royal lens.... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest made version of the 1.9/40mm are great.

The all chrome Xenon 1.9/40mm is an Ultron design with three single lens elements in the front group.

But the most of this lenses having haze inside.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. Does any company make an adapter for Robot lenses, either star of royal? Searching something called "Robot" and getting useful results is not easy Smile

Regards, C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. Does any company make an adapter for Robot lenses, either star of royal? Searching something called "Robot" and getting useful results is not easy Smile

Regards, C

M39 on back, Royal thread on front:
https://rafcamera.com/adapter-m31x1f-to-m39x1m

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
connloyalist wrote:

Regards, C

Thank you! I see on their website they have stock of this adapter in Belarus. Do we in the EU have trade "issues" with Belarus at the moment?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
connloyalist wrote:

Regards, C

Thank you! I see on their website they have stock of this adapter in Belarus. Do we in the EU have trade "issues" with Belarus at the moment?

Regards, C.

Recently ordered an adapter. It took about 7 weeks to arrive, so keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. They do seem to have a lot of niche adapters that might not be available anywhere else.

Honestly, for me this is mostly a curiosity of various different lenses, brands, mounts, etc. So no rush. When I am not trying out a particular lens I tend to gravitate to the same set of lenses in my collection.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
connloyalist wrote:

Regards, C

Regards, C.

I would send him a message, normally he would answer very quickly, last time I've ordered ,there was availability from Austria , probably depends on each kind of adapter ,but it's worth to ask him first . In my case, the sent the item next day after purchase , only good few days to arrive in Europe DHL