Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss S-Orthoplanar 60mm f/4.0 on Fujifilm GFX 50S II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Zeiss S-Orthoplanar 60mm f/4.0 on Fujifilm GFX 50S II Reply with quote

So how does a lens that supports 32x45 officially handle a 32.9x43.8 sensor? As expected, pretty well. In case of my GFX 50S II, those 50MP do not pose a problem, not even with wide open aperture.

However, I went for a M42 helicoid together with a M42 to GFX adapter to adapt the M32 lens together with an appropriate thread adapter. Fully retracted at infinity and down to a few meters, this yields perfectly fine images. At closer distances however with increased extention of the helicoid, the M42 diameter shows it's limits and causes vignetting like a tunnel, at least in the corners. I am currently biting the bullet to buy everything new again in M58 to prevent this problem.

Haven't hat lots of pretty picture opportunities yet as I own the camera just for a few weeks with fewer leisure time than hoped for. This is one nicely lit scene that I encountered while walking in the woods a few days ago. I will upload more in the next weeks while giving more attention to the aperture in use if you like (think this was either f/4 or f/5.6). This is a OOC, taught this is probably of most interest (the RAW would be edited to taste)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, that'll do another hundred or two hundred megapixels.
love light indeed, btw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss S-Orthoplanar 60mm f/4.0 on Fujifilm GFX 50S II Reply with quote

Christian S. wrote:
So how does a lens that supports 32x45 officially handle a 32.9x43.8 sensor? As expected, pretty well. In case of my GFX 50S II, those 50MP do not pose a problem, not even with wide open aperture.

However, I went for a M42 helicoid together with a M42 to GFX adapter to adapt the M32 lens together with an appropriate thread adapter. Fully retracted at infinity and down to a few meters, this yields perfectly fine images. At closer distances however with increased extention of the helicoid, the M42 diameter shows it's limits and causes vignetting like a tunnel, at least in the corners. I am currently biting the bullet to buy everything new again in M58 to prevent this problem.

Haven't hat lots of pretty picture opportunities yet as I own the camera just for a few weeks with fewer leisure time than hoped for. This is one nicely lit scene that I encountered while walking in the woods a few days ago. I will upload more in the next weeks while giving more attention to the aperture in use if you like (think this was either f/4 or f/5.6). This is a OOC, taught this is probably of most interest (the RAW would be edited to taste)

Very interesting - thanks! Have you compared it to other 60 mm lenses? And does it hold up correction wise at that distance? Should be excellent close up, or at macro distance (reversed). Not sure if it provides anything meaningful to the distance you've shown, but perhaps I'm wrong on that... it's said to be a very good lens for star photography after all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comparison yet with native 60mm lenses. I am waiting and saving up for the upcoming 55mm f/1.7 that is supposed to be released in September. I could mount the Pentax 67 55-100mm f/4.5 that proved to be excellent on the P67, but I a not sure how it would stack up in a comparison when cropped down to the GFX format and sampled with 50MP.

I'll do some close-up shots as well so one gets a better impression of the performance on various distances.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three additional shots from that forest walk to illustrate its rendering, this time developed from RAW. As promised, I will do macro shots next time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another excellent lens this 60mm S-Ortho is! I have it too, aside from its somewhat better brother 4/50mm and of course teh amazing 105mm!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:

@kathala

Hi, I have a question that is not connected to the topic.

about your website: have you made it deliberately like it is (I felt 20y younger looking at it..) very retro and made with ms word(!) ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near-field performance of the 60mm Ortho, still on the M42 setup as the M58 parts have not arrived yet. Hence the extreme darkening of the corners.

Both shots were taken at f/22, heldheld at ISO800.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian S. wrote:
Near-field performance of the 60mm Ortho, still on the M42 setup as the M58 parts have not arrived yet. Hence the extreme darkening of the corners.

Both shots were taken at f/22, heldheld at ISO800.

Thanks a lot for posting these! Two questions, if you don't mind:

1.) Why did you shoot at f/22? I'd personally be way more interested to see it wide open or at f/8 to get a better look at the oof rendering, but I've heard before that I might be among a minority there, when it comes to shooting flowers. 😅

2.) What's the shutter speed of these? It doesn't seem to be visible in the Exif.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback.

I wanted to catch all of the blossoms features in one shot despite its extension into the depth. I noticed that the 60mm seems to suffer less from defraction that I was expecting, which is why I tool shots at f/16 and f/22. The f/22 shots have shutter speeds around 1/80s, I did have to shot some to catch a moment with no impact of wind.

But your suggestions is good, I willdo some more with f/8 and near-field motives to better show of how the bokeh behaves.

BTW, I forgot that the aperture mechanism of the 105mm is not functional which makes my promises for stepped-down images pointless. But I will take near-field.images with it at f/5.6 anyway for the bokeh as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian S. wrote:
Thanks for your feedback.

I wanted to catch all of the blossoms features in one shot despite its extension into the depth. I noticed that the 60mm seems to suffer less from defraction that I was expecting, which is why I tool shots at f/16 and f/22. The f/22 shots have shutter speeds around 1/80s, I did have to shot some to catch a moment with no impact of wind.

But your suggestions is good, I willdo some more with f/8 and near-field motives to better show of how the bokeh behaves.

BTW, I forgot that the aperture mechanism of the 105mm is not functional which makes my promises for stepped-down images pointless. But I will take near-field.images with it at f/5.6 anyway for the bokeh as well.

Thanks! I think you mentioned the detail about the aperture of the 105 mm before - is it stuck or are the blades removed? In the latter case it would be interesting to see if you get some additional light. If I remember correctly the aperture of the 105 mm doesn‘t fully open, so highlights are always slightly pentagonal.

From what I‘ve seen so far it has quite nice looking oof rendering.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 105mm just has a missing link between the aperture assembly and the aperture ring. Indeed, when I received it, the aperture was not fully open. I assumed that this was because someone did stop it down a bit. I used a small screwdriver to fully open it, thinking this would be the "wide-open" condition.

Let's hope we finally get some sun over the next few days here in Germany. I will gladly take some pictures in this condition to show the bokeh of highlights of the 105mm and update the respective thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 105mm I had, had their apertures wide open...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
All 105mm I had, had their apertures wide open...

Are you sure?

kds315* wrote:
A few snaps taken today using the Zeiss S-Orthoplanar f5.6 105mm lens fully open (mounted to my modular large lens focusing system).

In all the sample shots I've seen there's a slight pentagonal shape.

https://flic.kr/p/i3Snbz

Doesn't take anything away from the beautiful rendering though. And I also doubt the prodruding blades have a big impact on the actual aperture value.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check mine but to closer the circle on that topic: the 60mm has to be moved BEYOND the f/4 aperture click to be fully open and this is even visible in the viewfinder by an additional lift in brightness. I will see if it will show straight lines in the bokeh if one does not do so.

Last edited by Christian S. on Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian S. wrote:
I will check mine but to closer the circle on that topic: the 60mm has to be moved BEYOND the f/2.8 aperture click to be fully open and this is even visible in the viewfinder by an additional lift in brightness. I will see if it will show straight lines in the bokeh if one does not do so.

I don't doubt the diaphragm of the 60 mm version does fully open! I think there are even pictures of the lens out there which suggest that. However I'm not sure if the bokeh highlights are fully round there as well... Klaus has shown some incredibly beautiful flower shots with great colors and smooth bokeh here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/zeiss-s-orthoplanar-f4-60mm-does-flowers-t63188.html

However none of those show distinct bokeh highlights, so it's hard to say.

EDIT: I found these two shots, both don't feature clearly round bokeh highlights, but rather pentagonal ones:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/download/file.php?id=709 from this topic
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42258

https://live.staticflickr.com/3244/2931880698_6bf6165425_o.jpg (Full Size)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fluor_doublet/2931880698/

That being said (while it might be assumed in the first example) in both cases there is no clear indication if the lens is used fully open, so that doesn't make it any clearer. So it would be great if you can share a shot fully open with distinct bokeh highlights. Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So weather was bad, is bad and is supossed to stay bad for the next two weeks. Time to walk into the cellar and to take out the Christmas lights again!

This is the 60mm set to f/4, it's nominal wide open position:

The aperture blade curvature and the points of overlap can be seen if one looks closely.

The situation is improved once the aperture ring is moved to its endstop slightly beyond f/4:

A slight unroundness still remains.

Last edited by Christian S. on Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian S. wrote:
So weather was bad, is bad and is supossed to stay bad for the next two weeks. Time to walk into the cellar and to take out the Christmas lights again!

This is the 60mm set to f/4, it's nominal wide open position:

The aperture blade curvature and the points of overlap can be seen if one looks closely.

The situation is improved once the aperture ring is moved to its endstop slightly beyond f/4:

A slightly unroundness still remains.

Many thanks - quite fascinating as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shipment of the M58 helicoid and the M42-M58 thread adapter arrived on Friday, but the seller forgot to add the M58-GFX adapter to the parcel Sad

So another two weeks minimum before I will be able to get rid if the vignetting on near field images. I will resume posting more samples when the adapter arrives.